Lawrence, Fields, and the 2021 draft if no 2020 season?

Epyon

Gonna be a bit of scattered thread covering a number of things that all kind of intersect, curious to see what other people's opinions are on a number of questions and basically get some discussion going because I'm bored out of my mind sitting around my apartment all day.

So what all started this was the mock draft threads, and I got to thinking about the players I'd like from this class... and what potential trades I'd be exploring with next year's draft capital, if so required.  But knowing what to do this year, involves at least some semblance of a plan for next year as well.  My opening assumption here, is that neither Trubisky nor Foles are "the guy"

1. Do we then have to hold on to as many 2021 draft assets as possible, in order to facilitate a trade for Lawrence or Fields?

2. Are we even capable of trading up for them? Lawrence is almost assuredly going #1.... It's both incredibly unlikely any team terrible enough for #1 overall has a QB of the future and would make a deal,  and also that we're going to be in a poor enough draft position to have the resources to make that jump regardless... I think Foles providing even competent QB play reading the field, being able to actually threaten the deep ball, and Quinn pass rushing opposite Mack could be sufficient to catapult the team to ~WC playoff levels, particularly given the expanded playoffs this year. I'd say at worst we're going to be picking ~20th and that is a hell of a long way from #1.

3. My next thought was, what happens to the 2021 draft order, if there isn't a 2020 nfl season at all? This is a VERY real possibility at this point, and I'm curious as to how they'd rig the drafts.... I'd almost think some kind of draft lottery is the only fair way to do it myself.... and in the case of a lottery, we'd have 1/32 shot at getting Lawrence outright, and a solid chance of at least having a better draft position to try and move up if not...... So if there is no season, how do you see the league handling the 2021 draft?

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

Gonna be a bit of scattered thread covering a number of things that all kind of intersect, curious to see what other people's opinions are on a number of questions and basically get some discussion going because I'm bored out of my mind sitting around my apartment all day.

So what all started this was the mock draft threads, and I got to thinking about the players I'd like from this class... and what potential trades I'd be exploring with next year's draft capital, if so required.  But knowing what to do this year, involves at least some semblance of a plan for next year as well.  My opening assumption here, is that neither Trubisky nor Foles are "the guy"

1. Do we then have to hold on to as many 2021 draft assets as possible, in order to facilitate a trade for Lawrence or Fields?

2. Are we even capable of trading up for them? Lawrence is almost assuredly going #1.... It's both incredibly unlikely any team terrible enough for #1 overall has a QB of the future and would make a deal,  and also that we're going to be in a poor enough draft position to have the resources to make that jump regardless... I think Foles providing even competent QB play reading the field, being able to actually threaten the deep ball, and Quinn pass rushing opposite Mack could be sufficient to catapult the team to ~WC playoff levels, particularly given the expanded playoffs this year. I'd say at worst we're going to be picking ~20th and that is a hell of a long way from #1.

3. My next thought was, what happens to the 2021 draft order, if there isn't a 2020 nfl season at all? This is a VERY real possibility at this point, and I'm curious as to how they'd rig the drafts.... I'd almost think some kind of draft lottery is the only fair way to do it myself.... and in the case of a lottery, we'd have 1/32 shot at getting Lawrence outright, and a solid chance of at least having a better draft position to try and move up if not...... So if there is no season, how do you see the league handling the 2021 draft?

1 and 2.   I think Lawrence is a pipe dream for reasons you state.  Also, Bengals could command a kings ransom for Burrows, but are still going to take him.   Worst team in league is not trading Lawrence and even if they were we don’t have the ammo to get him without making team so ridiculously bad the QB won’t matter.

3.  If virus situation response is such that we cancel all Fall activities, then we will be entering a situation where football will be least of our concerns and thoughts.     

I haven't even decided what I want for lunch yet let alone who to draft in 2020 and now we're looking at 2021?  When you reach my age it's one day at a time if that so I'm gonna have to pass on commenting.  Now if you'll excuse me I have an entire sky full of clouds to yell at. :D

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, soulman said:

I haven't even decided what I want for lunch yet let alone who to draft in 2020 and now we're looking at 2021?  When you reach my age it's one day at a time if that so I'm gonna have to pass on commenting.  Now if you'll excuse me I have an entire sky full of clouds to yell at. :D

Ya but older you get faster time passes or faster you experience time.  No one knows why this is although many have theories.

So 2021 is almost here for you old man.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Ya but older you get faster time passes or faster you experience time.  No one knows why this is although many have theories.

So 2021 is almost here for you old man.  

Don't remind me.  Today I'm going to the nearest marina to buy an anchor to weigh down time with.  :(

Never thought of that, but that’s an interesting thought.  I would imagine they would do some sort of lottery, but i can’t imagine all teams would have the same shot of getting #1.  Could you imagine if the chiefs or ravens got the top pick and the dolphins or lions got #32?  They would probably have to have two or three tiers based off of this years draft order, or something kind of like the nba draft.

it would also be really tough because if there’s no NFL season then there’s no ncaa season.  How many times have we seen some projected to be the unquestioned, without-a-doubt next years #1 pick falter their senior season and plummet down draft boards?  This would present a unique challenge to scouting departments.

• Like 1

If the 2020 season heads toward cancellation or even shortening:

1. Yes, in fact I'd go so far as to recommend selling almost all of the 2020 draft for future picks.

2. At present no but I think the Bears should consider trading veteran players for picks. I don't see the current team as a Super Bowl contender and 2021 would likely be a last-gasp shot as the roster is currently constructed. Trading some veterans now may facilitate a trade for Lawrence/Fields to kick-start a roster overhaul.

3. My guess is it would be a lottery with odds of each pick weighted by how well a team did in 2019. Something like the worst team gets 32 ping pong balls, the best team gets 1 ping pong ball is probably fairest.

24 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

1. Yes, in fact I'd go so far as to recommend selling almost all of the 2020 draft for future picks.

2. At present no but I think the Bears should consider trading veteran players for picks. I don't see the current team as a Super Bowl contender and 2021 would likely be a last-gasp shot as the roster is currently constructed. Trading some veterans now may facilitate a trade for Lawrence/Fields to kick-start a roster overhaul.

3. My guess is it would be a lottery with odds of each pick weighted by how well a team did in 2019. Something like the worst team gets 32 ping pong balls, the best team gets 1 ping pong ball is probably fairest.

Can't say I agree with #1. I'd use 43 and 50, or use 50 to get another 2 + a 3. After that though, sure. 5th-7th rounders are typically wastes of picks.

Bolded point: I suppose they could deal Fuller. Maybe Goldman? Hicks, but what do you get back for someone his age coming off of an injury? a 4th rounder? That won't play a huge part in going up for Fields or Purdy (assuming Lawrence goes #1 to JAX). Who else could the Bears honestly trade to get draft ammo back? Mack is literally impossible to trade, Trubisky would net you nothing, no one will take Leno or Massie, and Burton is a pu**y. Whitehair is owed a lot of money. Trading Robinson would be foolish. 

I agree with #3. This lottery would get so many viewers it'd be ridiculous. xD

5 hours ago, Epyon said:

Let's say the Bears finish with the 18th pick next year, as they did this year. I'd be willing to trade that pick, the 2nd rounder, a 4th rounder, and the 2022 1st rounder for Lawrence or Fields. Of course this is assuming Foles stinks and Trubisky continues to stink.

Edited by beardown3231

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

Despite there being a reasonably good chance of that the NFL will not admit to that now. 

They just signed a new CBA assuring another uninterrupted 10 years of league play and they are fast at work negotiating new broadcast contracts so no way are they gonna admit the 2020 season may be canceled or even shortened and cost themselves money.

That's also why Goddell is insisting the draft go on as business as usual despite the hardships it's creating for GMs, draftees, and agents.

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think you need one bigger than the Earth or with more mass for it to work.

Biggest I could find.  It's from the Iowa.  Placement is the key.  Let those hooks dig in and time will have a devil of a time straining against that.  If it could keep a WWII Battleship in place I'll take my chances with time.

• Like 1