Seahawks sign DE Benson Mayowa

SaveOurSonics

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/01/seahawks-agree-to-terms-with-benson-mayowa/

Mayowa, 28, spent last season with the Raiders. He played 15 games with no starts and made 15 tackles, a career-high seven sacks and three forced fumbles.

He saw action on 302 defensive snaps as a backup.

Mayowa is returning to where he got his start. The Seahawks originally signed him in 2013, and he played two games that season.

The NFL Network reported Mayowa agreed to a one-year deal that includes $3 million fully guaranteed and could go over $4 million with incentives.

I'll update OP as needed. 

Edited by SaveOurSonics

I'm personally excited about this. Not a big splash signing by any means but one of the rotational pass rushing pieces I circled on my short list for us to sniff around this offseason. I was a big Benson fan his first go-round in Seattle. 

Bruce Irvin + Benson Mayowa + Clowney/Griffen/Ngakoue would be a huge improvement on last season. 

• Like 2

Strange offseason for them. I was expecting 1 or 2 aggressive moves toward star players. Instead it's a bunch of hesitant nibbling.

Not a great idea, IMO. The key categories like point differential and Yards Per Pass Attempt Differential suggested it was already a fragile team that severely overachieved in the won/loss record in 2019

• Like 1

When it was after the week 8 games and he had 7 sacks already he prolly thought by he was gonna get a big, long term deal.

then he played 25%(give or take) of the defensive snaps the rest of the year.

Only had 2 tackles and 3 QB hits the rest of the year.

i like him, kinda wish he did better for himself.

3 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I'm personally excited about this. Not a big splash signing by any means but one of the rotational pass rushing pieces I circled on my short list for us to sniff around this offseason. I was a big Benson fan his first go-round in Seattle. 

Bruce Irvin + Benson Mayowa + Clowney/Griffen/Ngakoue would be a huge improvement on last season. 

That’s only an upgrade if you land Ngakoue or retain Clowney.  As of now you’ve actually gotten worse.  

If you expect Irvin to give you 8.5 and Mayowa 7 sacks again your about to be very disappointed.

but if you can resign Clowney or trade for Ngakoue then it’s a modest upgrade.

13 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I guess that means no Everson Griffen.

Wouldn't say a $3m spend on Benson precludes us from locking up one more premiere pass rusher. 

10 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

That’s only an upgrade if you land Ngakoue or retain Clowney.  As of now you’ve actually gotten worse.  

If you expect Irvin to give you 8.5 and Mayowa 7 sacks again your about to be very disappointed.

but if you can resign Clowney or trade for Ngakoue then it’s a modest upgrade.

I would add Everson Griffen to that list, who was a better pass rusher than Clowney last season. You're right, nothing is certain yet, but with $15m still left to spend and us being rumored to be heavily involved in all three of those players I listed, it would be a major letdown not to add one more premiere rusher to the arsenal. I'll be here to admit if I'm proven wrong, but if we do I'd characterize that as a very noticeable upgrade over the garbage we were putting on the field last season in Ziggy Ansah and Branden Jackson. If Irvin and Mayowa even give us half the production they put up last season, Irvin would've been the team sack leader and Mayowa would've been second on the team.

13 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Strange offseason for them. I was expecting 1 or 2 aggressive moves toward star players. Instead it's a bunch of hesitant nibbling.

Not a great idea, IMO. The key categories like point differential and Yards Per Pass Attempt Differential suggested it was already a fragile team that severely overachieved in the won/loss record in 2019

Not how John Schneider and this FO spends money. We prioritize the compensatory game and try to maximize our budget on low-cost flyers. Big money is typically only offered to in-house guys. So far we've upgraded the TE room, the OL room, the WR room (marginally), and per my explanation above should continue upgrading on the DL room as well. 

• Like 1

He is one of the better situational pass rushers in the NFL. If you cut up all his sacks, you would probably think he was a mega-star. I always figured he would put up big-time sack numbers if he's ever given a true opportunity to start like Shaq Barrett.

Also, this is his second stint on Seattle and his second stint as a Raider.

The Irvin-Mayowa signings tell me Seattle really wanted to improve their LEO depth. PCJS kinda got caught with their pants down, and did not have a single LEO on the roster last year. Clowney, Jefferson, Ansah, Green all fit the 5 tech more. There was no twitchy edge rusher (Clark, Avril, Clemons) and it didn't help Seattle was rolling with Al Woods and Poona Ford (Two players known for the run defense) at DT for the first half of the year. 

Knowing Jon, Seattle could end up with  at least 6 picks in the top 100. Seattle could still add two or three players to that unit in the draft. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, animaltested said:

The Irvin-Mayowa signings tell me Seattle really wanted to improve their LEO depth. PCJS kinda got caught with their pants down, and did not have a single LEO on the roster last year. Clowney, Jefferson, Ansah, Green all fit the 5 tech more. There was no twitchy edge rusher (Clark, Avril, Clemons) and it didn't help Seattle was rolling with Al Woods and Poona Ford (Two players known for the run defense) at DT for the first half of the year. 

Knowing Jon, Seattle could end up with  at least 6 picks in the top 100. Seattle could still add two or three players to that unit in the draft. 

Spot on. And we were lucky to have Clowney last year. 

My expectation is that we acquire a leader in that room (Clowney/Griffen/Ngakoue) and then add another cheap rotational piece or two on the inside, such as Michael Bennett. 

19 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Most of the consistently good-to-great franchises are usually pretty frugal in FA. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Spot on. And we were lucky to have Clowney last year. 

My expectation is that we acquire a leader in that room (Clowney/Griffen/Ngakoue) and then add another cheap rotational piece or two on the inside, such as Michael Bennett. 

Seattle only has 14 mil in cap space and the cost of the draft will be about half of that. Unless they dump some salary I do not think they can pay Yan especially when its going to involve a 1st rd pick to trade for. Clowney is still thinking he is worth the 20 mil even if he settles for 17-18 mil that means they have to clear at least 7 mil to sign him to a 1 year deal. Griffin is likely the best option as he will likely get 8-12 mil a year. Im no Seattle Fan so I do not know who is a cut candidate if one is signed but if you think of any please share as I am curious to know who would be on the outs?

11 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Seattle only has 14 mil in cap space and the cost of the draft will be about half of that. Unless they dump some salary I do not think they can pay Yan especially when its going to involve a 1st rd pick to trade for. Clowney is still thinking he is worth the 20 mil even if he settles for 17-18 mil that means they have to clear at least 7 mil to sign him to a 1 year deal. Griffin is likely the best option as he will likely get 8-12 mil a year. Im no Seattle Fan so I do not know who is a cut candidate if one is signed but if you think of any please share as I am curious to know who would be on the outs?

There's a variety of players we can get out from under, but the most notable is C Justin Britt who would clear about $7m if I'm not mistaken.