Scouting Potential Bears Selections

dll2000

48 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

@soulman

I still think Whitehair is best suited for guard and is playing center out of necessity because Daniels wet the bed there last year.  

If Bears did draft Ruiz I would move him to center.  But Dan he can’t make line calls he is a rookie!!! 

Whoever wrote it in stone that center has to make line calls I don’t know.  He is best suited to do it since he is in  ‘the center’, but he doesn’t have to.  Either guard can do it or QB can do it.  Heck a FB or TB could do it if they know the rules.  

Speaking of Daniels his college tape was better than Ruiz’.  Make of that what you will.  I did think Daniels was on his way to being a future pro bowler after his rookie year and he was pretty bad in soph campaign. So who is real Daniels?   I will say he doesn’t have Ruiz butt so his anchor potential ability is not as high.  

I think the idea of drafting either Ruiz or Cushenberry who I might prefer is we're taking another college OC and doubling down on the chance that we can move Whitehair from OC to OG where he could still make the line calls if that became necessary.  Cushenberry has arms like a gorilla so if he can learn to use those along with leverage and technique he could make an ideal OC.

Who I don't want doing it is Trubisky because that may have caused some of our problems last.  Foles however could.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

I think the idea of drafting either Ruiz or Cushenberry who I might prefer is we're taking another college OC and doubling down on the chance that we can move Whitehair from OC to OG where he could still make the line calls if that became necessary.  Cushenberry has arms like a gorilla so if he can learn to use those along with leverage and technique he could make an ideal OC.

Who I don't want doing it is Trubisky because that may have caused some of our problems last.  Foles however could.

I am not sold on Cushenberry.  

38 minutes ago, soulman said:

Reasons?

He’s not bad.  Definitely a draft able player and potential NFL starter.    He is real good with his combo run blocks.   It seems teams were pretty afraid of Burrow so they didn’t usually rush more than 4 and not usually over center so he was usually just helping a guard on pass blocks.   When he had to deal with a good rusher one on one he wasn’t that great.  Auburn kid whooped him a few times, but he is supposed go real high in draft.   

He’s not greatest out in space and for some reason ends up on the ground a lot.  

I think he would fit in very well with a run heavy zone team like SF.   If you were going to drop back vast majority of time I think he could get exposed.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

He’s not bad.  Definitely a draft able player and potential NFL starter.    He is real good with his combo run blocks.   It seems teams were pretty afraid of Burrow so they didn’t usually rush more than 4 and not usually over center so he was usually just helping a guard on pass blocks.   When he had to deal with a good rusher one on one he wasn’t that great.  Auburn kid whooped him a few times, but he is supposed go real high in draft.   

He’s not greatest out in space and for some reason ends up on the ground a lot.  

I think he would fit in very well with a run heavy zone team like SF.   If you were going to drop back vast majority of time I think he could get exposed.   

Fair enough but I think we're gonna find that anyone whose a 2nd round pick will have at least a few flaws in their game.  The question is are they correctable and is the player coachable.  I've not seen him play so my judgement is coming only from scouting reports.

I'll throw another name in the hat here for a #43 pick.  Not so much a wild card pick (that's about where he's ranked to go) as a one where Pace decides to add a playmaker type WR with the thought of replacing Cohen who could also be draft weekend trade bait.  He's also a guy who could be looked at as a PR.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jalen-reagor?id=32195245-4133-8982-9a32-957d59a1e153

Overview

Spotty quarterback play helped cause a production drop, but his focus and competitiveness also seemed spotty at times. Reagor is a smooth athlete with blazing speed who has more playmaking talent than receiver skill and play-callers need to account for that when determining how to utilize him. He's electric with the ball in his hands so getting it to him quickly rather than asking him to consistently make plays for himself as a ball-winner could be crucial. When 2019 is balanced against his 2018, the grade and projection begin to climb with a versatile receiver who's able to spice the offensive gumbo.

Strengths
  • Fluid but explosive
  • Versatility to create chunk plays from all levels
  • Works all three levels, including gadget plays
  • Sells vertical push to set up route breaks
  • Loose hips to sink quickly to snap off breaks
  • Shows ability to lose coverage at the top of the route
  • Gets to top speed very quickly and opens separation deep
  • Able to leap up the ladder and snag it at the high-point
  • Silky with the ball in his hands
  • Plays like a slashing running back in space
  • Creative return option with home-run potential
Weaknesses
  • Gets stalled by press more than expected
  • Strong cornerbacks ride and grind on early stages of route
  • Needs to maintain focus and finish his routes
  • Frustration with quarterback appeared to creep into play at times
  • Cornerbacks go unstacked on long throws
  • Uneven tape in competitive catch situations
  • Inconsistent leveraging space to catch
  • Ball skills fail to match athletic ability
  • Like 1

Anyone think corner might be a target in round 2?

*looks at roster*

Outside of Fuller and Skrine, we have:

Artie Burns (can be released for 887k)

Kevin Tolliver II (can be released for 5k)

Duke Shelley (can be released for 95k)

Xavier Crawford (can be released for 21k)

Tre Roberson (can be released for 215k)

Michael Joseph (can be released for 12.5k)

Stephen Denmark (can be released for free)

I could very easily see us go for a stud corner to pair with our elite pass rush. That would make some combination of Burns/Tolliver/Roberson depth.

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

Anyone think corner might be a target in round 2?

*looks at roster*

Outside of Fuller and Skrine, we have:

Artie Burns (can be released for 887k)

Kevin Tolliver II (can be released for 5k)

Duke Shelley (can be released for 95k)

Xavier Crawford (can be released for 21k)

Tre Roberson (can be released for 215k)

Michael Joseph (can be released for 12.5k)

Stephen Denmark (can be released for free)

I could very easily see us go for a stud corner to pair with our elite pass rush. That would make some combination of Burns/Tolliver/Roberson depth.

I think they like Tolliver and Roberson.

I am not sure a 2nd round CB beats out Toliver at this point. At least early in the season.

• Like 1

Just now, WindyCity said:

I think they like Tolliver and Roberson.

I am not sure a 2nd round CB beats out Toliver at this point. At least early in the season.

I think they like them as depth... think about it, if you can get a first round talent at pick #43, you've got two solid corners for a decent price when combined and it will stay that way across from your two expensive edge rushers.

From McShay's latest 2 round mock:

43. Chicago Bears (from LV)

Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio State

The Bears didn't yield much in the passing game last season, but they also didn't do much in forcing turnovers. Plus, free agency cleaned out the secondary a bit. Arnette has smooth hips and some twitch to his game.

50. Chicago Bears

Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU

We gave the Bears a corner earlier on Day 2, and they still need a safety. But with no value there, it's a good place to bring in another receiver for Nick Foles and/or Mitchell Trubisky. Reagor has wheels.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, G08 said:

I think they like them as depth... think about it, if you can get a first round talent at pick #43, you've got two solid corners for a decent price when combined and it will stay that way across from your two expensive edge rushers.

They could. But I don’t see how free agency freed them up to not have need influence the pick more than this.

CB is a premium position, but they have added to that spot and have some young guys who might be able to play. I think they let that spot breath a little this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GBHalas said:

The Bears need a big play threat to help this anemic offense.  Would love for them to grab him at 43 and trade down for extra picks with the pick at 50.

Seems to me he'd be a perfect Slot guy you could hit on quick slants and drag routes and then let him roll up YAC.  His Combine 40 time doesn't indicate that he's a real downfield thread yet his scouting reports say he plays much faster than he times.  I'll take that.

As much as I like Cohen we've failed to find ways to consistently use his strengths and he's not really a gadget play type.  There have been rumors that Pace will look to trade him and his $2.1 mil salary because he doesn't plan to re-sign him after this year.  If there's any truth to that at all then Reagor is more suited to the role Nagy as somehow envisioned for Cohen.

For those who want to see us draft a playmaker type I think Reagor fits that description and he could be very productive if used much like GB once used Randall Cobb.