Brian Urlacher, First Ballot HoF?

Danger

When will Brian Urlacher get into the Hall of Fame?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. When will Brian Urlacher get into the Hall of Fame?

• First Ballot
    • Later On
    • He Won't

34 minutes ago, SpanosPayYourRent said:

Ummmmm did you forget about gates or is it just me because he has more TD then tony Gonzalez in fewer receptions and fewer games and by fewer games i mean like 4-5 seasons of games.

Eh? I'm not following how Gates / Gonzalez is relevant here.

On September 23, 2017 at 8:38 AM, BlaqOptic said:

Seriously,

How the hell does this question keep coming up? A more accurate question is whether or not Urlacher is actually a Hall of Famer at all but as the last two years have shown there is no logic or reality based in the Hall of Fame at this point. It's all about whether or not you were a media darling and had a nice story. And fortunately for Urlacher he was both. The media absolutely loved him and gave him more press than he deserved which largely came in part from the misconception that he was this elite coverage linebacker for much of his career just because he played Safety in college. It's in large part why he won his Defensive Player of the Year Award when Mike Peterson was unquestionably better that season for a defense that ultimately ranked 6th in points and yards against a tougher slate of offenses.

An additional example of that undue press? How Urlacher "revolutionized" the Tampa 2 Mike Linebacker position. As if there weren't players doing that before him. As if London Fletcher wasn't putting up All-Pro caliber numbers in St. Louis between 99 and 01 on the way to two Super Bowl appearances. And while people will shout "Greatest Show on Turf" those Rams defenses were damn good and led by Fletcher.

Yet another example of that undue press? This idea that he was this elite coverage linebacker. Before 2008 Urlacher was listed as in zone coverage or direct coverage of the opposition's #1, #2, #3 Receivers, and Tight End at a smaller percentage of time as Lance Briggs yet still gave up more receptions and yards. But it must have been because his coverage was so great because he was dropping "30 yards deep" despite no other Tampa 2 Linebacker having these terrible coverage metrics...

Brian Urlacher's career is summed up in two games for me... Week 17 in 2005 when Jerome Bettis just put him flat on his back in what may have been the most embarrassing trucking I've ever seen happen to a defender and Super Bowl XLI which is a perfect representation of his career; a lot of stat sheet stuffing tackles to absolutely no actual effect on the game.

The Tom Brady juke was worse than the Bettis hit. But most of this is still wrong. Urlacher absolutely deserves to be in the hall of fame. 

Notable players that will be eligible in 2018 (Urlacher's first year of eligibility):

WR Randy Moss
LB Ray Lewis
WR Terrell Owens
DB Brian Dawkins
OG Steve Hutchinson
DB Ronde Barber
S John Lynch

Moss & Lewis are locks, I could easily see the committee finally pushing through Owens and Lynch. That leaves one spot.

2 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Notable players that will be eligible in 2018 (Urlacher's first year of eligibility):

WR Randy Moss
LB Ray Lewis
WR Terrell Owens
DB Brian Dawkins
OG Steve Hutchinson
DB Ronde Barber
S John Lynch

Moss & Lewis are locks, I could easily see the committee finally pushing through Owens and Lynch. That leaves one spot.

Don't see how Dawkins gets pushed aside for Lynch. Ronde Barber deserves it over Lynch. Completely underrated CB of his era.

3 minutes ago, Malik said:

Don't see how Dawkins gets pushed aside for Lynch. Ronde Barber deserves it over Lynch. Completely underrated CB of his era.

Just feels like they'll push him through at some point, he's been a finalist 4 times. What is the record?

The committee is weird about the timing they enshrine guys, just look at Owens, it's just a gut feeling.

Archived