Scouting Potential Bears Selections

dll2000

Second Round

Cesar Ruiz C Michigan:

6' 3"
307 lbs
33 1/8”

5.08 40, 28 bench reps, 113" broad jump 

A good football player and athlete.  A guy you can see starting in the league and doing well.  

He has a lot of room for improvement as he leaves a lot of his natural power on table by not better leveraging his hips and big butt into blocks (instead he is mainly using momentum and his weight - this is most guys to be honest) and carrying his arms too wide when engaged (arms/elbows tighter = more power).  But on plus side he already has the broad chest and bubble butt to gain the power he is leaving on the table.  He just needs a little better tech.  

The biggest thing with OL IMO is their feet.  Hardest thing to teach is good feet and bend.  He has good feet and decent bend.  If a player has those two things and enough size he will usually be okay.      

Right now a Hicks or Goldman level DL will get into him and shuck him at his size until he learns better technique and leverage I think.

Worthy prospect of a mid 2nd round pick or later depending on who is on the board.  

Ruiz and Cushenberry are the two guys I could see us looking to take at #43.  At the moment Ruiz seems to be ranked a bit higher and may be gone but that's OK since FWIW Pace seems to like SEC players as well as he does Big Ten guys.  Maybe even more.

26 minutes ago, soulman said:

Ruiz and Cushenberry are the two guys I could see us looking to take at #43.  At the moment Ruiz seems to be ranked a bit higher and may be gone but that's OK since FWIW Pace seems to like SEC players as well as he does Big Ten guys.  Maybe even more.

He has drafted 6 SEC players, 6 Big-12 players and 4 Big-10 players since taking over as Bears GM.

He also has drafted more D2 players than Pac-12.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Ruiz and Josh Jones are me knock over children on the way to the podium players

What's with everyone on here having it in for little kids lately?  

Anyway, the draft is virtual, so are you just going to be knocking over some random *** little kids on the street or something? I thought Canada was supposed to be nice. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

What's with everyone on here having it in for little kids lately?  

Anyway, the draft is virtual, so are you just going to be knocking over some random *** little kids on the street or something? I thought Canada was supposed to be nice. 

It’s a Sienfield reference. George runs over the kids at the party to get out.

Also week 3 of of isolation with my own kids.

• Like 1

2nd Round...........

S Jeremy Chinn, Southern Illinois, (6-foot-3, 221 pounds)

From his NFL.com draft profile via Lance Zierlein:

Safety prospect with compelling size, speed and athletic ability. He has man cover skills. Very willing and able as a tackler, but despite his diverse skill set, his effectiveness can wane when asked to multitask. Chinn is at his best when he's actively engaged and not sitting in space dissecting what comes next. His ball skills and athleticism are strengths that help define his value and teams will need to find ways to put him in position to utilize both without exposing his inconsistent field awareness. He might find a future role as a big nickel or a cover linebacker who can drag tight ends around the field in sub-packages.

Film

Strengths

• Aggressiveness really shows up on tape. One of the biggest issues with college safeties is that they're too aggressive, which is sometimes considered to be a bad thing. However, with Chinn, he's aggressive and in a good way, always getting after the ball carrier.
  • In 35 starts over a four-year period, Chinn had 13 interceptions and 31 passes defended. He's shown that he's got a nose for the football and this should translate over really well into the NFL when he gets a chance to work with defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano.
  • Chinn is really solid in zone coverage. A lot of his turnovers have come because he's always looking at the quarterback. He always seems to know where the football is as well.
  • Really brings the hammer down when it comes to tackling. Chinn is very refined as a tackler and this can be seen when he's getting after running backs. Is a physical safety as well that with time, could develop into a feared defensive back and enforcer at the NFL level.
  • Chinn brings some versatility to the table. When he gets to the NFL, there's a chance that teams like the Bears, who value versatility in their defensive backs will play him in multiple spots on defense.
  • One thing that really sticks out regarding Chinn is his flawless footwork. When watching him on tape, this is perhaps one of his traits that's very quickly noticeable.

Weaknesses

• Needs to become a smarter football player. Chinn, who played at an FCS school still has some work to do in terms of becoming a smarter football player. He's proven to be solid so far but still needs to be more instinctive. This is something that should develop with time at the NFL level.
  • Something that's lacking in Chinn's game is his inability to react quickly to what's happening in front of him. He needs to get better at diagnosed plays that are happening in front of him, especially since offenses are using more speed in the NFL now.
  • If Chinn can improve in man coverage, he should quickly burst onto the scene as a rookie. He struggles in one-on-one situations and will need to improve if he's going to be tasked with covering slot receivers and tight ends.
  • While Chinn has the physicality and athleticism to be a solid starter in the NFL, his late reactions to skill players in college burned him more times than an NFL team would like. If he can learn when to flip his hips, he should be a three-down starter in the NFL. However, until he improves on this, there's a chance that he's a situational player.
  • No guarantee he's ready to be a starter on day one. Since Chinn played his college football at Southern Illinois, he's considered to be a small school prospect compared to other safeties in the 2020 NFL Draft class, some of whom went to schools like California, LSU, and Alabama. He needs time to develop and playing next to someone like Jackson could help speed up the learning curve he'll need to take on.

Conclusion

Chinn is an intriguing prospect that's continuing to grow. Of all the safeties that will be available in the second round, he's got one of the highest ceilings. He's built a name for himself so far due to traits such as aggressiveness, explosiveness, and physicality.

With the Bears having two second-round picks at 43rd and 50th overall, Chinn makes sense as an option at either pick and is the perfect kind of player that general manager Ryan Pace would draft. He's a player with a high ceiling and room to grow and would walk into the ideal situation with the front seven that the Bears have as they continue to add talent to the roster.

My super short synopsis of the interior OLMen as Bears targets

Ruiz, big, athletic, connected to Castillo, perfect fit.

Cushenberry, athletic, experienced, doesnt have the power of Ruiz, but not weak.

Hunt, size, nasty, OT convert, has the run game gas the Bears need.

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

My super short synopsis of the interior OLMen as Bears targets

Ruiz, big, athletic, connected to Castillo, perfect fit.

Cushenberry, athletic, experienced, doesnt have the power of Ruiz, but not weak.

Hunt, size, nasty, OT convert, has the run game gas the Bears need.

At least one of those guys should still be on the board when we pick at #43 and despite the Ifedi acquisition I would think that OG should still be a priority.  This may not be the deepest class for OL who can come in and compete to start but all three of these guys have that potential.

6 hours ago, soulman said:

Conclusion

Chinn is an intriguing prospect that's continuing to grow. Of all the safeties that will be available in the second round, he's got one of the highest ceilings. He's built a name for himself so far due to traits such as aggressiveness, explosiveness, and physicality.

With the Bears having two second-round picks at 43rd and 50th overall, Chinn makes sense as an option at either pick and is the perfect kind of player that general manager Ryan Pace would draft. He's a player with a high ceiling and room to grow and would walk into the ideal situation with the front seven that the Bears have as they continue to add talent to the roster.

I think he's nailed it pretty well here.  Chinn is an intriguing prospect.  He's 1/2 SS and 1/2 ILB and he hits like a ton of bricks.  Having an intimdator like that playing in the secondary is enticing.  Two things bother me though.

1) A SS requires great instincts and football intelligence and both are listed as a weakness so despite his impressive physical traits and basic skills that's something that would need to be developed in him.  It doesn't do a whole lot of good to be a "killer" if you're consistently in the wrong place to make a killing.  Bush came to us with many of those same core issues.

2) Like Shaheen we'd be gambling yet another high pick on a kid from a smaller program.  SIU isn't a Div III school like Shaheen attended but they're an FCS level program so how much of his college dominance was based on the level of competition he played against?  How well did he play against the best competition at that level?  This is not a guy we want to make another mistake on.

• Like 1

FWIW here's a piece discussing what Pace's plan may (or my not) be on draft weekend.  I'll just post the link along with the page showing who've they've met with.

It's interesting that there's only one OL on the list and though Bartch is listed as an OG he played LT in college at a Div III school and could possibly be a LT prospect.  Of course that could mean they're already made up their minds regarding an interior OL and given his small school background #43 or #50 seems kinda high for a kid like Bartch.  Maybe a trade down target?

Other than that they seem to have focused on Safety and Edge prospects.

https://beargoggleson.com/2020/04/02/chicago-bears-draft-rumors-ryan-pace/?utm_campaign=FanSided+Daily&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

Who are the players the Chicago Bears are looking at?

If we follow the names that have leaked out that the Chicago Bears have met or interviewed, we come across these names:

• Bradlee Anae (EDGE)
  • Ben Bartch (OG)
  • Antoine Brooks Jr (S)
  • K’Lavon Chaisson (EDGE)
  • Jake Fromm (QB)
  • Matt Hennessy (C)
  • Brycen Hopkins (TE)
  • Curtis Weaver (EDGE)
  • Gabriel Davis (WR)
  • Yetur Gross-Matos (EDGE)
  • Jonathan Greenard (EDGE)
  • Antoine Winfield Jr (S)
  • Grant Delpit (S)
  • Jeremy Chinn (S)
  • Julian Okwara (EDGE)
  • Kyle Dugger (S)
  • Kristian Fulton (CB)

These are just the list of top-65 nationally ranked players that have been rumored to have met with the Chicago Bears from today back to the Senior Bowl. The positions could be a giveaway, and I try to look at the rankings as well. Are these players within reach?

Then I look at the positions. Who is being compared to who? Last year, the Chicago Bears met with David Montgomery along with a long list of running backs to include Josh Jacobs, Miles Sanders, and Devin Singletary. What we see this year is that most of the offensive line, tight ends, running backs, defensive line, and wide receivers are players the Chicago Bears have seemingly talked with but are not top-50 nationally ranked players.

According to draftscout.com, there are four projected quarterbacks to go in the first round, three running backs, potentially a tight end, five receivers, five tackles, one center, three edge defenders, two to four interior defensive lineman, four off-the-ball linebackers, three to four cornerbacks, and two to three safeties.

With that, we are at 32-34 players that are projected 1st round talents. Which generally is about 26-28 players. Some fell due to injury. And expecting running backs early in the first round is a dangerous game because most NFL teams no longer value running backs that early.

Edited by soulman

20 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Ruiz and Josh Jones are me knock over children on the way to the podium players

@soulman

I still think Whitehair is best suited for guard and is playing center out of necessity because Daniels wet the bed there last year.  

If Bears did draft Ruiz I would move him to center.  But Dan he can’t make line calls he is a rookie!!! 

Whoever wrote it in stone that center has to make line calls I don’t know.  He is best suited to do it since he is in  ‘the center’, but he doesn’t have to.  Either guard can do it or QB can do it.  Heck a FB or TB could do it if they know the rules.  

Speaking of Daniels his college tape was better than Ruiz’.  Make of that what you will.  I did think Daniels was on his way to being a future pro bowler after his rookie year and he was pretty bad in soph campaign. So who is real Daniels?   I will say he doesn’t have Ruiz butt so his anchor potential ability is not as high.  

• Like 2