Jump to content
BayRaider

Cowboys sign Aldon Smith

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

That changes nothing that i said.

Arrests are low but suspensions are higher than any other team by a wide margin.

Meme still stands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Glen said:

Arrests are low but suspensions are higher than any other team by a wide margin.

Meme still stands.

Many of those players that got suspended were cut (McClain, PacMan for example); or were for something the NFL doesnt even suspend for any more - weed (irving, gregory for example).

As I said, Cowboys maintain one of the cleaner franchises in the NFL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Many of those players that got suspended were cut (McClain, PacMan for example); or were for something the NFL doesnt even suspend for any more - weed (irving, gregory for example).

As I said, Cowboys maintain one of the cleaner franchises in the NFL. 

"Players were suspended for something that used to be illegal but is no longer illegal so we are clean"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Rooting for him so hard. Was in rehab on multiple occasions and could never get over his demons. But he's been sober for nine months which is a huge accomplishment and I hope he can continue that. Regardless if he ends up being an impact player or not, he is giving himself one last shot to make it and make some money. With the way pass rushers are getting paid, this man legitimately left over $100 million on the table. Will never get that back but if he can make the roster and contribute, that is all you can ask for.

I thought the original article said four years.  If it's only nine months, going back into the NFL lifestyle, and he's almost sure to relapse, whether that is succumbing to the party lifestyle, or dealing with the constant pain and aches and injuries.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

So basically nothing. It is a very low risk, high reward signing.

Edited by ACO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I thought the original article said four years.  If it's only nine months, going back into the NFL lifestyle, and he's almost sure to relapse, whether that is succumbing to the party lifestyle, or dealing with the constant pain and aches and injuries.  

He's been out of the league for four years, not sober for that long. 

We shall see, hopefully he keeps clean. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Glen said:

"Players were suspended for something that used to be illegal but is no longer illegal so we are clean"

Way to take one piece of the sentence and mock it as if it was the entire point. Again, how clean your franchise is, is normally determined by arrest. And the Cowboys are a bottom tier arrest team. For suspensions, we often cut the guy unless its something not egregious (weed). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Way to take one piece of the sentence and mock it as if it was the entire point. Again, how clean your franchise is, is normally determined by arrest. And the Cowboys are a bottom tier arrest team. For suspensions, we often cut the guy unless its something not egregious (weed). 

You are nitpicking and biased. I win, bye bye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Many of those players that got suspended were cut (McClain, PacMan for example); or were for something the NFL doesnt even suspend for any more - weed (irving, gregory for example).

As I said, Cowboys maintain one of the cleaner franchises in the NFL. 

Dude, McClain's issues were well-established prior to going to the Cowboys. It's not just what the player does once they're signed, it's also the Cowboy's willingness to give shots to guys with established character red flags.

Rolando McClain, Damontre Moore, Randy Gregory, Ezekiel Elliott, Dez Bryant, Greg Hardy, David Irving, Aldon Smith, probably more....

All of these guys have either gotten into trouble to a degree that prevents them from playing games, and/or consistently seem to engage in behavior that exists in the gray area of almost crossing to line, or slightly crossing it. Some are outright monsters (looking at you, Hardy).

And while I'm sure it's been happening to varying degrees for...ever(?), it seems to have picked up over the past half-decade or so (those guys above).

The last time I remember a team establishing this kind of track record was the Bengals in the mid-00s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I wouldn't call this a high reward signing lol. Dude hasn't taken a snap in 4 years.

Doesn’t take away from the fact that he was an incredible player 4 years ago. It’s very obviously low risk, but if he can even be a shell of his former self and get 7ish sacks, that’s a massive reward.

Always rooted against him for the 9ers and while I’m not fond of the Cowboys either, I’ll be rooting for him here. It’d be a great comeback story 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll never forget the time when I was walking out of work in North Beach in SF (where all the strip clubs and sex shops are) and saw Aldon basically fall out of his crookedly parked Range Rover and stumble into a sex shop.

Hope the guy is over his demons and can come back and contribute on and off the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Glen said:

You are nitpicking and biased. I win, bye bye.

You just lost a vote, buddy boy.

33 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Dude, McClain's issues were well-established prior to going to the Cowboys. It's not just what the player does once they're signed, it's also the Cowboy's willingness to give shots to guys with established character red flags.

Rolando McClain, Damontre Moore, Randy Gregory, Ezekiel Elliott, Dez Bryant, Greg Hardy, David Irving, Aldon Smith, probably more....

All of these guys have either gotten into trouble to a degree that prevents them from playing games, and/or consistently seem to engage in behavior that exists in the gray area of almost crossing to line, or slightly crossing it. Some are outright monsters (looking at you, Hardy).

And while I'm sure it's been happening to varying degrees for...ever(?), it seems to have picked up over the past half-decade or so (those guys above).

The last time I remember a team establishing this kind of track record was the Bengals in the mid-00s.

Yes, the Cowboys believe they can help people change and better themselves. They have an entire section of the front office dedicated to rehabilitation and personal growth.

Rolando McClain - Was cut at the first sign of trouble

 Damontre Moore - Played 3 games for us before getting cut. Was on the no-no list for weed.

 Randy Gregory - Is not a "trouble" player at all. He has severe bi-polar and self medicates with weed. By all accounts he is a upstanding dude outside of that.

 Ezekiel Elliott - His suspension is 100% horsesheet, so I am not even going to address it.

 Dez Bryant - His "redflag" before getting drafted was having dinner with an NFL player. Again, as I said, no egregious. 

Greg Hardy - A monster.

 David Irving - A pothead who was cut

Aldon Smith - Reclamation project, tbd if he has turned it around

 

Again, most all of these guys have had little to no legal trouble with the Cowboys. Which supports their stance of rehabbing players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×