Jamal Adams

Wobbler65

36 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I still have faith that after draft weekend we can pick up another CB/DE if we need. That will allow us to have probably 3 good comp picks and ~5ish total. Imagine what we could do next year with ~12+ draft picks!

Yeah we could draft a bunch of guys that dont make the team.

2 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

1 out of 25 comp picks have been a good player, and you guys act like no biggie losing Quinn, we got that sweet 4th rounder, that's really a 5th , coming to us.  

The vast majority of our comp picks have been 6/7th rounders. We are talking about getting 3rd/4th rounders next year. Thats a huge difference. Weve hit on plenty of 3rd/4th round picks of the years. Sure, not all of them are Dak/Witten/Gallup; but many of them have been solid considering their draft spot. 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Or consolidate those picks into players that will make the team.... 

I wish they would.  I know you need a partner to dance, but I'd rather see a multiple picks in 2, 3, or 4 than draft players that amount to nothing, or are never given a chance because of where they were drafted.

1 minute ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

I wish they would.  I know you need a partner to dance, but I'd rather see a multiple picks in 2, 3, or 4 than draft players that amount to nothing, or are never given a chance because of where they were drafted.

How did we get Quinn and Bennett last year? You would agree they contributed, correct? 

Having more draft picks is always a good thing. 

12 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Well obviously someone did cause they let him go to Chicago.

Deciding not to match a 5-year $70M contract on a 30 year old player does not equal "wanting to lose him". 

Decisions are complex. There's a cost and a benefit to everything, and the cost outweighed the benefit from the Cowboy's perspective. It's not just his big salary. It's not just his age. It's not just that we get a comp pick. It's not just that this is a pretty good class for edge rushers. It's not just that we preferred to sign other players.

It's a combination of all those factors, and more. 

The Cowboys made a decision not to match the money other teams were offering. At that money, I'm inclined to agree with the decision to let him go. That's not "Whoohoo! 4th round comp draft pick!"

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Deciding not to match a 5-year $70M contract on a 30 year old player does not equal "wanting to lose him". 

Decisions are complex. There's a cost and a benefit to everything, and the cost outweighed the benefit from the Cowboy's perspective. It's not just his big salary. It's not just his age. It's not just that we get a comp pick. It's not just that this is a pretty good class for edge rushers. It's not just that we preferred to sign other players.

It's a combination of all those factors, and more. 

The Cowboys made a decision not to match the money other teams were offering. At that money, I'm inclined to agree with the decision to let him go. That's not "Whoohoo! 4th round comp draft pick!"

Oh like Aldon Smith? That splash play in FA? Who in this "pretty good class" are we looking at in the draft to replace him? Weaver? Cause that's really the only Top 2 round DE prospect we've looked at as far as I know. All signs point to a DB or DT at 17.

Just so you know the Bears contract for Robert Quinn has an out after two years much like Amari's contract. If he was going down we could have gotten rid of him with little downside. Are you telling me you wouldn't take that contract given Quinn's recent success and our lack of options at the position? Are you somehow telling me this FO that has no problem handing out contracts to WR's that only play half the games their supposed to couldn't get this done or decided not to in order to have a fail safe if worse comes to worse?

That Bears contract which is so favorable to the team with lots of incentives and a nice fail safe written in, I think any FO and any fan would be happy with that. It's a win win for the organization in terms of risk vs reward and you're saying we just didn't want to take the risk? I'm not believing that.

I know you and T_O7 say not to panic and just wait for FA to play out but pretty much all the great players are off the board, and with us still having not filled the position and the unbelievably favorable contract he just signed with the Bears. I think someone wanted to let him go. Not to mention we're still holding on to a vastly over paid DL that has never gotten more then 6 sacks during a season that if we could would have freed up quite a bit of money to weather the blow of resigning a 29 year old still in his prime DE that we could still let go of at 31 if it didn't work out.

3 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Oh like Aldon Smith? That splash play in FA? Who in this "pretty good class" are we looking at in the draft to replace him? Weaver? Cause that's really the only Top 2 round DE prospect we've looked at as far as I know. All signs point to a DB or DT at 17.

My point was that there are a multitude of reasons the Cowboys didn't decide to sign Quinn at that price. Decisions get made by weighing lots of different factors. It's not just because we are getting a 4th round comp pick for him. I do not know how the Cowboys brass themselves weighed any one individual factor.

6 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Just so you know the Bears contract for Robert Quinn has an out after two years much like Amari's contract. If he was going down we could have gotten rid of him with little downside. Are you telling me you wouldn't take that contract given Quinn's recent success and our lack of options at the position? Are you somehow telling me this FO that has no problem handing out contracts to WR's that only play half the games their supposed to couldn't get this done or decided not to in order to have a fail safe if worse comes to worse?

I'm telling you they decided Amari was worth it and Quinn was not by weighing a lot of different factors, not whether or not the decision was right.

18 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I think someone wanted to let him go. 

I mean, none of the reporting has backed that up. Like, we wouldn't have even signed him for a vet minimum salary? 

16 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I know you and T_O7 say not to panic

A good life lesson is that panic is rarely productive and almost never worthwhile in the long run.

1 minute ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

My point was that there are a multitude of reasons the Cowboys didn't decide to sign Quinn at that price. Decisions get made by weighing lots of different factors. It's not just because we are getting a 4th round comp pick for him. I do not know how the Cowboys brass themselves weighed any one individual factor.

I'm telling you they decided Amari was worth it and Quinn was not by weighing a lot of different factors, not whether or not the decision was right.

I mean, none of the reporting has backed that up. Like, we wouldn't have even signed him for a vet minimum salary? 

A good life lesson is that panic is rarely productive and almost never worthwhile in the long run.

Now you're grasping straws. Fact is they decided to let him go. They WANTED to move on, much like with Byron cause we heard nothing of renegotiations nothing of extensions, or anything of the sort.

If they WANTED him here then it would have showed up in rumors, reports, something. Everything pointed to them not even attempting to renegotiate with him. 

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

Now you're grasping straws. Fact is they decided to let him go. They WANTED to move on, much like with Byron cause we heard nothing of renegotiations nothing of extensions, or anything of the sort.

If they WANTED him here then it would have showed up in rumors, reports, something. Everything pointed to them not even attempting to renegotiate with him. 

I've tried to stick to my main point from the beginning, that there is a cost-benefit analysis associated with every decision. For the Cowboys, the cost outweighed the benefit from their perspective on Quinn. That's entirely different than being excited to lose a player because it will net us a 4th round comp pick.

2 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I've tried to stick to my main point from the beginning, that there is a cost-benefit analysis associated with every decision. For the Cowboys, the cost outweighed the benefit from their perspective on Quinn. That's entirely different than being excited to lose a player because it will net us a 4th round comp pick.

If you read his posts @SweetFancyMoses wasn't at all excited about getting a 4th round comp.