Cowboys - Build The Board, Round 1: Pick 18

DaBoys

DALLAS COWBOYS BIG BOARD  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #18 Player on our big board?

• QB - Jordan Love, Utah St.
    • RB - J.K. Dobbins, Ohio State
    • RB - Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin
    • RB - D'Andre Swift, Georgia
    • WR - Justin Jefferson, LSU
    • WR - Denzel Mims, Baylor
    • WR - Laviska Shenault jr., Colorado
    • WR - Brandon Aiyuk, Arizona St.
    • IOL - Cesar Ruiz, Michigan
    • EDGE - A.J. Epenesa, Iowa
    • EDGE - Yetur Gross-Matos, Penn State
    • EDGE - Curtis Weaver, Boise St
    • EDGE - Zack Baun, Wisconsin
    • DT - Ross Blacklock, TCU
    • LB - Patrick Queen, LSU
    • LB - Kenneth Murray, Oklahoma
    • CB - Kristian Fulton, LSU
    • S - Antoine Winfield Jr., Minnesota
    • S - Grant Delpit, LSU
    • S - Xavier McKinney, Alabama

This is a tough one. Lots of different guys have a case. 

Even though we may not need a RB unless we trade Zeke, Taylor, Swift, and Dobbins all have an argument here as the BPA.

Even though we have Jaylon, LVE, and Lee, both the top LBs Queen and Murray have a case here.

And there's YGM and Epenesa who are both excellent with their hands and technique, off the charts production but questionable explosiveness. If Epenesa would have skipped the combine he'd probably be the hands down BPA here. 

I wouldn't hate on Jefferson, Mims, Delpit, or McKinney getting votes either.

I went with Queen. We may not need a LB depending on LVEs neck, but we might. Either way I think Queen is probably BPA here. 

He is #15 in Daniel Jeremiah's top 50:

Patrick-Queen-1.jpg

Patrick Queen, LB

School: LSU | Year: Junior
Previous rank: 15

Queen is an undersized linebacker with outstanding burst, instincts and coverage ability. Against the pass, he is very fluid in his drops and his change-of-direction ability is excellent. He has good instincts to jump routes and he closes to the flat in a hurry. He is a very dynamic blitzer (see him flat-back an offensive guard in the Texas A&M game). In the run game, he is quick to key/read and shoot gaps. He does get uprooted at times because of his size, but he usually finds a way to beat blockers to spots. Overall, Queen is a high-tempo playmaker at the second level and should impact all three downs.

He is being mocked as high as #10 to Cleveland. He ran a 4.5 and jumped 35inchs at the combine. He was maybe the best defensive player on the best team in college football with stats and timed athleticism to back it up. I think he is plenty worthy to be our 18. I have a feeling I'll be voting for him for a few rounds before he gets in though.

Overview

While other Tigers received more attention, Queen has some of the most eye-opening tape of the bunch. He plays fast, physical and with impressive field confidence for a one-year starter. His ability to diagnose and flow are both very rapid, and he operates with excellent body control and balance to gobble up runners as an open-field tackler. His inexperience will show itself in taking on blocks and finding optimal pursuit angles, but that will get cleaned up in time. Queen is next up from LSU's linebacker factory, possessing the same three-down ability to hunt, cover and tackle as those before him. He's an early starter with a sky-high ceiling

Edited by DaBoys

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

Fulton is soft and was torched in nearly every game I watched him play. No thanks.

I didn’t see that at all. I think his big knock is he doesn’t play the ball well in the air so he won’t create a ton of turnovers, but he can stick with anyone in press man. He did give too much of a cushion in off man, though

IMO the board gets really soft at this point. The key for us is going to be having 3 QBs and 4 OLs taken in the top-16. If that happens, which looks likely, we'll be guaranteed a blue chip prospect at a position of need.

If it doesn't, and the board looks like this at our pick, I'm a big Epenesa fan. I think he'd add a lot to our defense from day 1.

I'm very proud of you guys for voting Epenesa despite his poor combine. You hear people every year say the combine doesn't matter, trust the tape, tape over time, and my favorite is "nothing matters at the combine but the interviews."

It sounds nice, but then nobody practices it when a guy like Epenesa, or Brown have bad showings.

Edited by DaBoys

Mims needs some more love. He is going to be an absolute stud. I watched every single snap of his in college. He has it all. Speed, size, strength, ridiculous catch radius, elite blocker. He can catch a screen and get a tough first down or blaze the opp corner for a 60 yard TD.

1 hour ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

Mims needs some more love. He is going to be an absolute stud. I watched every single snap of his in college. He has it all. Speed, size, strength, ridiculous catch radius, elite blocker. He can catch a screen and get a tough first down or blaze the opp corner for a 60 yard TD.

21 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I'm very proud of you guys for voting Epenesa despite his poor combine. You hear people every year say the combine doesn't matter, trust the tape, tape over time, and my favorite is "nothing matters at the combine but the interviews."

It sounds nice, but then nobody practices it when a guy like Epenesa, or Brown have bad showings.

You have to know what you are getting with Epenesa. He’s not a blue chip prospect, but it’s easy to feel confident that he’s going to be a really good player for a long time. IMO, the last blue chipper went off the board here at 17, so Epenesa makes a lot of sense now.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

You have to know what you are getting with Epenesa. He’s not a blue chip prospect, but it’s easy to feel confident that he’s going to be a really good player for a long time. IMO, the last blue chipper went off the board here at 17, so Epenesa makes a lot of sense now.

Who would be a good comp for Epenesa? I've heard Justin Smith, which I would be thrilled to have