Eagles Mock Draft - A reintroduction

PhiCelek87

Hey all,

I was on the old boards and have primarily lurked for the last few years, but with everyone home-bound, I have been fiddling with offseason/mock drafts and thought I would post here to get some feedback.

Signing:

LB. A. Ogletree 1 yr 3.5 m - Cheap veteran, who can tackle, and fill a two-down role.  There is potential that he gets beaten out for a job, but provides insurance in case the younger kids are not ready.

QB. J. McCown 1 yr 4.5 m - Given the team's lack of interest in the back-up QB market, I think they are waiting on McCown to provide them with an answer.  I think McCown is the preferred option compared to other alternatives in that he knows the offense, he's a lockerroom presence, has a good relationship with Wentz and is more talented even at an advanced age than most of the alternatives.

Extension: 

Zach Ertz 4yr 48m - I would frontload this deal to eat some extra money this year to drive down the cost next year when the cap becomes a problem.  Ertz is a great player, has always done things the right way and plays a position where great players usually age fairly gracefully.

Trade:

Eagles trade 1.21 to the Panthers for 2.38, WR. C. Samuel, 5.152 - This trade works on a couple of fronts.  First, the Eagles do not force the pick at 21 (where in this scenario, Carolina is coming up to get Jordan Love).  They move back a few spots, get a look at one-year look at a wide receiver that can get vertical, but also is capable of getting separation on most of the route tree.  Even if Samuel does not seize a starting job, he upgrade the position's depth quite a bit and with a draft pick in addition to Samuel, will lessen the reliance on Jeffery and JJAW to be productive players next year.

Eagles trade CB. R. Douglas to the NY Jets for 2021 conditional 5th/6th - crowded DB room, get an extra pick for next year and Rasul reunites with Joe Douglas in New York.

Draft:

2.38. EDGE. J. Zaun / Wisconsin - I am seeing Zaun as a potential Connor Barwin/Brian Orakpo type, who can handle both 4-3 linebacker responsibilities, but also can put his hand on the ground in dime and nickel packages.  Plus make-up and motor, but with skills to counter blocks.  Looking ahead, the versatility becomes even more valuable as Zaun can be asked to fill a more defined role based on roster needs in the future.  For now though, he's more a jack-of-all type that can be deployed as a movable chess piece in the short term. 

2.52. WR. KJ Hamler / Penn State - Hamler is an explosive player that we could use inside or outside, but we will not have to rely on following the addition Samuel.  Long term, I think Hamler has Brandin Cooks upside, but even if Hamler does not reach those heights in his first season, he is a presence that defenses have to respect.  With Ertz, Goedert, Ward, Sanders and Scott, the Eagles have players that can eat in the middle and underneath, and Hamler is the type that can open up those areas of field OR make defenses pay if they do not.

3.103 LB. T. Dye / Oregon - A fast linebacker with good processing and diagnosis of run/pass.  His primary weakness is strength, which he has the frame to add some weight and can help be covered for by the fact that this team can rotate three high-end defensive tackles to eat big bodies and keep Dye open to make plays in the run game.  There is a good shot that he is a day-one starter on this team at one of the three linebacker positions, but my preference is at MIKE or WILL.

4.127 RB/WR. A. Gibson / Memphis - Another versatile player, Gibson functioned primarily as a slot receiver at Memphis, but has the build and shown enough skills as a running back to warrant making the transition.  The athleticism is off the charts on this player and the uncertainty regarding future position is pushing him down the board a bit, but others' loss is the Eagles gain here.  As a back, Gibson has a bigger build, something they are currently lacking, but he also has hands and versatility.  Gibson will give the Eagles a trifecta of backs that can catch the football, which is truly invaluable and will keep the defense guessing.  As a third back, Gibson can learn the position fully and without pressure.  They can also incorporate sub-packages to get him slot looks and the occasional jet sweep while he makes the transition.

4.145 OT. B. Bartch / St. John's - Small school kid, but I think Bartch has the goods to end up being a capable back-up at multiple OL spots - the new Vitai.  Bartch is an athletic kid, a former tight end, that had a great deal of success despite being raw and learning the position on the job.  There is some speculation that he may struggle to add weight, but at 6-6", I think the frame is large enough that if he can add.  

4.146 CB. H. Hand / Temple - Hand reminds me a bit of Sheldon Brown and I think he has the goods to stick at corner.  He has a ton of thump, is opportunistic and competitive.  While he will not be flawless in man coverage, he can compete and has the ability to win battles at the ball's high point.  Even if he ends up being a little to slow to stick at corner, I think he could handle safety quite well.

5.152. C. J. Hanson / Oregon - Hanson was hyped as a potential Day 2 pick at this time last year.  Hanson is mobile and heady.  He reminds me a good bit of Kelce.  Yes, he can get overpowered at times, but at center, I think you can scheme around that.  Hanson's strength is getting out into space quickly and take care of business at the second level.  There have been murmurs of retirement for Kelce the last two offseasons - this gives the staff a year to evaluate Hanson to see if we need to expend a higher pick next year or have filled the position with a similar player for a less than premium pick.

5.168. LB. L. Wilson / Wyoming - The Eagles have been tied to Wilson recently.  I do not believe he is a possible second day pick mostly because of the position.  He's a downhill linebacker, who can read the situation, fill the gap and does not miss many tackles.  Coming primarily from a zone defense background, there is some concern that Wilson will struggle in man coverage, but you can only play how you are schemed and he was very good in zone so the coverage instincts may be able to carry into man.  At minimum, he's a two-down backer and standout special teams player.   With Zaun as a movable chess piece, along with the drafting of more traditional linebackers in Dye and Wilson and the signing of Ogletree, the Eagles have revamped the unit with quality players to come in and compete.

6.190 S. D. Hamlin / Pittsburgh - a rangy center fielder, who possesses both the speed and awareness to track and get to balls thrown down the field.  Hamlin is a willing tackler, but his lean build leaves him susceptible to being overpowered.  He is expected to be a plus contributor on special teams.  

QB. C. Wentz / J. McCown/ N. Sudfeld

RB. M. Sanders / B. Scott / A. Gibson

WR1. D. Jackson/KJ Hamler/JJ Arcega-Whiteside / D. Burnett

WR2. C. Samuel/A. Jeffery / R. Davis

SLOT. G. Ward/KJ Hamler

TE. Z. Ertz/D. Goedert

LT. A. Dillard/L. Johnson/B. Bartch

LG. I. Seamulo / M. Pryor

C. J. Kelce / J. Hanson

RG. B. Brooks / M. Pryor

RT. L. Johnson / J. Mailata

DE. B. Graham / G. Avery / S. Miller

DT. F. Cox / M. Jackson / 

DT. J. Hargrave / H. Ridgeway

DE. D. Barnett / J. Zaun / J. Sweat

SAM. J. Zaun / A. Ogletree / L. Wilson / D. Riley

MIKE. A. Ogletree / T. Dye / T.J. Edwards

WILL. N. Gerry / T. Dye / J. Brown

CB1. D. Slay / C. Leblanc / H. Hand 

CB2. A. Maddox / S. Jones

SLOT. N. Robey-Coleman/C. Leblanc

S. R. McLeod / J. Mills / R. Ford

S. W. Parks / J. Mills / D. Hamlin

K. J. Elliott

P. C. Johnston

LS. R. Lovato

5 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Lmao @ Zaun, maybe he's tight with him and that's what they call him?

He clearly did his homework. There must be a guy on Wisconsin named J Zaun, who has entirely slipped through the cracks of the pre-draft process due to playing in the shadow of like-named Zack Baun. I bet his first name is Jack. Jack Zaun, unheralded tweener DE/OLB that has no business playing edge in a Jim Schwartz D.

Edited by Jeezla

4 hours ago, PhiCelek87 said:

Extension: 

Zach Ertz 4yr 48m - I would frontload this deal to eat some extra money this year to drive down the cost next year when the cap becomes a problem.  Ertz is a great player, has always done things the right way and plays a position where great players usually age fairly gracefully.

Ok but why though?

Literally zero reason for us to do this.

15 hours ago, Danger said:

Ok but why though?

Literally zero reason for us to do this.

Guy likes to live dangerously. Taking a shot on a guy like J. Zaun, giving away essentially a 2nd rounder for Curtis Samuel and rolling with him as our starting X receiver... He's a risk taker. 

2 hours ago, Folesadelphia said:

Guy likes to live dangerously. Taking a shot on a guy like J. Zaun, giving away essentially a 2nd rounder for Curtis Samuel and rolling with him as our starting X receiver... He's a risk taker. 

We still have him for this year and next. He'll be 31 by the time he's playing on a new contract and he's already rejected a $14M AAV extension so we've heard last year. We have Goedert who is going to be younger and his prime, and who's contract is up at the same time. There's no chance you're keeping both of them. Why keep the one who's going to be in the twilight of his career, who'll cost more, and who ultimately doesn't have as high of a ceiling. Goedert may or may not be as good as Ertz, but he has the potential to be even better.

2 hours ago, Danger said:

We still have him for this year and next. He'll be 31 by the time he's playing on a new contract and he's already rejected a $14M AAV extension so we've heard last year. We have Goedert who is going to be younger and his prime, and who's contract is up at the same time. There's no chance you're keeping both of them. Why keep the one who's going to be in the twilight of his career, who'll cost more, and who ultimately doesn't have as high of a ceiling. Goedert may or may not be as good as Ertz, but he has the potential to be even better.

I was being sarcastic. Who in gods name is J. Zaun? Or gives up second round value for Curtis Samuel?