2017 Bengals Breakout Candidates

theJ

Who are some of your breakout candidates for 2017?  Could be guys who have good years in the past and regressed (ok i'm talking about Hill), or guys who haven't had a chance to prove themselves yet.

List your favorite 2-3 breakout candidates, and then list your dark horse breakout.

Candidate #1: Marcus Hardison

Explanation: Injuries have derailed the start of his career.  I'm hoping he'll finally be healthy this year and show what he can do.  Every time he touches the field in practice people rave about him.  Time to show it in a game.

Candidate #2: Jake Fisher

Explanation: He showed some promise last year in partial time, and i think by the end of the year he'll be a solid RT.  The team will take some lumps with him in there, but he's got the makings of a solid lineman.

Dark Horse: Cody Core

Explanation - I think Cody showed some ability and potential last year at the end of the year.  He's probably not going to be given much of a chance with the other WR's around him, but if he can perform in camp and preseason games, he has a shot to get some PT this year and impress some people.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Who are some of your breakout candidates for 2017?  Could be guys who have good years in the past and regressed (ok i'm talking about Hill), or guys who haven't had a chance to prove themselves yet.

List your favorite 2-3 breakout candidates, and then list your dark horse breakout.

1. Darqueze Dennard CB

Has had a hard time staying healthy and has been stuck behind many of the other older guys. I think he has the potential to take playing time away from Pacman and really shine when given the opportunity. This is his last year IMO to make an impression. 

2. CJ Uzomah TE

Eifert had had trouble staying healthy, and Uzomah has been on this team long enough to have finally learned the ins and outs of the position. He has a similar skill set to Eifert and a higher ceiling than Kroft IMO. If he can put it all together he might be our TE of the future. 

Darkhorse- Jeremy Hill RB

Contract year, threat of replacement in Mixon now on the team. It's now or never to regain his rookie year form. 

47 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

2. CJ Uzomah TE

Eifert had had trouble staying healthy, and Uzomah has been on this team long enough to have finally learned the ins and outs of the position. He has a similar skill set to Eifert and a higher ceiling than Kroft IMO. If he can put it all together he might be our TE of the future.

I thought about listing him too. I agree with your assessment. I'm hoping he breaks out even if eifert stays healthy. 2 TE sets are hard to defend. 

3 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

I'm going with WJIII and Ogbuehi.  

Come at me...

Are you expecting it, or hoping it?  Because i'm pretty sure if i had to put money on Oggy breaking out, i'd want really good odds.

On 7/19/2017 at 11:19 AM, johndeere1707 said:

Darkhorse- Jeremy Hill RB

Contract year, threat of replacement in Mixon now on the team. It's now or never to regain his rookie year form.

He's definitely a dark horse. I give him about a 1% chance of breaking out. We've seen the best of Jeremy hill, and we've seen what he is now. He's not changing imo. He lost whatever magic he had, and the regression of the offensive line didn't help him. 

2 hours ago, theJ said:

He's definitely a dark horse. I give him about a 1% chance of breaking out. We've seen the best of Jeremy hill, and we've seen what he is now. He's not changing imo. He lost whatever magic he had, and the regression of the offensive line didn't help him. 

I think half of the problems are in his head. He thinks too much instead of just go out and play. 

2 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

I think half of the problems are in his head. He thinks too much instead of just go out and play. 

For sure it's in his head.  I'm not sure how or if that's fixable at this point.  He's totally broken.  Has the Rudi Johnson/Brandon Jacobs complex without being paid first.

55 minutes ago, MrCincinnati said:

For some reason I think Bodine could end up being a surprise this year since he's entering a contract year.

That would be a surprise.  Though to his credit, i had to stop doing the Bodine's blunders last year because he stopped giving me material.  He's not all bad.  Just when he's bad, he's really really really bad.

3 hours ago, theJ said:

That would be a surprise.  Though to his credit, i had to stop doing the Bodine's blunders last year because he stopped giving me material.  He's not all bad.  Just when he's bad, he's really really really bad.

Compared to all the other guys on the OL right now, he's there's 2nd best player now which just tells how bad things could go.

Breakout #1

Andrew Billings.  I think he will be a force this season, especially with teams still forced to focus on Atkins and Dunlap first.  Plus, he won't be asked to play 95% of the snaps, as he did at Baylor.

Breakout #2

Tyler Boyd  With all the attention received by Eifert, Green, and (hopefully) Mixon, with a few splash plays by Ross sprinkled in, I think Boyd absolutely abuses the LBs trying to cover him.  It would be nice to see our offense do that to the opposition instead of them to us.

Dark horse

Joe Mixon.  Yes, this isn't a dark horse, but I think he will bust out in a big way early on, to the point of putting up stats almost those of Elliot did last year.  Granted, we don't have the line the Cowboys do (duh), but with the plethora of riches at the skill positions, there's no way opposing teams can stack the box.  Which leads to explosive runs by Mixon all year.

On 7/24/2017 at 7:37 PM, INbengalfan said:

Tyler Boyd  With all the attention received by Eifert, Green, and (hopefully) Mixon, with a few splash plays by Ross sprinkled in, I think Boyd absolutely abuses the LBs trying to cover him.  It would be nice to see our offense do that to the opposition instead of them to us.

I think maybe you should switch him and Mixon.  Boyd is a huge dark horse that no one is really thinking about, but will probably be a vital part of the offense this year.  He'll get single coverage all year, and he did well at the end of 2016 abusing it.  600 yards last year.  I think he will probably be in the 800-1000 yard range this year.

Archived