Myles Garrett vs. TJ Watt

BlaqOptic

Myles Garrett vs. TJ Watt  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Better Player/Who Would GMs Take?

• Garrett/Garrett
    • Garrett/Watt
    • Watt/Watt
    • Watt/Garrett

As of Week 5:

TJ Watt: 4 Games, 12 Tackles, 8 Tackles For Loss, 4.5 Sacks, 13 QB Hits, 18 Pressures, 2 Passes Defensed, 1 Interception

Myles Garrett: 5 Games, 15 Tackles, 3 Tackles For Loss, 6 Sacks, 10 QB Hits, 15 Pressures, 3 Forced Fumbles, 

Edited by BlaqOptic
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

About time to dust this thing off

Not sure why, the arguments haven’t really changed. Garrett has just played an extra game.

Watt could quite easily put together a 2 sack performance and/or 2 FF performance. Garrett’s FFs this season is great and all but it’s something that Watt is known for.

Garrett might be the superior pass rusher (might), but Watt is the superior football player overall. Far more versatile.

edit: But this season to this point isn’t something that is likely to change anyone’s opinions of the two players. Heck my main argument from before was how Garrett has largely been quite in games against the Ravens while Watt dominates to a far higher degree.

The Ravens have yet to see Watt, but we’ve seen Garrett and he’s largely lived up to that same narrative.

Edited by diamondbull424

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 12:37 AM, diamondbull424 said:

Not sure why, the arguments haven’t really changed. Garrett has just played an extra game.

Watt could quite easily put together a 2 sack performance and/or 2 FF performance. Garrett’s FFs this season is great and all but it’s something that Watt is known for.

Garrett might be the superior pass rusher (might), but Watt is the superior football player overall. Far more versatile.

edit: But this season to this point isn’t something that is likely to change anyone’s opinions of the two players. Heck my main argument from before was how Garrett has largely been quite in games against the Ravens while Watt dominates to a far higher degree.

The Ravens have yet to see Watt, but we’ve seen Garrett and he’s largely lived up to that same narrative.

The backpedal is real 😂:

-You all were arguing all of these stats now when Garrett didn't play as many games and Watt accumulated more stats and now, "gArReTt hAs pLaYeD aN eXtRa gAmE"

-Watt is still playing on a LOADED defense while Garrett is still paying a poor defense and is the sole focus of team's whole blocking scheme and is playing at a DPOY level (Just like last year until the incident)

-Garrett still doesn't have an support around him, Olivier Vernon has 0 sacks on the other side and the starting line around him have accumulated 2.5 sacks and thats all by Sheldon Richardson

-My argument still remains that Watt would not be the player he is on a poor defense with no support

-Garrett and Watt have two different ceilings (And just imagine if he were on a line like Washington or even Pittsburgh), you would already be hearing the words HOF

On 10/12/2020 at 10:39 PM, BlaqOptic said:

As of Week 5:

TJ Watt: 4 Games, 12 Tackles, 8 Tackles For Loss, 4.5 Sacks, 13 QB Hits, 18 Pressures, 2 Passes Defensed, 1 Interception

Myles Garrett: 5 Games, 15 Tackles, 3 Tackles For Loss, 6 Sacks, 10 QB Hits, 15 Pressures, 3 Forced Fumbles, 

As of Week 8:

TJ Watt: 6 Games, 20 Tackles, 12 Tackles For Loss, 5.5 Sacks, 16 QB Hits, 3 Passes Defensed, 1 Interception 

Myles Garrett: 7 Games, 22 Tackles, 5 Tackles For Loss, 9.0 Sacks, 13 QB Hits, 4 Forced Fumbles, 2 Fumble Recoveries 

Garrett seems to have started this season off better this year but I'm much more concerned about dealing with TJ this Sunday than I was concerned about Myles leading up to the week 1 game. Browns and Steelers fans can take from that what they will but 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

As of Week 8:

TJ Watt: 6 Games, 20 Tackles, 12 Tackles For Loss, 5.5 Sacks, 16 QB Hits, 3 Passes Defensed, 1 Interception 

Myles Garrett: 7 Games, 22 Tackles, 5 Tackles For Loss, 9.0 Sacks, 13 QB Hits, 4 Forced Fumbles, 2 Fumble Recoveries 

Okay so what you’re saying is that Watt has more stops behind the LOS with 17.5 vs 14 for Garrett in less games and still hasn’t played the Bengals to earn more turnovers and impact plays behind the LOS? Cool beans.

You're also incredibly confused. Look at my post where it considers the production/game. So don’t lump other people’s arguments on mines and act as though it somehow is all inclusive to my point. Which is Watt does so much more that even if he were to receive as much attention as Garrett he’d make a greater impact because he could make an impact in other ways besides simply rushing the passer.

In terms of my comment, I still stand by it, but it was also made a whole two weeks ago. 😂

Like since that statement was made, two more games have happened and more information introduced. We’re almost at the midpoint of the season. Once there then we can discuss a little more realistically positions on players. But after only what 4 games there isn’t anything that would drastically change an opinion. Especially when TJ Watt was also in the DPOY conversation last season and easily could’ve won it himself. So Garrett having a strong start to this season doesn’t somehow trump recent history.

The conversation between the two players was always “close” and after 4 games, I don’t see why anyone would’ve changed their opinion. Given 8-12 games? Maybe that would be enough time, maybe. But the Browns have gone through the easier portion of their schedule having already played the Bengals terrible OL twice for MG to feast off of. While TJ Watt hasn’t played against them at all. That’s definitely the kind of OL where Watt could go off for 5-6 sacks in two games vs them and it wouldn’t “shock” anyone at all.

So yes, MG having a strong start to a season doesn’t somehow change the positions seen in this thread until more evidence can be provided to change said opinions.

But even then, MG did not produce anything special against the Ravens. He had an impact on the game, but only marginal. Watt has consistently been better against the Ravens, which was my point, so what NEW evidence do you have to suggest that my point on that has been disproven? You can’t, because it’s not there. Maybe you could somehow argue that the Ravens extended Ronnie Stanley to a record deal (sort of) because of MG being in the division? But that’s about as much new evidence you could use.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Garrett seems to have started this season off better this year but I'm much more concerned about dealing with TJ this Sunday than I was concerned about Myles leading up to the week 1 game. Browns and Steelers fans can take from that what they will but 🤷‍♂️

I take from it that its much harder to stop Cam Heyward, Bud Dupree, Stephon Tuitt and TJ Watt all being single blocked than it is stopping Myles Garrett being double teamed.

6 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Ravens. He had an impact on the game, but only marginal. Watt has consistently been better against the Ravens

Who else in the browns front 7 besides Myles Garrett, does an opposing OC have worry about?   

who else in the Steelers front 7 besides Watt, does an opposing OC have to worry about? Hayward, Tuitt, and Dupree

So you can greatly scheme against Garrett cause no one else will stop you. Look at the Steelers game. they were throwing a lot more quick game and were running away from Garrett.  Can’t really run away from Watt cause that means your running toward Dupree and Hayward/TuittE

I think what's most insulting with Watt is when people downplay his athleticism and claim he's just some super try-hard guy. There's a reason for that. One that can't be discussed much on this site, but he didn't test that way and he doesn't play that way though yea he plays with great effort. And teams double or chip him on a regular basis. He's the top priority on passing downs by a wide margin and opens things up for guys like Dupree. He still wins.

1 hour ago, CKSteeler said:

I think what's most insulting with Watt is when people downplay his athleticism and claim he's just some super try-hard guy. There's a reason for that. One that can't be discussed much on this site, but he didn't test that way and he doesn't play that way though yea he plays with great effort. And teams double or chip him on a regular basis. He's the top priority on passing downs by a wide margin and opens things up for guys like Dupree. He still wins.

I dont think anyone is arguing that he is not super athletic, hes one of the best DEs in the NFL and a great pass rusher. I just dont think that he gets game planned for and demands the attention of the entire offense on every play like Garrett does. A lot of it has to do with the fact the Steelers front 7 is full of players who can hurt a team therefore teams cant just focus on one player and slide protection all the time.