FFMD War Room

Kirill

36 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

We have Martinas Rankin coming back as well. He was good before he got hurt.

I would not be shocked if the team felt fairly comfortable with the IOL situation. 

J

I certainly hope not.   Even if they are comfortable,  Wylie, Reiter, and Remmers are all one year deals..  probably even a case for LDT only being here one more year.     None will sign away for much,  but it’s an area to improve with rookie contracts.   

Agreed 2 strictly OG’s too much though.. neither have the ability to play OT or OC.    Preferably if we draft 2 lineman,  one of them is a project OT as well. 

• Like 2

Pretty sure we ran with 10 OL on roster much of last year. Looking at who we have now, I imagine the meaningful portion of the current depth chart looks something like:

LT: Fisher
LG: Wylie, Rankin
C: Reiter, Alegretti
RG: LDT
RT: Schwartz, Remmers

I think it unlikely that Barton, Senat, or Hunter contribute anything meaningful. Remmers and Rankin can obviously pull double duty, LT/RT and LG/RG respectively. Rankin was also originally a T, so you have extra flexibilty there. I could see two OL drafted at any spot but C, just given the current roster, the current depth's versatility, and however the board falls. 7th rounder probably ends up on the PS anyway, honestly. But I'm not a draft guy, so I couldn't speak to the value of the guys taken. Just that I could see it happening if the value is there.

Tough thing with the OL is much depends on info we don't know on players we haven't seen. I think you could realistically see all 5 starting spots come up for grabs within the next 2 to 3 years, Reiter and Wylie for performance, LDT for cap hit, and Fishers and Schwartz for age/cap. So I could see Veach going very OL heavy in the draft, actually. But much depends on what they think they've seen in practice from guys like Rankin, Senat, and Alegretti.

That's basically what I am seeing, too.

With five decent players at IOL, they can go into the draft not needing another player. OT is more of a time bomb, in an excellent OT draft, but they do not need a player. As far as that goes, there are WR issues down the road, but they are set for 2020 if they need to be. 

If you look at the moves that have been made, they are positioned to BPA the whole draft.

J

12 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

That's basically what I am seeing, too.

With five decent players at IOL, they can go into the draft not needing another player. OT is more of a time bomb, in an excellent OT draft, but they do not need a player. As far as that goes, there are WR issues down the road, but they are set for 2020 if they need to be. 

If you look at the moves that have been made, they are positioned to BPA the whole draft.

J

What about ilb?

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

See comment about BPA. 

I am less convinced it's a weakness than many. It took half the season for our guys to figure things out, but by the playoffs, they were doing good work. That said, I would not mind seeing the last of Hitchen's contract.

J

Our NT play was just really good, not necessarily the LBs. took them a while, but when you got Nnadi crashing the gap, Saunders bulldozing the center backwards or Pennel blowing up the play it makes things easier for the guys back there. 

We also switched things around, Wilson went to WLB. Spags really got a good feel of how to deploy everybody on the front 7. Doesn’t mean we can’t do better in the talent department.

• 2 weeks later...