Vikings FFMD20 War Room

RpMc

If we are looking for the future, why not trade Harrison Smith instead of Anthony Harris (and then extend Harris)?

Harris is younger, will be cheaper once extended, and you will get more in return for Smith.

Both players rated pretty closely to each other last year, and Harrison is going to decline sooner.

It's a fair conversation to have, but is it guaranteed that Smith falls off before Harris? They're only 15 months different in age and the things that Smith does, to me, are less reliant on physical ability and more reliant on mental processing

Smith is also asked to do more for this defense than Harris and would be more difficult to replace, even with a stopgap.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Almond-Bear-Claws_EXPS_BMZ17_17081_B10_2

Morning doughnut run complete.

Only bear claws today for @vike daddy

Shouldn't we be in favor of clawless Bears?....and toothless Lions....and...and...hmmm...cheeseless Packers??

10 minutes ago, RpMc said:

The entire point of the tag was to not lose a good player for free, they tagged him and immediately started shopping him.  So in that sense, yes, it was to buy time.  What's the point of having Harris for one year, that realistically won't be a Super Bowl year instead of adding another player or two this year, letting them learn on the job, and come back better next year in likely a more competitive year for the team.

Minnesota sports franchises have a terrible habit of being okay with being good, not calling a spade a spade (or a subpar team, subpar), and being stuck in mediocrity for too long.  By letting go of Rhodes, Joseph, Waynes, and Alexander already we've started the re-tooling process; holding on to Harris, especially if it's just for a year, puts a stopper in that process.  The cap space created can be used for veteran signings, re-signing our own players, or rolling forward the unused cap into next year for signings/re-signings.

There are also a few veteran safeties that are available in free agency as well that could be stop-gap players if that's the route we want to go.

Or the entire point is to not pay a player more than what you think he is worth, aka what the Redskins did to Cousin's for what two years.  Rarely is it a good thing to get a franchise tag, it almost seems like a negative now because the organization does not want to commit to you long term with a lot of cash so they do that until you prove it or things change or money opens up, or whatever.

If they are rebuilding though why not rebuild at QB with Jordan Love.  But you are the leader of this fantasy thing and do what you want, assuming they get that $11 million back what do you end up doing with that?  Sure maybe could sign a vet FA or better yet vet CB that would make things a little better come draft time.  At $11 for this one year, as an average that is more than any FA safety in the NFL currently gets a year.  Some got longer term deals but average around 6-8 million a year.  

Cannot get much cheaper at safety than Jayron Kearse 1 year for 2 million, and he actually knew the defensive system.    So not sure FA is the answer and there are not many guys out there, Eric Reid but he is more a box safety and not many good coverage safeties.  There are a lot more decent corners out there in FA, old though than safeties.  

I have more faith character wise in Mike Hughes than Holton Hill.  But I do not think Mike Hughes is the answer at slot and might be better outside.  Hard to say though because he has been injured the past two seasons, half way through his rookie year then at the end of this past season.  I think he would be better as an outside corner with his tackling but really not sold on either one because neither one has been consistent for even a year much less two.  

Just now, RpMc said:

Current Draft Selections

1 - CIN - Joe Burrow
2 - WAS - Chase Young
3 - LAC - Tua Tagovailoa
4 - CAR - Isaiah Simmons
5 - MIA - Justin Herbert
6 - DET - Jeff Okudah
7 - NYG - Andrew Thomas

Wow Chargers taking Tua and trading up for it, is a change but makes sense I guess.  And the Giants took Thomas over Wirfs or Wills?  That is just stupid I feel.  Sure Miami would hate getting Herbert instead of Tua.  

I don't think we're actually rebuilding ... we just extended Cousins ... and Rick/Zim are in contract years ... something tells me they are not interested in a rebuild right now. But if we are actually going with a rebuild FFMD, lets go it. And We might want to trade up for a QBOTF

Edited by CriminalMind

Just now, CriminalMind said:

I don't think we're actually rebuilding ... we just extended Cousins ... and Rick/Zim are in contract years ... something tells me they are not interested in a rebuild right now. But if we are actually going with a rebuild FFMD, I could sign on. And We might want to trade up for a QBOTF

Rick has already been replaced!
<-------

Three of the top 4 QBs are already off the board.

• Like 3