(List) Smart, Tough, & Accountable: The Brown's New Way & the 2020 NFL Draft Class

Mind Character

Please List Prospects who from multiple sources (e.g., Teammates, Coaches, Scouts, etc) are thought to have High Quality to Elite Smart, Tough, & Accountable On and Off the Field Characteristics

*** Not About Just Posting Players One Likes or Personally Thinks Come Off Well, BUT Instead Aggregating Consensus Information that we've all Encountered while researching/reading/watching all the things we have regarding players and the 2020 Draft.***

The idea behind the thread is about listing players for whom there are a multitude of converging sources of evidence where the picture is unanimous and clear regarding certain players' STAs (Smart, Tough, and Accountable).

For now, I thought it would be useful for us to start keeping track of player's thought to be high in Smart, Tough, & Accountable Quotient (STA-Quotient) as a way to potentially forecast players the Browns FO may have a particular affinity for. This might reveal that there are certain players the Browns may be giving more consideration to than is commonly discussed via draftnikian conversations.

*** The Player's to be Listed aren't based necessarily on their high quality of on-field play per se (i.e., Grant Delpit is Cheeks, but he is by all account High in Smart, Tough, & Accountable metrics).

For example, I'm not high on K'Lavon Chaisson and only see him as 34-OLB, but his STA-Quotient by all accounts is off the charts. Might that make a true consideration at 10 for Berry and co.? I hope not, but maybe that's the case. It also means although his play is not something that I'd at all be excited about, his intangibles and STAs might have a positive impact on the team. Now, what exactly is that worth precisely I don't really know and I skew toward rather going for guys with play-ability and STAs.

---------------------------

The Cleveland Browns have a "Way."

To the best of our knowledge, that "Way" Has two primary, publicized tenets.

1. Build the Team with People who are Smart, Tough, and Accountable On and Off the Field.
  2. Taking an Analytical Approach using Analytical Information Gathering and Analyzation Processes across all aspects of the Football and Related Organizational Decision-Making.

When it comes to roster building let's say the Browns are looking for players High in Smarts, Toughness, and Accountability. We'll call it a given player's STA-Value or STA-Quotient.

The "Way" is the Cultural driving force fueling roster/organizational building decisions.

We've seen what other Ways look like in the Browns organization from short-sighted, accumulation of talent and character risks to haphazard or incompetent decision making processes that lead to decisions such as Justin Gilbert or Johnny Manziel.

--------------------------------------

Given knowledge of particular GMs affinities, often times it can be easy to predict player-organizational fits.

We'll learn a lot of about Andrew Berry if/when the Draft commences; we've already learned a lot from his Free Agent acquisitions.

2020 NFL Draft Prospect - Smart, Tough, & Accountable (Incomplete Lists):

Rarest/Most-Elite Smart, Tough, and Accountable On and Off the Field People (STA-Quotient)

== Numerous Reports from Teammates, Coaches, Scouts, and Others of the Elite of the Elite STA-Quotient:

1. Kenneth Murray, LB Oklahoma
  2. Jalen Hurts, QB Oklahoma
  3. Joe Burrow, QB LSU
  4. Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama
  5. K'Lavon Chaisson, DE LSU
  6. Jeffrey Okudah, CB Ohio State
  7. Xavier Mckinney, S Alabama
  8. Denzel Mims, WR Baylor

High Quality/Good Smart, Tough, and Accountable On and Off the Field People (STA-Quotient)

== Numerous Reports from Teammates, Coaches, Scouts, and Others of the Really Good STA-Quotient:

1. Van Jefferson, WR Florida
  2. Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB LSU
  3. Jeff Gladney, CB TCU
  4. Grant Delpit, SS LSU
  5. Ezra Cleveland, OT Boise State
  6. JK Dobbins, RB Ohio State
  7. Cole Kmet, TE Notre Dame
  8. Austin Jackson, LT USC
Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

@Mind Character, this seems like just about the most subjective thread idea imaginable, but it seems like a fun diversion.Ā 

I am not sure if this exactly qualifies for what you are talking about, but watching Malik Harrison makes me endorse him as one of those guys who has that proverbial elf in him; he just goes really hard and plays right on the edge at times.

Henry Ruggs and Cedee Lamb come off top notch, as does Isaiah Simmons. AJ Dillon has humble energy, as does Edwards-Helaire. I like Steven Montez too.

A player that I heard about was LT Andrew Thomas, which is why he's my #1 OT. His work ethic is legendary in Athens....

This article from a few years ago when I first started pimping him (and the Two Auburn D'Lineman Brown and Davidson.....Big Kat Bryant came a year or two later) when he was a freshman and got on my Radar.. They talked about starting this kid as a freshman because of his intangibles....(the same way I'm I've been pimping the LT at Oregon and the RT and Minn since last year ;))

Ā 

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/andrew-thomas-eclipsing-georgia-newcomers

Ā 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

A player that I heard about was LT Andrew Thomas, which is why he's my #1 OT. His work ethic is legendary in Athens....

This article from a few years ago when I first started pimping him (and the Two Auburn D'Lineman Brown and Davidson.....Big Kat Bryant came a year or two later) when he was a freshman and got on my Radar.. They talked about starting this kid as a freshman because of his intangibles....(the same way I'm I've been pimping the LT at Oregon and the RT and Minn since last year ;))

Ā 

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/andrew-thomas-eclipsing-georgia-newcomers

Just carve pick 10 into a @šŸŒ² already: it's Andrew Thomas.

Edited by NudeTayne
Mind will explode when Wills goes top-6.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

@Mind Character, this seems like just about the most subjective thread idea imaginable, but it seems like a fun diversion.Ā 

I am not sure if this exactly qualifies for what you are talking about, but watching Malik Harrison makes me endorse him as one of those guys who has that proverbial elf in him; he just goes really hard and plays right on the edge at times.

Henry Ruggs and Cedee Lamb come off top notch, as does Isaiah Simmons. AJ Dillon has humble energy, as does Edwards-Helaire. I like Steven Montez too.

You misunderstood the point of the thread. It's not about how they "come off" to US subjectively/personally as we don't know any of these prospects, or who you like personally.

The idea behind the thread is about listing players for whom there are a multitude of converging sources of evidence/information from reliable sources (Coaches, teammates, scouts, university insiders, etc) where the picture is unanimous and clear regarding certain players' High STA-Quotient.

Of course, that means beyond the general coaches speak or teammate speak.

For example, coming out of college Jamal Adams according to Coaches at LSU, Scouts, and LSU administrative staff was the "best Leader the program has ever seen." It wasn't just one source but teammates and tons of others. Therefore, to the best of our perspective from the outside looking in, Jamal Adams would've been on this list.

There are programs that have special Jersey Numbers for Elite Leaders and during the selection of that player Coaches and Teammates give personal accounts of why that player is deserving of that honor. For example, K'Lavon Chaisson was given the number 18 which requires consensus Elite Leadership and Commitment off and on the field. Scouts and coaches/teammates then convey the consistent pattern of behavior that makes said player special or have a high STA factor.

There's nothing just purely subjective about that per se but instead aggregating the consensus opinion we've encountered during our various readings and researching.

Edited by Mind Character

@Mind Character, but your position on Chaisson on the field is that his abilities to translate to cheeks in the NFL?

And where are you getting your info on guys being consensus top notch leaders? It seems hard to track that info other than on the most talked-about players. I did misread the first time.

Edited by NudeTayne

Everything IĀ have seen and read says that Jerry Jeudy wr Alabama is going to be a stud because he is a team leader, but not a diva, and absolutely loves football and devoted to winning.Ā Ā 

also Noah Igbinohgene cb Auburn from all accounts fits the bill of being smart tough and accountable.Ā  He is relatively new to football but has improved and shown significant skill development each year.

Edited by Horseunit
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

@Mind Character, but your position on Chaisson on the field is that his abilities to translate to cheeks in the NFL?

And where are you getting your info on guys being consensus top notch leaders? It seems hard to track that info other than on the most talked-about players. I did misread the first time.

Indeed, my personal/subjective opinion on K'Lavon Chaisson is that he'll be cheeks all based on his play that I can observe on the field.

This thread I was hoping for something different though as We've all put our personal opinions on prospects in the general Prospects thread numerous times.

However, the Consensus Opinion of Reliable Direct Sources with K'Lavon (i.e., Teammates, Coaches, and LSU Insiders) say that he's an unbelievable leader and fits the very definition of "Smart, Tough, and Accountable on and off the field."

So, there's a disconnect between how I see him as a player in terms of his quality of play on the field versus how those that know him think of him as an elite intangible, leader, that does everything right.

As a result, I included him on the list of Players who from multiple converging sources are said to be Elite in STA-Quotient.

To me, that let's me know that he and players like him might be given more consideration by Berry and co.

In terms of where do I get this info on Chaisson? Converging accounts from many sources. For example, Daniel Jeremiah (former scout), Lance Zierlein (draft insider/analyst and son of current OLine coaching legend Larry Zierleing), and Bucky Brooks (former scout, elite 11 coach, high school, recruiting analyst) all report what scouts are telling them about certain players including how their teammates talk about them as the primary leader on the team, what the coaches and strengths staff tell them, what scouts say about their combine and personal interviews, etc. Brooks often has insight into players from their high school or elite 11 days as well. For Chaisson, in various podcasts and interviews they've talked about his plus STAs.

Beyond them, Rashard Lawrence, Justin Jefferson, Joe Burrow, Clyde Edwards-Helaire, and Grant Delpit during their media rounds at the combine all talked about leadership moments that Chaisson provided that helped pull the team through adversity. Such conversations exist in written transcript form in a lot of draft process coverage or in video form of interviews or draft pressers.

Another part comes from the Coaches and related Staff at LSU, who all have talked about Chaisson as a special STA guy. I used the example earlier but there are programs that have special Jersey Numbers for Elite Leaders and during the selection of that player Coaches and Teammates give personal accounts of why that player is deserving of that honor. For example, K'Lavon Chaisson was given the number 18 which requires consensus Elite Leadership and Commitment off and on the field. Scouts and coaches/teammates then convey the consistent pattern of behavior that makes said player special or have a high STA factor.

When that player is selected the school media ask the coaches about the selection much like when reporters ask about Team Captains and why a team selected such a captain. Some schools like Temple and Baylor under Matt Rhule reserve a set of single digit numbers for the elite leaders or have names of certain player leader roles that a team can earn. Teams also have post-season captain or award ceremonies for the STA guys.

Listening to other various draft analyst podcasts comes with it the sharing of things they heard at the combine or over the top praise from teammates about a certain player.

All of these converging sources of info, to the best of our knowledge point to K'Lavon Chaisson as fitting the personal profile of the Browns "Smart, Tough, and Accountable on and off he field." Therefore, despite me thinking Chaisson is cheeks, I come away with the opinion that based on a multitude of sources he may be a player the Browns have a high opinion on, especially since many people see his game far more favorably than me.

Beat-writer/insider pieces often search for key STA moments form certain players that turn a season or major events for the positive growth of the team.

For all the players I listed in the OP, it's these types of converging evidences that led me to include them on such a list. I encountered these various sources of info during the process of trying to familiarize myself with the top prospects.

Ā 

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 4:11 PM, Mind Character said:

2020 NFL Draft Prospect - Smart, Tough, & Accountable (Incomplete Lists):

Rarest/Most-Elite Smart, Tough, and Accountable On and Off the Field People (STA-Quotient)

== Numerous Reports from Teammates, Coaches, Scouts, and Others of the Elite of the Elite STA-Quotient:

1. Kenneth Murray, LB Oklahoma
  2. Jalen Hurts, QB Oklahoma
  3. Joe Burrow, QB LSU
  4. Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama
  5. K'Lavon Chaisson, DE LSU
  6. Jeffrey Okudah, CB Ohio State
  7. Xavier Mckinney, S Alabama
  8. Denzel Mims, WR Baylor

Ā 

• Like 1