Where Does the Bears Roster Stand Today?

soulman

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Why the **** is Wims "slotted as a starter"? 

I'm pretty sure they are just labeling them as the 3 best WR's right now and placing them in that order and to be honest, Wims IS the 3rd best WR on the roster right now. Ridley is the only competition and he isn't ready. Patterson is a gadget player but not a good WR. 

Wims has solid hands, size, length and a good catch radius but is still a bit rough around the edges in the route running dept. He is fit more for an outside position as a sub than he is a WR who can line up all over the field.  

Right now the WR lineup looks something like this. 

1) Arob - Wims
2) ???
Slot) Miller - Patterson

This is interchangeable of course but only shows just how badly we need a WR who can play opposite of Arob and take pressure off.  Miller is a solid slot and has the potential to be that guy but I'm not sure he is there yet until he gets his head in the game. 

58 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't know why they'd have three wideouts as "starters" in the first place, as the Bears deploy so many different looks. But jeez...could be Wims, could be Ridley, could be someone not on the team yet. A "?" would be as accurate as Wims...and don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Wims supporter, and hope he works out. 

Right now, Wims is slotted as the starter. Ridley did nothing, Patterson is a gadget guy and "someone not on the team yet" isn't on the team yet so he can't be slotted in *right now*

1 QB, 1 RB, 1 TE, 5 OL. That makes room for 3 WR

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

Cohen should be the slot guy.

How exciting *vomits*

Miller should be

Edited by beardown3231

FWIW the SI Top 100 has 16 WRs.  Best WR class since 2014 that included guys like Beckham, Watson, Mike Evans, etc.

I'm feeling fairly certain Pace will finagle his way into drafting one he likes.  He and his guys seem to be pretty good at finding ways to trade down for more picks and still get a guy they want.  So I would not be shocked at all to see them looking for ways to add another Day 2 pick to use on one of the positions we need to fill including WR.

If a WR he has ranked much higher than where he's fallen is there I don't doubt at all his willingness to make a move to get him including once again trading a combo of current and future picks to get it done.  Remember, he's very much in a win now mode and I believe that may have a strong impact on how he drafts.  He'll value guys who can play now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

The OL is still bad, but I think we all know that.

Unless he can add more picks in rounds 3 and 4 Pace is gonna have some tough decisions to make.  Considering we could use help at OG, SS, WR, CB and an OT prospect to develop which position does he prioritize?

If I was asked to take a guess I'd say OG, SS, and WR are at the top of his list but not necessarily in that order.  I think he would prefer to draft the BPA guy available at each pick in round two and quite possibly look to make some trades to get back into late round 3 or early round 4.  But again that's all just an educated guess based on how he's tended to work in the past.

1 minute ago, soulman said:

Unless he can add more picks in rounds 3 and 4 Pace is gonna have some tough decisions to make.  Considering we could use help at OG, SS, WR, CB and an OT prospect to develop which position does he prioritize?

If I was asked to take a guess I'd say OG, SS, and WR are at the top of his list but not necessarily in that order.  I think he would prefer to draft the BPA guy available at each pick in round two and quite possibly look to make some trades to get back into late round 3 or early round 4.  But again that's all just an educated guess based on how he's tended to work in the past.

If they want to role with Foles they need up upgrade the line. He isn’t going to avoid anything.

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If they want to role with Foles they need up upgrade the line. He isn’t going to avoid anything.

Better play (or players) is needed by the OL no matter what but Foles will also be far more decisive with the ball on quick decisions than Mitch was in 2019. How many times did the rush get home against us because he was indecisive? That should happen far less with Foles. Also, teams will respect his ability to make more actual throws than 2019 Mitch too and make our opponents actually have to defend the whole field which will make things far easier on the OL too. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I wouldn't be opposed to Pace taking the playmaker first if he felt that was his best move.

One or more of the OL he likes could easily be there at #50 or later and even if he passes on OL entirely in round two in favor of a SS  there are still UFAs out there who could be signed to a one year deal as we did with Ifedi and we put another patch on RG for another year.  Or he could do the same and add a vet SS like Tony Jefferson just to name a name.

We're far enough into FA that some of the guys who are left will be open to taking a one year deal like HHC-D did hoping to rebuild their resumes off of having a better year playing in Chicago.  Now that we have better data on the Foles contract and know there's more cap available than known previously adding more vet help at a position of need is no longer out of the question.

No matter who we add I believe we all are gonna have to admit that the majority of any improvement we're gonna see from the OL is gonna have to come from within based on scheme alterations and Castillo's coaching.  Foles doesn't have Mitch's mobility but he's not a complete statute back there either.  He has pocket awareness and knows where to go with the ball in order to avoid sacks.

22 minutes ago, soulman said:

No matter who we add I believe we all are gonna have to admit that the majority of any improvement we're gonna see from the OL is gonna have to come from within based on scheme alterations and Castillo's coaching.  Foles doesn't have Mitch's mobility but he's not a complete statute back there either.  He has pocket awareness and knows where to go with the ball in order to avoid sacks.

To me this was the biggest issue with our pass pro last year - if Mitch’s first read wasn’t there then far too often there was an “Oh sh*t” moment where he’d freeze or hesitate or panic scramble, all of which put the OL in a bad spot. His complete inability to step up in the pocket AT ALL also put our OL in a bad spot. Those aren’t issues we should expect with Foles nearly as often either.

IMO, competent decision making and poise at QB will fix many of our OL issues from 2019. Pace seems to be counting heavily on just that. 

• Like 2

Here's my take on the roster - i copied from a spreadsheet so hopefully it comes through ok....

1            2                 3                4
QB    Foles    Trubisky        
RB    Montgomery    Cohen  _________      Nall
FB    Holtz            
TE U    Graham    Burton    Horsted    
TE Y    Harris    Holtz        
WR    Robinson    Wims        
WR   _________      Patterson        
WR S    Miller    Ridley        
LT    Leno    ________     
LG    Daniels    Ifedi        
C    Whitehair    Daniels        
RG    _______    Ifedi    Coward    
RT    Massie    Ifedi    Bars    

DE    Hicks    Urban        
NT    Goldman    Anderson        
DE    RRH    Nichols        
OLB    Mack    Mingo   _______   Irving
OLB    Quinn            
ILB    Smith    _________    Iggy    
ILB    Trevathan    ________    Woods    
CB    Fuller    Tolliver/Burns
CB    ________/Tolliver/Burns        
SCB    Skrine    Shelly        
FS    Jackson    Bush        Lucas
SS     _________   Bush        Houston-Carson

K    Pineiro            
P    Odonnell            
LS    Scales            

So the needs are

#1 RG, WR (speed), SS, CB

#2 RB, LT, ILB, OLB

On 4/1/2020 at 10:55 PM, soulman said:

The entire OL seemed to lack any leadership and cohesion last year which is what cost HH his job.  Let's see what Castillo can do with the same bunch.  Can't get any worse.

Never challenge Worse!

• Like 1