Myles Garrett vs. TJ Watt

BlaqOptic

Myles Garrett vs. TJ Watt  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Better Player/Who Would GMs Take?

• Garrett/Garrett
    • Garrett/Watt
    • Watt/Watt
    • Watt/Garrett

People taking Garrett are probably just using a style points as a grading scale. At the end of the day, Watt has been the better, more consistent player from day one. And has had more of an impact for his team game in game out. I'll take Watt and his normal PPE use helmet. It is close though...

Edited by Nex_Gen
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

People taking Garrett are probably just using a style points as a grading scale. At the end of the day, Watt has been the better, more consistent player from day one. And has had more of an impact for his team game in game out. I'll take Watt and his normal PPE use helmet. It is close though...

Any stats to back that up? Because we can actually measure Garrett's impact because our defense was statistically much worse once he was suspended.

7 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Any stats to back that up? Because we can actually measure Garrett's impact because our defense was statistically much worse once he was suspended.

Impact is measured in positive output. Not negative input. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 11:10 PM, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

It’s Garret by a land slide on talent alone. Just an unreal can’t miss prospect.. Would love to see Myles in a more stable and talented team with coaching. Dude has the potential to avg 16-19 sacks a year. 

Tj is all hard work and dedication. And he’s done great for himself. But he has some beast in that Dline that! Simplify his actions. To this day does TJ see a lot of doubles? Anyone got any numbers? 

Numbers say TJ.. But man I would suck a apple dry to have Myles on the rams with Donald. 

He usually does when the RT for the opposing team isn't that good and he just owns him all game, they'll put a tight end to block and even a fullback to double team him especially after Tuitt was injured ...

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 11:52 AM, Nex_Gen said:

What are you talking about? Garrett's pressure metrics run Watt's out of the gym their first two years???

PFR doesn't have the total output for 2017, but they do have QB hits where Garrett wins 18 to 13.

In 2018 they have Garrett at 13.5 sacks and 48 total pressures compared to Watt at 13 sacks and 38 total pressures. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What are you talking about? Garrett's pressure metrics run Watt's out of the gym their first two years???

PFR doesn't have the total output for 2017, but they do have QB hits where Garrett wins 18 to 13.

In 2018 they have Garrett at 13.5 sacks and 48 total pressures compared to Watt at 13 sacks and 38 total pressures. 

1.) That's not running anything out of the gym...

2.) 10 more pressures when rushing almost exclusively....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

1.) That's not running anything out of the gym...

2.) 10 more pressures when rushing almost exclusively....

1. That's 20% more pressures. That's a lot

2. The disadvantage of coverage snaps is obvious. Less opportunities. The advantage is that when you go, you get to be the 5th rusher which is a more efficient rush role. 

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

1. That's 20% more pressures. That's a lot

2. The disadvantage of coverage snaps is obvious. Less opportunities. The advantage is that when you go, you get to be the 5th rusher which is a more efficient rush role. 

That's literally not how it works... Have you ever watched a 3-4 defense operate?

• Like 1

TJ Watt has always easily been the more impactful defender when the Ravens face the divisional foes. I could care less about the metrics in Garrett’s favor, if I could eliminate a player from a divisional foe with some sort of magical eraser it would quite easily be Watt. Garrett’s impact is largely erased, perhaps because Ronnie Stanley is an All Pro LT, but even considering that element... Watt makes impact players in coverage as well as in off the ball roles to create force fumbles. You just can’t keep him from making an impact on the game, his disruption just consistently feels inevitable, whereas with Garrett I can’t say the same.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

TJ Watt has always easily been the more impactful defender when the Ravens face the divisional foes. I could care less about the metrics in Garrett’s favor, if I could eliminate a player from a divisional foe with some sort of magical eraser it would quite easily be Watt. Garrett’s impact is largely erased, perhaps because Ronnie Stanley is an All Pro LT, but even considering that element... Watt makes impact players in coverage as well as in off the ball roles to create force fumbles. You just can’t keep him from making an impact on the game, his disruption just consistently feels inevitable, whereas with Garrett I can’t say the same.

Garrett had 2 sacks and 3 QB hits against the Ravens in 2018???

On 4/3/2020 at 6:56 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Or maybe it's because TJ Watt is a stud, but Garrett is better.

I wish we could have NFL GM's polled on this one to see the overwhelming majority vote Garrett.

ok bleed what type of numbers dose Myles put up if we draft Simmons and sign Dupree or one of Baltimore linebackers? 

5 hours ago, mtmmike said:

ok bleed what type of numbers dose Myles put up if we draft Simmons and sign Dupree or one of Baltimore linebackers? 

Well Dupree is already back in Pitt. We aren’t trading for one of Baltimores linebackers. 

Simmons wouldn’t change Garrett’s sack production. 

No idea how many sacks he will get. The dude is a beast, but sacks can be a bit flukey. I’d say between 16 & 20, but idk. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Garrett had 2 sacks and 3 QB hits against the Ravens in 2018???

😂

You really want to do this?? Okay, I will show you how foolish you look here; One your stat totals are wrong. Also those numbers aren’t in ONE game. They’re across two games. So let’s compare Garrett and Watt and their impact in games against the Ravens in their careers.

Myles Garrett

4 games, 1.5 sks, 4 solo, 1 TFL, 3 QBHs, 0 FFs, 1 PD

Avg: 0.375 sks, 1 solo, 0.25 TFL, 0.75 QBH, 0 FF, 0.25 PD

Game 1- 2017: 0 sk, 1 solo, 0 TFL, 0 QBH, 0 FF, 1 PD

Game 2- 2018: 0.5 sk, 1 solo, 0 TFL, 2 QBH, 0 FFs, 0 PD

Game 3- 2018: 1 sk, 1 solo,1 TFL, 0 QBH, 0 FFs, 0 PD

Game 4- 2019: 0 sk, 1 solo, 0 TFL, 0 QBH, 0 FF, 0 PD

TJ Watt

6 games, 2.5 sks, 23 solo, 5 TFL, 6 QBH, 2 FFs, 2 PDs

Avg: 0.42 sks, 3.83 solo, 0.83 TFL, 1 QBH, 0.33 FFs, 0.33 PDs

Game 1- 2017: 0 sk, 4 solo, 1 TFL, 0 QBH, 0 FF, 1 PD

Game 2- 2017: 1 sk, 4 solo, 1 TFL, 3 QBH, 1 FF, 0 PD

Game 3- 2018: 0 sk, 3 solo, 0 TFL, 0 QBH, 0 FFs, 0 PD

Game 4- 2018: 0 sk, 4 solo, 0 TFL, 0 QBH, 0 FFs, 0 PD

Game 5- 2019: 1 sk, 4 solo, 3 TFL, 1 QBH, 0 FF, 0 PD

Game 6- 2019: 0.5 sk, 4 solo, 0 TFL, 2 QBH, 1 FF, 1 PD

So like I said in my post, TJ Watt has EASILY been the more impactful player vs the Ravens. He’s getting basically 4x the amount of tackles and tackles for loss, he’s going to create forced fumbles at a decent clip, all while still being more impactful in sacks and QB hits. Garrett gets a tackle/game.

And it’s not like both players aren’t seeing a lot of attention their way, but with Watt he’s hustling way more than Garrett, he’s way more versatile than Garrett, and he’s got better football instincts than Garrett.

So yeah as far as I’m concerned when it comes to the Ravens playing either of these guys, I would EASILY choose to see Garrett over seeing Watt. Which isn’t to say that Garrett is trash or something, I’m simply saying the on the field impact against my team has not been close.

So this is clearly a situation with you being all up in the Kool-Aid and you don’t even know the flavor.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

😂

You really want to do this?? Okay, I will show you how foolish you look here; One your stat totals are wrong. Also those numbers aren’t in ONE game. They’re across two games. So let’s compare Garrett and Watt and their impact in games against the Ravens in their careers.

Myles Garrett

4 games, 1.5 sks, 4 solo, 1 TFL, 3 QBHs, 0 FFs, 1 PD

Avg: 0.375 sks, 1 solo, 0.25 TFL, 0.75 QBH, 0 FF, 0.25 PD

Game 1- 2017: 0 sk, 1 solo, 0 TFL, 0 QBH, 0 FF, 1 PD

Game 2- 2018: 0.5 sk, 1 solo, 0 TFL, 2 QBH, 0 FFs, 0 PD

Game 3- 2018: 1 sk, 1 solo,1 TFL, 0 QBH, 0 FFs, 0 PD

Game 4- 2019: 0 sk, 1 solo, 0 TFL, 0 QBH, 0 FF, 0 PD

TJ Watt

6 games, 2.5 sks, 23 solo, 5 TFL, 6 QBH, 2 FFs, 2 PDs

Avg: 0.42 sks, 3.83 solo, 0.83 TFL, 1 QBH, 0.33 FFs, 0.33 PDs

Game 1- 2017: 0 sk, 4 solo, 1 TFL, 0 QBH, 0 FF, 1 PD

Game 2- 2017: 1 sk, 4 solo, 1 TFL, 3 QBH, 1 FF, 0 PD

Game 3- 2018: 0 sk, 3 solo, 0 TFL, 0 QBH, 0 FFs, 0 PD

Game 4- 2018: 0 sk, 4 solo, 0 TFL, 0 QBH, 0 FFs, 0 PD

Game 5- 2019: 1 sk, 4 solo, 3 TFL, 1 QBH, 0 FF, 0 PD

Game 6- 2019: 0.5 sk, 4 solo, 0 TFL, 2 QBH, 1 FF, 1 PD

So like I said in my post, TJ Watt has EASILY been the more impactful player vs the Ravens. He’s getting basically 4x the amount of tackles and tackles for loss, he’s going to create forced fumbles at a decent clip, all while still being more impactful in sacks and QB hits. Garrett gets a tackle/game.

And it’s not like both players aren’t seeing a lot of attention their way, but with Watt he’s hustling way more than Garrett, he’s way more versatile than Garrett, and he’s got better football instincts than Garrett.

So yeah as far as I’m concerned when it comes to the Ravens playing either of these guys, I would EASILY choose to see Garrett over seeing Watt. Which isn’t to say that Garrett is trash or something, I’m simply saying the on the field impact against my team has not been close.

So this is clearly a situation with you being all up in the Kool-Aid and you don’t even know the flavor.

Dumbass,

Everybody knows the Ravens and the Browns played twice in 2018. They're in the same division. I just assumed you were bright enough to not need that explained to you. Shame on me for giving you too much credit.

Obviously Watt has been more effective against the Ravens. The point being argued against wasn't that. It was your flawed argument that Garrett hasn't done anything against the Ravens. When you have two sacks and three QB hits against a team in a year (even if it is two games) that's definitely doing something. 

• Like 2