Raiders sign S Damarious Randall

Justwinning

SWEET!!! Didn't think we'd get him. I could see a S in the 3rd to sit/learn but not a need. Just if there's value. A vet CB or trade up for Okudah. Would prefer one in the 2nd round but if he slips to #8 I don't see how we don't make an offer Zona can't refuse. Then trade down 19 or go WR. I liked DR in Green Bay but don't know what he did for Browns or whatever team he was on. LOL

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Our ability to neutralize opposing TE’s and plays in the middle of the field should be night and day compared to last season with Abram/Randall at safety & Kwit/Littleton at linebacker. 

That is the hope. I still see us using a 3rd on one of those positions though because...you know...injuries.

I have watched Randall since his days at ASU. He is a pure deep safety. Never made sense when the Packers drafted him and turned him into a CB. Makes all the sense that the Raiders bring him in Mike Mayock really likes him when he came out. 

Just keep him away from CB

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Even with this awesome safety depth, I’m hoping Terrell Burgess or Ashtyn Davis fall to us at 80. 

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Big signing. With all the vets I wonder if drafting one is still on the table. CB is looking like an early lock...

I would love Burgess at 80. He is the type of player that will study his tail off and is a good not great athlete but will be around for awhile. He can play center field once he learns the NFL speed and gets the defense down. He'll be a ST demon for a year and the push to start in year 2. Not big on Davis. Just seems too raw to me.

Edited by NightTrainLane
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I have watched Randall since his days at ASU. He is a pure deep safety. Never made sense when the Packers drafted him and turned him into a CB. Makes all the sense that the Raiders bring him in Mike Mayock really likes him when he came out. 

Just keep him away from CB

Have to be honest and say I know little about Randall, a number if posters here were calling for his signing so what are his strengths, weaknesses how does he fit in our system?

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Have to be honest and say I know little about Randall, a number if posters here were calling for his signing so what are his strengths, weaknesses how does he fit in our system?

His cover ability and speed is his strength. Used poorly by the Packers at CB. Good guy to have in the AFC West where you face so many good TEs. Guy that would be able to play both Safety spots and cover TEs.

He played really well in 2018 played dropped in 2019 which is probably why his market didn’t develop.Perfect fit for the Raiders defense. Gives them the center field safety that they been lacking.

Weakness I would say any time you play him at CB he’s not that big and not physical. . He struggled big time and is the reason he didn’t last long with the Packers.

Great buy low signing that he should easily outplay his contract and hopefully sign long term. 

Also fun fact he has picked off Derek Carr at least twice in his career.

This quote from Mayock when he was drafted makes and gives me hope that they will just leave him at FS. 

Randall is what today's free safety is all about. He is by far the best cover safety in this draft. Randall can play man-to-man; he has cornerback-level cover skills. You give up some physicality, but his coverage ability is where the NFL is going. Remember Jimmie Ward was a first-rounder last year (to the 49ers) with a similar skill set." -- Mike Mayock

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 1

I like the move better than the Apple signing.  Randall is still young, fills a void and from what I can tell he is a ball hawking FS.  

Now we are looking at a CB being one of our first 2 picks. 

I would love to see us make some trades in the 1st.  Either trade up for a stud (Okuda, Young, Simmons) or trade back and acquire more picks.  This will be a fun draft.