Cowboys sign former 49ers DE/LB Aldon Smith

matt79511

13 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I honestly think we are all overthinking the 4-3/3-4 thing. We're going to play a ton of nickel, which would lead to 4 down linemen and 2 linebackers, but the versatility up front allows us to be multiple, which is what Nolan wants.

versatility and multiple. those words just made me feel better haha 

8 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Yeah, from what I read his contract is conditional on him being reinstated. Glazer (who has been working with him for almost a year) seems to think thats going to happen. 

Obviously, this is a low risk - medium reward contract. I can't say "high reward" because he's been out of football for so long. As long as Jerry doesn't stupidly view this as adequately addressing the DE position and thus ignore it in the draft (should Chaisson or an equivalent guy fall to us), it'll be what it'll be. I'm not excited about the signing nor do I hate it. I'm completely indifferent to it.

20 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Where's his head, though?

supposedly he has turned his life around significantly.

I might be optimistic but I think his case is a bit different and I can believe a bit more that he has turned his life around because he has been out of football for 4 years.

It's not the typical, "I changed my ways after 6 months, some team please sign me" situation.

I dont hate the signing. Him being out of football for 4 years will hinder him. Also curious how he will adapt to playing after 4 years and playing at a much higher weight.

His best years came with Tomsula as the dline coach with SF.

37 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

I might be optimistic but I think his case is a bit different and I can believe a bit more that he has turned his life around because he has been out of football for 4 years.

It's not the typical, "I changed my ways after 6 months, some team please sign me" situation.

I dont hate the signing. Him being out of football for 4 years will hinder him. Also curious how he will adapt to playing after 4 years and playing at a much higher weight.

Out of all the players we have signed that have "turned their life around" that we have signed.. I can only think of McClain that played really well .. but that was short lived. 

42 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

The long layoff is a huge concern. Regardless of the physical shape he's in, it's so hard getting into game shape season after season, so I can only imagine how hard it is to do that after not being on the field for 4 1/2 years.

With zero risk mid reward I don’t hate this. Some one also mention that this really does Zero to really address our DE needs it’s a cherry on top should it work out but it solves nothing.   I guess it is a long shot throw also should we not find a solution in FA or draft 

3 hours ago, djdunkenstein said:

Out of all the players we have signed that have "turned their life around" that we have signed.. I can only think of McClain that played really well .. but that was short lived. 

You could count Dez. He’s a Top 10 pick that year easily if not for off-field concerns