Vikings FFMD20 War Room

RpMc

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

That was kind of foolish, you just lost your starting CB, unless you think Witherspoon is the starter which now he has to be along with Sherman.  But Williams is a decent slot guy and Reed has potential I guess.  You stole Epenesa though, surprised you did not take Gallimore though but Epenesa is a better value.  Would be interesting to see if Solomon Thomas can become a more legit player as a DT instead of a edge guy.

Must say other teams being able to eavesdrop on whatever war room you want should be cheating in some way, oh well.

He's going into the season in a competition, he's not the starter moving forward. He's also in the last year of being cheap and was a UDFA 2 years ago. We feel pretty comfortable that it's more of a byproduct of the defense around him more so than anything else. We are fine with Spoon + someone else along with Sherman and and K'waun. We felt okay with that. 

• Like 1

Another reason i think waiting on a S makes sense is this staff has a knack for developing guys that werent highly drafted. Harris, Sendejo, & Kearse. I think a mid round pick & a veteran would do just fine without Harris. As Zim said, safety isnt super important in this defense. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

I respect Jordan Reid (the twitter NFL draft scout) and he raves about Burgess. Seems like a player that could also potentially play in the slot. https://www.nfl.com/prospects/terrell-burgess?id=32194255-5210-2577-4960-9b8e33e83c2a For those who maybe dont know who he is. 

On Davis, he is as physically gifted as any safety in the draft & will make for an excellent FS. Probably not a box guy, but very good in coverage. https://www.rotoworld.com/college-football/nfl-draft/player/49588/ashtyn-davis A little piece on him. 

I do not read articles on who others say are good.  I still say Cam Bynum is the best DB on Cal and is the one who stood out to me watching them, Davis never really stood out to me.  And same with Burgess, sure had a good combine but I thought Blackmon his teammate has more upside and coverage ability.  But that is just on the games I watched Utah and Cal and is just my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

Another reason i think waiting on a S makes sense is this staff has a knack for developing guys that werent highly drafted. Harris, Sendejo, & Kearse. I think a mid round pick & a veteran would do just fine without Harris. As Zim said, safety isnt super important in this defense. 

That is bull because Harrison Smith was a 1st round pick obviously and without him none of this would have worked.  Sure finding Sendejo was great along with Harris.  But Harris honestly no clue why he was not drafted, I had him ranked as #1 or #2 safety in that draft class, I think I had him ranked over Landon Collins possibly but would have to go back and look.

If they were so good at developing safeties then why is there no young safety currently on the roster waiting to become the starter?  Will see, but if they have a question mark safety start next year that D is going to suck.  Kearse I had more highly rated than a 7th round pick because of his length, and I am still pissed they let him walk for freaking $2 million, that is it?  Guy could have started for us for that nothing amount of money in terms of the NFL.  

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's going into the season in a competition, he's not the starter moving forward. He's also in the last year of being cheap and was a UDFA 2 years ago. We feel pretty comfortable that it's more of a byproduct of the defense around him more so than anything else. We are fine with Spoon + someone else along with Sherman and and K'waun. We felt okay with that. 

I would have done that deal for a 3rd rounder, Moseley is a better player than who that 3rd rounder will be most likely.  Dude can ball.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I do not read articles on who others say are good.  I still say Cam Bynum is the best DB on Cal and is the one who stood out to me watching them, Davis never really stood out to me.  And same with Burgess, sure had a good combine but I thought Blackmon his teammate has more upside and coverage ability.  But that is just on the games I watched Utah and Cal and is just my opinion.

That is bull because Harrison Smith was a 1st round pick obviously and without him none of this would have worked.  Sure finding Sendejo was great along with Harris.  But Harris honestly no clue why he was not drafted, I had him ranked as #1 or #2 safety in that draft class, I think I had him ranked over Landon Collins possibly but would have to go back and look.

If they were so good at developing safeties then why is there no young safety currently on the roster waiting to become the starter?  Will see, but if they have a question mark safety start next year that D is going to suck.  Kearse I had more highly rated than a 7th round pick because of his length, and I am still pissed they let him walk for freaking $2 million, that is it?  Guy could have started for us for that nothing amount of money in terms of the NFL.  

I would have done that deal for a 3rd rounder, Moseley is a better player than who that 3rd rounder will be most likely.  Dude can ball.

Well part of scouting/learning about players sometimes is also listening to other respected actual scouts and such. PFF is also a very credible source in alot of peoples eyes. Just because you view things a certain way doesnt mean other people are wrong in their evaluations. Ive been dead set on prospects before and they bust & ive also been low on players that have turned out to be really good. But one thing i dont do is claim to know everything about these guys. My opinions on players are usually from me watching them. But its hard to know all the prospects as well, so sometimes i do lean on scouting reports/highlight reels. Some of these guys were actual scouts for NFL teams, which has some credibility imo. But hey, if you know about all these prospects and are always right then good for you. :D

I think these are the up coming picks, how it might play out and what those teams might be looking for.

40 Houston: Tee Higgins Clemson JR WR (SELECTED)
41 Cleveland: Grant Delpit LSU JR S  (SELECTED)
42 Jaguars: Bryce Hall SR CB (SELECTED)
43 Chicago:   KJ Hamler Penn State RS SOPH WR (SELECTED)  

44 Colts: Laviska Shenault Jr. Colorado JR WR   (or go WR or DT)

Leaves with these guys maybe, and would be hard to pass on the RBs and or the S or DE.  And sucks Gallimore is still here, he would be a great pickup if we did not have Chris Jones.   

Kyle Dugger Lenoir-Rhyne SR S
Prince Tega Wanogho Auburn RS SR OT 
AJ Terrell Clemson JR CB
JK Dobbins Ohio State JR RB
Jonathan Taylor Wisconsin JR RB
Curtis Weaver Boise State JR DE
Netane Muti Fresno State RS JR OG
Jonah Jackson Ohio State SR OG
Neville Gallimore Oklahoma RS SR DT
Clyde Edwards-Helaire LSU JR RB

Would have maybe Edwards-Helaire who could drop or Cam Akers 3nd round who have big time ability as well if we pass on the RB.

Have these receivers still around potentially but not sure we should get any of them with this pick.  

WR
Brandon Aiyuk Arizona State SR WR
Lynn Bowden Jr Kentucky JR WR
Chase Claypool Notre Dame SR WR
Antonio Gandy-Golden Liberty SR WR
Bryan Edwards South Carolina SR WR

Edited by Ozzy

33. CIN - Isaiah Wilson (T) Georgia
34. PHI - Jalen Reagor (WR) TCU
35. TB - Ezra Cleveland (T) Boise State
36. NYG - Cesar Ruiz (C) Michigan
37. TB - Ross Blacklock (DT) TCU
38. NYG - Terrell Lewis (EDGE) Alabama
39. TEN - Justin Madubuike (IDL) Texas A&M
40. HOU - Tee Higgins (WR) Clemson

49ers and I have had preliminary talks surrounding Matt Breida as a potential fit for us.  I've let them know that we likely wouldn't give up much for him given that he's a RB in the last year of his contract and his some injury history.  One thing that has floated out, since both teams would be trading from a position of strength, would be a swap of Jaleel Johnson (last year of his deal and now behind Chris Jones/Michael Pierce) and Breida

They've also shown interest in moving from 51 to 45 with Breida as part of the package.

Let me know any thoughts you might have.  As has been pointed out, our offense currently lacks an explosive element, and Breida has registered the top reached speeds in the NFL the last two years.

Edited by RpMc

12 minutes ago, RpMc said:

49ers and I have had preliminary talks surrounding Matt Breida as a potential fit for us.  I've let them know that we likely wouldn't give up much for him given that he's a RB in the last year of his contract and his some injury history.  One thing that has floated out, since both teams would be trading from a position of strength, would be a swap of Jaleel Johnson (last year of his deal and now behind Chris Jones/Michael Pierce) and Breida

They've also shown interest in moving from 51 to 45 with Breida as part of the package.

Let me know any thoughts you might have.  As has been pointed out, our offense currently lacks an explosive element, and Breida has registered the top reached speeds in the NFL the last two years.

Yeah Breida I am not a huge fan of, but would fill a need and get rid of a DT we do not need.  No way I would trade away the 45th pick for him though.  If it is a Johnson for Breida deal sure but honestly I would not even see him as the starter over Mattison.  

Also is Breida better than the backs available currently in this draft, I would say the answer is now.  I would take Dobbins, Taylor, Edwards-Elaire and possibly Akers over him

Edited by Ozzy

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah Breida I am not a huge fan of, but would fill a need and get rid of a DT we do not need.  No way I would trade away the 45th pick for him though.  If it is a Johnson for Breida deal sure but honestly I would not even see him as the starter over Mattison.  

With Cook gone, I envision a near 50/50 split with whoever we pair with Mattison.

16 minutes ago, RpMc said:

With Cook gone, I envision a near 50/50 split with whoever we pair with Mattison.

True but could have been a 40/60 to 35/65 split with Cook and Mattison anyway.  And if we replace Cook with freak Matt Breida I would be pissed, especially for a team that wants to run the ball.  Sure he fills a space but why not draft a dude to fill that space who is better than Breida and will be around more long term.

By the looks of it all these guys could be there and will be a hard choice to make.  If one does not have much faith in Holton Hill Terrell would be a smart choice, rather S but Dugger could be gone.  And Prince there is a perfect fit for a zone blocking scheme but then what is done with Reiff.

Prince Tega Wanogho Auburn RS SR OT 
AJ Terrell Clemson JR CB
JK Dobbins Ohio State JR RB
Jonathan Taylor Wisconsin JR RB
Curtis Weaver Boise State JR DE
Netane Muti Fresno State RS JR OG
Jonah Jackson Ohio State SR OG
Neville Gallimore Oklahoma RS SR DT
Clyde Edwards-Helaire LSU JR RB

20 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True but could have been a 40/60 to 35/65 split with Cook and Mattison anyway.  And if we replace Cook with freak Matt Breida I would be pissed, especially for a team that wants to run the ball.  Sure he fills a space but why not draft a dude to fill that space who is better than Breida and will be around more long term.

Which is why I said I wouldn't give up anything of consequence for him

3 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Dugger and chinn would be cool. What does the big board look like right now?

check the second post of this thread for specifics

Delpit and Hall were the last two off.