Robert Quinn - OLB?

StLunatic88

Now I know we are only 3 games into this transition. And in no way am I saying we have to move on from him, but this was a question going into the season, and I dont think it will be going away anytime this season.

Just so we are aware this is where Quinn's contract stands going forward

• 2 years remaining - $25.4 million ($1 million guaranteed)
    • 2018 - $12.4 million ($1m guaranteed/ $1.1 million Roster Bonus due 3rd day of the League Year)
    • 2019 - $13 million (Nothing guaranteed/ $1.1 million Roster Bonus due 3rd day of the League Year)

This is just to point out, we are not financially tied to Quinn any longer after this season. And I had my questions about him as a stand up LB when we got Phillips in here. Even if he isnt cut/traded before his Roster bonus, its only $2m that would count against our Cap next season.

So all of this to say, what do you think about his performance as an OLB in this defensive scheme so far? And we can continue you to monitor his effectiveness.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if next year we have an entirely new LB corp. Quinn just isn't worth the money any more and seems to be a one trick pony on pass rush. Wade loves Barwin but he isn't producing. Then our two ilb both really struggle against the run. It's a big change for an off season but I think it's a possibility.

9 minutes ago, S-jax39 said:

Im not worried just yet. Missed preseason, new scheme, and he has went up against Trent williams and Joe staley. Now if he is sackless against the seahawks we can start to worry..

Yeah he always seems to light the Seahawks up.

I've always loved Quinn but he's definitely not producing what he's being paid for. I think the biggest thing with him is how much time he misses with injuries. As NVRamsFan said above, the whole LB corp isn't looking too sharp right now. On the other hand, for only being a three man front, those guys are playing pretty well--not even just AD.

Back to Quinn, I think he'd have to have a really poor season for them to part ways with him in the offseason. He's a talented guy and I expect him to pick things up as long as he can stay healthy (fingers crossed).

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if next year we have an entirely new LB corp. Quinn just isn't worth the money any more and seems to be a one trick pony on pass rush. Wade loves Barwin but he isn't producing. Then our two ilb both really struggle against the run. It's a big change for an off season but I think it's a possibility.

I actually agree with you that we possibly will have 4 new starters. BUT I think 2 of those guys are probably already on the roster. I also think that as long as he is an NFL player, Wade will want Barwin on this roster. He isnt producing like he should, but I think he may be back next year as a rotational/backup/veteran LB.

1 hour ago, S-jax39 said:

Im not worried just yet. Missed preseason, new scheme, and he has went up against Trent williams and Joe staley. Now if he is sackless against the seahawks we can start to worry..

Its not just about Sacks, we let that go in the previous defenses, because we had a really good all around D so his deficiencies were masked a bit. But if Quinn is just a sack artist, thats not going to fly in this defense. He is still extremely talented, but he has to be doing all of the fundamental things right as well.

52 minutes ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

Back to Quinn, I think he'd have to have a really poor season for them to part ways with him in the offseason. He's a talented guy and I expect him to pick things up as long as he can stay healthy (fingers crossed).

To straight up cut him? Yea, no he would need to completely bomb out. BUT if he just isnt a fit with this defense, he is still so talented, I wouldnt hate it if we traded him in the offseason. Think about that, a 27 y/o Edge Rusher with 20 sack upside for $10 and $13 million for the next two seasons, which could get a decent return and not completely wreck us in the Cap situation.

14 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I actually agree with you that we possibly will have 4 new starters. BUT I think 2 of those guys are probably already on the roster. I also think that as long as he is an NFL player, Wade will want Barwin on this roster. He isnt producing like he should, but I think he may be back next year as a rotational/backup/veteran LB.

Its not just about Sacks, we let that go in the previous defenses, because we had a really good all around D so his deficiencies were masked a bit. But if Quinn is just a sack artist, thats not going to fly in this defense. He is still extremely talented, but he has to be doing all of the fundamental things right as well.

To straight up cut him? Yea, no he would need to completely bomb out. BUT if he just isnt a fit with this defense, he is still so talented, I wouldnt hate it if we traded him in the offseason. Think about that, a 27 y/o Edge Rusher with 20 sack upside for $10 and $13 million for the next two seasons, which could get a decent return and not completely wreck us in the Cap situation.

Is that the kind of player you can typically get at least a 3rd, maybe even a 2nd out of the Pats in exchange for?

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Is that the kind of player you can typically get at least a 3rd, maybe even a 2nd out of the Pats in exchange for?

Yea, not sure if it would be the Pats, as they dont have a ton of Cap Space for 2018. But I was just looking for teams that may potentially be a fit. Scheme, Cap Space, Need, and Contenders. The first ones that seem obvious are Tampa, Oakland, Dallas, Detroit and Im sure there are others.

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Absolutely agree, those late round picks on defense are Wades choices. Westbrook looks very good at DE in place of Easley. Longacre has been solid at OLB when he's been in the game. Ebukam and Littleton also have provided some good depth at LB. Personally I'd love to see us pick up a thumper ILB in the draft and clean out some salary that we can use to extend AD, resign Sammy and Joyner along with a couple others.

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I hate to say it, but Quinn doesn't look like the player he used to be. I want to see Samson Ebukam get more PT. He's looked good.

I think we're all excited for Ebukam to progressively get more playing time. Dude is an athletic phenom. I think by year's end, he becomes starter quality to at least take over for Barwin leaving after the one year deal 

On 9/22/2017 at 6:56 PM, jrry32 said:

I hate to say it, but Quinn doesn't look like the player he used to be. I want to see Samson Ebukam get more PT. He's looked good.

Thats mostly what I was getting at. He clearly isnt the same Bob Quinn from 2013/14. But My question would be is it because he is a diminished talent now, or does he just not fitting in with this defensive scheme.

As for next years LBs, I think its pretty evident they plan to count on Ebukam and Price as half of our starters. As I said before, I think we keep Barwin around as long as he is an NFL caliber guy. Adding another Vet with 34 experience would be ideal (a Posluszny type if he is till NFL caliber going into next season) and then continue to draft some guys to fill out the depth.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, RamRod said:

Probably nothing to this. I'd take a 2nd rounder for Quinn in a heart beat though.

I would be ecstatic with getting the Niners 2nd for Quinn, thats a guaranteed Top 40 Pick!

But I dont know if we would move him right now. As much as he isnt a fit for this defense he has been fine and we are winning. Plus Im not even sure the Pats have the Cap room to take on Quinn right now.

Archived