PSU AD: Two month lead time for CFB season

naptownskinsfan

An AD from a big-time school finally let through some information.  Without spring practices, a two month time period does sound about right to get these guys into game shape, especially when they've all been at home for months.  I'm really thinking we might not have a season this year, or one that's going to be extremely short. 

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/02/penn-state-ad-football-needs-60-days-to-ramp-up-before-season-can-start/

I mean that's not even taking into account the "student" (obvious farce but they have to pretend) element of if we don't hit the curve until June or, even worse, if there's a resurgence in the outbreak in late July-early August. School can't open.

I'm almost positive there will be no sports this year.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan

As a HS coach, we're trying to weigh how to get our guys in shape for the upcoming season. No one has gym access, so we've had to create body weight workouts (optional) and can have 0% contact with our players. I don't want to be a downer here, but I can't see football happening at the student athlete level grades 7-College this year...but maybe I'm wrong.

My initial thought is that, assuming things start letting up somewhere in July, you'll see a college football season start somewhere between the middle and end of September. I also believe teams will only play their conference schedule. Obviously a lot can change between then and now but the financial impacts of no college football season would be catastrophic and makes me think they'll try their damnedest to have some sort of season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scalamania said:

My initial thought is that, assuming things start letting up somewhere in July, you'll see a college football season start somewhere between the middle and end of September. I also believe teams will only play their conference schedule. Obviously a lot can change between then and now but the financial impacts of no college football season would be catastrophic and makes me think they'll try their damnedest to have some sort of season. 

Between no March madness revenue and a lost college football season, you’d definitely see some smaller athletic departments close. Especially if they go no OOC schedule where many teams make their year’s budget as a warm up game for the P5. 

44 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Between no March madness revenue and a lost college football season, you’d definitely see some smaller athletic departments close. Especially if they go no OOC schedule where many teams make their year’s budget as a warm up game for the P5. 

I don't think you are going to see them fold.  Sure, the athletic departments won't be making money, but they also won't be putting out any money if sports are cancelled.  If fall sports are cancelled, then I imagine the whole slate is cancelled next year.  

To have a full season, you pretty much need to have this contained by the beginning of July, with crowd restrictions nationwide out the window. Since it comes and goes by region on different timelines, how the NCAA will handle it will probably be based on how the worst state is doing, to eliminate disadvantages. Back by July would give you time for players to get conditioned and get back into the swing of things before camp. If things are under control by the start of August and students are allowed back on campus, I think you could be looking at a shortened season with just conference games and post-season. With the current state of things, if you gave me that deal right now I would gladly take it. I’m sure that the athletic directors will go over every scenario, to include limiting fans, etc. The tricky part is that when one major athletic director says “Our school will not participate, so the cards are on the table and there can be a ripple effect. I think this season is certainly up in the air. 

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I don't think you are going to see them fold.  Sure, the athletic departments won't be making money, but they also won't be putting out any money if sports are cancelled.  If fall sports are cancelled, then I imagine the whole slate is cancelled next year.  

Don't athletic scholarships come from ADs?