Titans resign Correa

ttitansfan4life

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean, that does mean our pass rush is much better than it was last season.

Does it? I thought most hated the Beasley signing because he doesn’t get a ton of pressures and it’s all just fluke sacks? Plus losing Casey for a 7th doesn’t help anything.

2 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Does it? I thought most hated the Beasley signing because he doesn’t get a ton of pressures and it’s all just fluke sacks? Plus losing Casey for a 7th doesn’t help anything.

Casey isn’t part of the edge equation. Beasley plays better when used correctly. The Falcons put him inside way too much, and that’s one reason he never replicated his 15 sack season. It’s definitely not fluke sacks when you average 8 pers season in the wrong scheme.

Either way, Beasley is a big improvement over Wake, and Walker and Roberson should add more this season. That’s an absolute improvement.

I honestly think Clowney is a waste of resources at this point.  That money would better be spent on veterans that we can use to fix our depth.  Would you rather have a great pass rush and be super thin in a bunch of places, or a good pass rush and have good depth options across the board?

Plus there's still the draft.  Fix other positions where you don't have desperate needs and you can afford to spend a luxury pick on a pass rusher early on.

14 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I honestly think Clowney is a waste of resources at this point.  That money would better be spent on veterans that we can use to fix our depth.  Would you rather have a great pass rush and be super thin in a bunch of places, or a good pass rush and have good depth options across the board?

Plus there's still the draft.  Fix other positions where you don't have desperate needs and you can afford to spend a luxury pick on a pass rusher early on.

You basically just contradicted yourself. Yes the draft is still left and our main depth positions we need are QB2, RB2, DL, and CB. DL would be helped a lot with the signing of Clowney. Draft a CB high to go with a two pretty solid CBs in Adoree and Butler. Maybe add a low vet and draft another CB late with one of those 3 7th round picks. Robinson sounded like he has Kelly pegged as the starting RT and they just signed Sambrailo to I assume be the swing OT. I still could see an OL drafted especially one that can play all 3 interior spots. I mean outside of DL, CB, RB2, and QB2, the roster seems kind of set. The OLB depth would be incredible if they added Clowney, safety depth is great, and ILB depth is good. Receivers seem set at least the top 3 with guys like Batson and Raymond battling for #4. Probably add a rookie there as well. TE seems set with the same 3 returning. I think if they add Clowney, they need to add a bigger NT type to help on early downs because on pass downs they’d be pretty set. You have Landry - Simmons - Clowney - Beasley as the front 4 on pass downs with I’m assuming Crawford as the pass-rush interior help(same with Mack although he can play on run downs). Then Landry-Simmons-Jones-Clowney as the early down players. Clowney does a lot of things for that front 7 because of his versilty. I think finding some depth is a lot easier than finding someone who could provide the impact he could.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

I've liked Correa since we got him... And I think he's ideal as a rotation 3rd/4th guy in and spot starter, which he'll be with Landry and Beasley ahead of him. I still hope they spend a high ish pick on an edge... And I can see it especially if they get a slot in FA. (Just looking past this year, there's still a huge need at edge, 26th Beasley and Correa not signed past this season). 

I hear the Clowney talk, but I still don't see it... haven't seen it since the Beasley signing. I dont care how versatile he is, he's just better outside... You're not paying that much money to move him out of his comfort zone. 

With Crawford and Correa signed, all we really need is a slot cb and a vet backup RB... Then  address 3 of OT, Edge, CB, DL with the first 3 rounds. 

5 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

You basically just contradicted yourself. Yes the draft is still left and our main depth positions we need are QB2, RB2, DL, and CB. DL would be helped a lot with the signing of Clowney. Draft a CB high to go with a two pretty solid CBs in Adoree and Butler. Maybe add a low vet and draft another CB late with one of those 3 7th round picks. Robinson sounded like he has Kelly pegged as the starting RT and they just signed Sambrailo to I assume be the swing OT. I still could see an OL drafted especially one that can play all 3 interior spots. I mean outside of DL, CB, RB2, and QB2, the roster seems kind of set. The OLB depth would be incredible if they added Clowney, safety depth is great, and ILB depth is good. Receivers seem set at least the top 3 with guys like Batson and Raymond battling for #4. Probably add a rookie there as well. TE seems set with the same 3 returning. I think if they add Clowney, they need to add a bigger NT type to help on early downs because on pass downs they’d be pretty set. You have Landry - Simmons - Clowney - Beasley as the front 4 on pass downs with I’m assuming Crawford as the pass-rush interior help(same with Mack although he can play on run downs). Then Landry-Simmons-Jones-Clowney as the early down players. Clowney does a lot of things for that front 7 because of his versilty. I think finding some depth is a lot easier than finding someone who could provide the impact he could.

I'm not contradicting myself.  The draft is best played when you're free to take the best player available.  And we don't need depth at DL and CB.  We need starters.  That eats up two draft picks by itself.  Where we need depth is QB, RB, OL, and WR.  We won't really get quality depth from those positions in the seventh round, and we still have to get a kicker.  It can be done, but that essentially means we have to have the draft play out perfectly with no margin of error.

Even then, if that works out, we have a rookie DL and a rookie CB that will be starting immediately with squat behind the CB and Mack/Dickerson and a 31 year old Crawford the only things behind the rookie DL, Simmons, and Jones.

It also means not having the freedom to take advantage of a great player that falls without then creating a weakness.  And even then, that doesn't solve our depth issues.  When you lose 20 free agents, you can't just sign 10 and be the same team, and if Tennessee is going to be a playoff caliber team without relying on a top end QB, we can't really afford weaknesses on the roster.

Lastly, it means not being able to take the stock we need to address 2021 in the draft, like Robinson likes to do, because we're using all our picks to fix the problems we have now.

In this scenario, we'd have a fantastic pass rush, but only for this year, and there's a god chance we'd be weak or thin at multiple positions.  I'm not saying Clowney doesn't make us a good team; I'm saying Clowney doesn't make us the best team we can be.