Cowboys sign Aldon Smith

BayRaider

51 minutes ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

So Cowboys of them 

3 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Cowboys gonna cowboy.

Cowboys are one of the cleanest teams in the league for a while now. Bottom tier in terms of arrest. This meme is like 25 years outdated. 

Anybody can redeem themselves with enough time, effort, and work to make themselves better. Smith says he's sober, he has a sponsor, the team has vetted him, there's no reason to not believe he's made a genuine attempt to change and should get the opportunity to work at what he's best at.

• Like 3

I hope he's clean and sober.  Addiction sucks.  He will be 31, and have a fresh body away from football.  It's a good risk to see if they can get a situation pass-rusher out of him for the year.  It's a big risk going back to playing football for staying clean and sober though.  It's not a lifestyle that promotes it. 

• Like 1

Low risk, incredibly high upside. At his best, he was on par with Von Miller and JJ Watt (back when those two were the best pass rushers in football, with no real name to mention at three). 

I highly doubt Smith is that guy anymore, but if he could be a situational rusher that can get 4-5 sacks, that's big.

• Like 2

Rooting for him so hard. Was in rehab on multiple occasions and could never get over his demons. But he's been sober for nine months which is a huge accomplishment and I hope he can continue that. Regardless if he ends up being an impact player or not, he is giving himself one last shot to make it and make some money. With the way pass rushers are getting paid, this man legitimately left over $100 million on the table. Will never get that back but if he can make the roster and contribute, that is all you can ask for.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I mean, the Greg Hardy fiasco was 5 years ago...

Well he wasnt good enough to justify the signing. I would assume if he kept coming through with 10 sack seasons Jerry would happily take the bad rep regardless of the crime. That's just how it goes with teams and I would think very few teams would know that better then the Ravens. 

Just sticking that one in there for rivalry sake. 

Edited by Calvert28

Some people here really like to spread negativity. Aldon has been out of the league 4 years, from all reports working on himself and getting sober. This is a good story and I hope it works out. He clearly had some mental issues that led to substance abuse, getting on medication for that can make a world of difference. In fact I would argue that substance abuse precipitating from mental issues  can be easier to overcome than than pure substance abuse.

I wish him the best and find it sad in such a rough time people find pleasure in laughing at someone who worked hard to change. 

• Like 1