(List) Smart, Tough, & Accountable: The Brown's New Way & the 2020 NFL Draft Class

Mind Character

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

Pick 41 🔥🔥🔥

Berry and co. love Kenneth Murray.

They're probably hoping he'll be there at 41.

I wanted to love his tape so much more based on the off the chart intangibles, but his coverage ability and instincts against the pass are so beyond cheeks it hurt me to watch. He doesn't fit well in the run game or take on blocks well either, but his range sideline to sideline is absolutely insane and elite.

He also doesn't play with much instinctual feel for range playmaking and to me that's a no no for a LB.

He has to see it clearly and then he makes the play at the speed of light with full effort.

His impact in the locker room and his ability to make splash plays would be immense, but I just don't see him ever developing the feel for the game required to be a real force in the league although I'll root like heck for him and hope he gets there.

There are far worse picks we could make at 41 than Kenneth Murray and I don't want to bet against the young man, but man is that pass coverage ability and instincts cheek cheeks.

Ultimately though, these are 21 year olds that have a chance to be something different in 2 to 3 years. Those first few years though are going to be home runs and whiffs though with him even if he takes an unexpected leap down the line.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

I can’t see what the OP says but. Arlen Davidson is a guy that matches the thread title. He’s not as talented as a Kenneth Murray but I feel like he’s going to be a 10 year cog on a team’s DL.

giphy.gif

Mind Character: please comment on one of your criteria  

When you determine a prospect is highly rated in the "TOUGH" category, are you considering injury history or a greater injury probability as an NFL player?

For the example, you in the past noted some knee concerns about Kinlaw's knee and John Ross of the Bengals probably never was of sufficient size to avoid injuries. Actually, the same could apply to prospects with character, drug or alcohol problems such as Manziel, Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell  

My point is that shortcomings either known in advance or likely foreseeable have stopped or prevented careers of many players. 

Thank you. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bruceb said:

Marlon

12 hours ago, pnies20 said:

Phone autocorrected it

I know, but I don't miss a chance to post a quality gif.

Personally, not a huge fan of Davidson. But it's not a super deep DT draft so I get it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I know, but I don't miss a chance to post a quality gif.

Personally, not a huge fan of Davidson. But it's not a super deep DT draft so I get it.

I’m talking third round. He’s a solid pick there. 

I think Javon Kinlaw is a perfect example of smart, tough, and accountable. This article really brings that point home: http://www.nfl.com/labs/cfb247/javon-kinlaw/javon-kinlaw. Kinlaw went from essentially homelessness and the potential for a life in and out of courts, to a grown responsible man that threw out the excuses, took ownership of his life, and is now a success. He is a dominant player and they type of high character individual that would benefit any organization.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 10:39 AM, HH650 said:

Mind Character: please comment on one of your criteria  

When you determine a prospect is highly rated in the "TOUGH" category, are you considering injury history or a greater injury probability as an NFL player?

For the example, you in the past noted some knee concerns about Kinlaw's knee and John Ross of the Bengals probably never was of sufficient size to avoid injuries. Actually, the same could apply to prospects with character, drug or alcohol problems such as Manziel, Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell  

My point is that shortcomings either known in advance or likely foreseeable have stopped or prevented careers of many players. 

Thank you. 

Good questions.

Toughness as in Mental Toughness, Grit, the Ability to Work and Elevate through Adversity, an Energy Giver in a time of Crisis/Stress, and Emotional/Overall Maturity.

For the purpose of this thread, I didn't include "body toughness," even though it's important butI don't have direct medical evals on players even though I like to take into account sourced info on players' medical flags.

There's also another reason why I didn't include "body toughness." That's because there's a huge difference between a guy that gets injured a lot but plays through everything he can at as high a level as he can and leaves all on the field. Those type of players only miss times when they simply can't go. Fans always say things like "that player is weak" and express disdain for that player in ways that show they don't know how fluky injuries can be or that injuries are guaranteed in a physical sport like football.  So, I didn't want to overvalue guys without injury history simply because they haven't been injured and miss out on a guy who's been injured but is as tough as nails but happened to have his body fail him in a contact sport.

There is also something to be said about the physical toughness of bouncing back from an injury and being close to, at, or beyond the level of physical strength, endurance, agility, etc compared to before injury. JJ Watt to me is a STA guy who's body has failed him. He's tough.

That's why Tua makes the list (AND not according to my opinions but what multiple converging sources have said) because he is thought to be Elite Leadership and Accountability wise, He's a mentally tough individual of a high order, and he's smart/mature and studies the game in ways that are expressed as Elite according to teammates, peers, coaches, and others with direct contact with him.

You're right that foreseeable shortcomings of players have prevented positive careers arcs of many players. Most players in the NFL fail because they are not smart, mentally tough, accountable, leaders, or investors in the game/improvement. Injuries are a reality as well though,

Edited by Mind Character

22 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

@Mind Character and @BleedTheClock

What is your best and worst case scenario for the browns  at 10 and our 2nd round pick?

Best Case Scenario at 10:

1.) Jedrick Wills
2.) Jeffrey Okudah
3.) If Wills, Okudah, Simmons, and Thomas are gone, Trading Down and getting tons of value

Worst Case Scenario at 10 (Of the Plausible Eventualities):

It's hard to imagine the Browns really going insane at 10 so it's more worst of the plausible options

1.) Passing on Wills, Okudah, or Simmons for Tristan Wirfs to play Tackle
2.) Drafting Tristan Wirfs as a Tackle
3.) K'Lavon Chaisson at 10
4.) Josh Jones at 10
5.) Trading Down and taking Grant Delpit, Ashtyn Davis, or K'Lavon Chaisson in the 1st Round
6.) Trading Down and taking Ezra Cleveland in the 1st
7.) Taking Mekhi Becton top 10

--------

Best Case in the 2nd:

1.) Robert Hunt, OG Louisiana-Lafayette
2.) Denzel Mims, WR Baylor
3.) Antoine Winfield Jr., Minnesota
4.) If we pass on Tackle in the 1st, getting Austin Jackson, LT in the second
5.) Jeff Gladney, CB TCU
6.) Jonathan Taylor, RB Wisconsin

Worst Case in the 2nd:

1.) In general, taking a non-quality start for our 2nd Round
2.) Losing our mind and taking a guy like Lucas Niang, OL in the 2nd
3.) Grant Delpit, SS LSU
4.) Curtis Weaver, DE Boise State
5.) Ashtyn Davis, FS Cal
6.) Taking Jeremy Chinn, S Southern Illinois then watching Browns fans rejoice when they see his Combine testing numbers

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1