Michael Pittman vs Chase Claypool

dcat

I would easily take Pittman over Claypool at receiver. However, if I'm thinking about a guy to put inside on those Rams-style bunch formations, Claypool might be a better fit as a blocker/get the ball in his hands on schemed plays and mismatches guy. Claypool reminds me of Darren Waller.

• Like 1

I think Claypool has pretty special upside for someone that may be available in R3. Something like 2016 Pryor but replicating that type of season a few times not just hitting it one. 

Pittman is more polished, but I think he is going to really struggle to seperate and his movement isnt as fluid as Claypool. He could win on jump balls as a chain moving possession outside guy, but I dont think he has the umph' to really make it downfield in time to be a deep threat jumpball guy. 

Claypool all day. His tape is actually good and gets separation. I feel almost all of Pittmans catches are contested catches. Plus Claypools 4.42 speed and his size? You have to gamble on that. 

I expect Claypool to be a Mid-Late 2nd Round pick. 

I expect Pittman to be a Early-Mid 3rd Round Pick. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 3

Pittman is a great route runner and routinely finds himself open. Not sure why people think he's always blanketed. He's a little overrated as a jump ball dude and underrated as all hell as a complete WR.

And if you watch any highlight tape of a WR, they're going to be making catches whilst blanketed in coverage. That's why they're highlights.

• Like 1

Posted today by Solak at Draft Network:

"We can consider the polar opposite player: Notre Dame's Chase Claypool, who some want to move from X-receiver to a big slot role or a flex-Y role. Can he do so? Yes, Claypool is a good separation player because he has a quality understanding of leverage, a huge frame and sufficient footwork to get into quick-breaking routes. "

• Like 2

This matchup to me, feels like a classic case of "Michael Pittman" vs "Mystery Box".  I can see what people like in the Claypool mystery box of traits...but Pittman's polish is one of those things that always seems to end up overlooked by many in the draft.  Then years later, people wonder why he didn't go higher.  I think he's got a lot of Allen Robinson to him.  Same things that slipped ARob as a prospect, probably end up slipping Pittman.  Not sure he takes that big step to the NFL and thrives the same way ARob did...but i think they're cut from a similar cloth, and in similarly deep WR drafts...could probably end up going around the same area.

• Like 1

I'm taking Pittman if my team needs a receiver right now and I don't have a bucket of picks. I'm taking Claypool if I have the draft capital which means I can risk (somewhat) for him not to pan out. Pittman can be an X though, he's a good player. I prefer Claypool in a move/big slot role.