Raiders sign Damarious Randall

Justwinning

On 4/4/2020 at 7:30 AM, Toddfather said:

I liked him as a Packers fan. He was misused in our system and sent packing (no pun intended) when he spoke out. Not really sure what happened in Cleveland, but I think he could be a great fit with Gruden and the Raiders. Definietly has talent. I hope he takes this oppurtunity seriously.

We need a rangy deep coverage safety badly. If we didn't sign him, we would have been in really bad shape. This narrows our main needs to WR and CB.

• Like 1

Just now, Shanedorf said:
from twitter

New Raiders safety Demarious Randall allowed 8 TDs in coverage last season per @sportradar, tied for 2nd most in NFL.
His 27 TDs allowed since entering league in 2015 are 2nd most to Malcolm Butler's 30

lol that's a buzzkill... 

11 hours ago, Shanedorf said:
from twitter

New Raiders safety Demarious Randall allowed 8 TDs in coverage last season per @sportradar, tied for 2nd most in NFL.
His 27 TDs allowed since entering league in 2015 are 2nd most to Malcolm Butler's 30

Alternatively,

Two years ago: 36/60 556 yards 3 TDs 4 INTs and a passer rating against of 79.6

15 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

lol that's a buzzkill... 

genuinely sorry about that...

but two teams decided they could live without his services, he was available to the other 30 and yet he languished on the FA market until April
So how much buzz was there to kill...?

His OTC valuation was $ 2M for 2019 and that's about what the Raiders will pay -  so you got a 2 dollar bill for 2 dollars
That's consistent with the 3rd wave of FA, so its not like the Raiders overpaid or anything. Good luck to Randall and the Raiders

https://overthecap.com/player/damarious-randall/3878/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

genuinely sorry about that...

but two teams decided they could live without his services, he was available to the other 30 and yet he languished on the FA market until April
So how much buzz was there to kill...?

His OTC valuation was $ 2M for 2019 and that's about what the Raiders will pay -  so you got a 2 dollar bill for 2 dollars
That's consistent with the 3rd wave of FA, so its not like the Raiders overpaid or anything. Good luck to Randall and the Raiders

https://overthecap.com/player/damarious-randall/3878/

Yea I'll take Randall every day at that price. Our secondary was getting blown up every single week last. year. (and many before that). We're not expecting him to be a shut down S, moreso make some plays once in a while and provide some stability back that. Really like this signinig.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Yea I'll take Randall every day at that price. Our secondary was getting blown up every single week last. year. (and many before that). We're not expecting him to be a shut down S, moreso make some plays once in a while and provide some stability back that. Really like this signinig.

Depends on what version you get. He runs hot and cold seemingly his whole career. He was great at times in GB but other times not so much. In Cleveland he looked deserving of a Pro Bowl selection at FS his first year but then last year I dont remember a single impactful play he made.

Seems as though he is very emotional. If he is dialed in, focused and happy then he will be good. If there is any sort of instability on the team or if the teams record goes south--then he will crumble right along with it

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

When I hear someone say that they want a player to "provide some stability back there", the image that comes to my mind is an accomplished veteran who is a true professional.  One who may have some diminished physical skills, but also possesses the intelligence needed to play in almost any scheme.  A guy that has "been there, done that" and can serve as a mentor to other younger plays.

Absolutely none of that is Randall.  In fairness to another ex-Packer safety, that is a little more of Ha Ha Clinton Dix.

You didn't overpay for Randall, he has some physical skills, but he's not a leader and he's anything but "steady".  He's got upside for days if he ever figures it out, and we thought he did in Cleveland, but ultimately he did not.