Scouting Potential Bears Selections

dll2000

6 hours ago, Orange&Blue said:

From McShay's latest 2 round mock:

43. Chicago Bears (from LV)

Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio State

The Bears didn't yield much in the passing game last season, but they also didn't do much in forcing turnovers. Plus, free agency cleaned out the secondary a bit. Arnette has smooth hips and some twitch to his game.

50. Chicago Bears

Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU

We gave the Bears a corner earlier on Day 2, and they still need a safety. But with no value there, it's a good place to bring in another receiver for Nick Foles and/or Mitchell Trubisky. Reagor has wheels.

I could live with that. However, I think O line is too important to ignore in the second, unless something weird happens and the Bears trade a fifth for Trent Williams. I also think McShay's being a little unrealistic with Reagor there at #50. Reagor's probably a guy I'd be all over at #43, and be thankful he fell that far.

And, by the way:

DifferentVengefulBrownbutterfly-size_res

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I could live that. However, I think O line is too important to ignore in the second, unless something weird happens and the Bears trade a fifth for Trent Williams. I also think McShay's being a little unrealistic with Reagor there at #50. Reagor's probably a guy I'd be all over at #43, and be thankful he fell that far.

And, by the way:

Trade a 5th for a top 3 LT in football. Maybe in Madden, perhaps in your dreams, but not in reality.

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I could live that. However, I think O line is too important to ignore in the second, unless something weird happens and the Bears trade a fifth for Trent Williams. I also think McShay's being a little unrealistic with Reagor there at #50. Reagor's probably a guy I'd be all over at #43, and be thankful he fell that far.

And, by the way:

We’re in a bad spot - we could definitely use an OL talent infusion. But, we also need both our round 2 guys to be 2020 contributors, and at least 4 of our 5 OL starters are basically set in stone as far as 2020 goes. If they’re drafting someone they expect to start over Ifedi at RG it could happen, but if we’re drafting someone to compete with Ifedi to start at RG I think it may be someone a bit later. As much as we could use a long term OT upgrade I don’t think anyone we draft at 43 or 50 is starting over Leno or Massie unless they were to shift Massie inside which would be difficult to do with no offseason program likely to happen.

This conundrum is the biggest reason I can’t see a scenario where we don’t trade down at least once in round 2. We simply need more volume at the top of the draft than we presently have. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

We’re in a bad spot - we could definitely use an OL talent infusion. But, we also need both our round 2 guys to be 2020 contributors, and at least 4 of our 5 OL starters are basically set in stone as far as 2020 goes. If they’re drafting someone they expect to start over Ifedi at RG it could happen, but if we’re drafting someone to compete with Ifedi to start at RG I think it may be someone a bit later. As much as we could use a long term OT upgrade I don’t think anyone we draft at 43 or 50 is starting over Leno or Massie unless they were to shift Massie inside which would be difficult to do with no offseason program likely to happen.

This conundrum is the biggest reason I can’t see a scenario where we don’t trade down at least once in round 2. We simply need more volume at the top of the draft than we presently have. 

You could be right about that, although as everyone knows I find that route unappealing. However, I'm not entirely sure there won't be a tackle at #43 that we could use. You do have to take into account all the various line problems that went on, particularly with Leno. If some guy could come in and bench Leno, then you do that and just eat the salary, have Leno as depth. If they could get a guy to come in and start inside--I'd prefer a center, move Whitehair to guard with Daniels--then that's fine, too. See if Ifedi can beat out Massie, if not, Ifedi's depth. Second round contracts are small enough it would all work itself out. 

17 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm late to Jefferson but man the guy is impressive...shocked he had such limited production but if we rated Ridley last year this guy has all the same size, length and ball skills but with way more gas and suddenness...if we can take a safety/OL by trading down a little and pick up a 3rd I would take this guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm late to Jefferson but man the guy is impressive...shocked he had such limited production but if we rated Ridley last year this guy has all the same size, length and ball skills but with way more gas and suddenness...if we can take a safety/OL by trading down a little and pick up a 3rd I would take this guy.

Pearson could be there at #50. You could trade down from your higher pick then, and get more. That's a bigger gamble, though. 

By now the signing of Ifedi coupled with our dilemma of having two few picks in rounds 2-4 may mean that they intend to play Ifedi inside at RG hoping he'll be penalized less because he's not on an island as he was at OT.

Tough decision.  OG, SS, and a playmaking WR are all needs in round two yet we have just two picks.  What position gets bumped down?

3 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Pearson could be there at #50. You could trade down from your higher pick then, and get more. That's a bigger gamble, though. 

I wouldn't be mad at #50...there is a little bit of OBJ about this guy...his release is savage.

6 minutes ago, soulman said:

By now the signing of Ifedi coupled with our dilemma of having two few picks in rounds 2-4 may mean that they intend to play Ifedi inside at RG hoping he'll be penalized less because he's not on an island as he was at OT.

Tough decision.  OG, SS, and a playmaking WR are all needs in round two yet we have just two picks.  What position gets bumped down?

I'd move down SS. There are 4 All Pro's on that defense. If they really feel that they need to improve the 10th or 11th best player on D with a 2nd rounder, I'd be disappointed (unless McKinney or Chinn are there).

9 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Pearson?

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'd move down SS. There are 4 All Pro's on that defense. If they really feel that they need to improve the 10th or 11th best player on D with a 2nd rounder, I'd be disappointed (unless McKinney or Chinn are there).

If we could draft a playmaker who might replace Cohen and a top OG/OC I'd be willing to forego a SS.  As much as I like what Chinn offers physically he's another guy from a smaller program lacking in some of the higher instincts and triggers that are so important at SS.  He may or may not be a guy who can step in and help full time day one.  And other highly rated SS (Duggar) comes from an even smaller program.

26 minutes ago, soulman said:

If we could draft a playmaker who might replace Cohen and a top OG/OC I'd be willing to forego a SS.  As much as I like what Chinn offers physically he's another guy from a smaller program lacking in some of the higher instincts and triggers that are so important at SS.  He may or may not be a guy who can step in and help full time day one.  And other highly rated SS (Duggar) comes from an even smaller program.

Chinn is a freak of nature. What he lacks in instincts can perhaps be made up in athleticism. Amos didn't have great instincts either. I think when you're surrounded by All Pro's, you 1) don't need to be great yourself, from a player's perspective and 2) don't need to fill that spot with such a high pick & arguably greater needs elsewhere, from a GM's perspective.

• Like 1