Chiefs Restructure Sammy Watkins

HolmesPriest

Worth It?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Worth It?

• Yes
    • No
    • OMG WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?!

For my opinion I think it is worth it. Keeping these guys together especially with the unknowns of the off-season could bode well for them. All the receivers know most of the playbook, so a lot less learning curve in case training camp and activities get shortened up. 

Edited by HolmesPriest
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, HolmesPriest said:

A good amount of people had said he never lived up to his potential. Plus his contract cost a lot of money, but now it costs less.

He's never come close to living up to his potential. He's had one season with barely over a thousand yards receiving. For a 4th overall pick his career has been underwhelming to say the least. 

• Like 1

I have to question whether he would've seen this same type of money on the open market had the Chiefs just cut him and renegotiated from there considering how cold the WR market has been. With that said it's slightly less money than Robby Anderson so arguably worth it to maintain that continuity. 

KC and Watkins must have looked at the Raiders CB's and thought cha CHING!!!  LOL Now we need to draft 2 CB's for Sin City. KC making a push before paying the man.

I think it's a good move for both player and team. WR market dried up like a prune and this gives him a good chunk of money in uncertain times. Gives the team some cap space with lots of name FA's still out there. I'd assume KC is SB favs because of not only being good but being stable with so many players switching teams/systems. Well as a Raider fan I hope Pat get 50 million per. :P

13 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I have to question whether he would've seen this same type of money on the open market had the Chiefs just cut him and renegotiated from there considering how cold the WR market has been. With that said it's slightly less money than Robby Anderson so arguably worth it to maintain that continuity. 

If the chiefs had cut him it’s a 14 million dollar cap hit 

19 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Ah. Jeez what leverage did KC have to get him to agree to this? 

From the article:

Watkins agreed to a new one-year contract that includes $7 million in base salary, a $1 million signing bonus and $1 million in per-game roster bonuses with an additional $7 million in incentives that could get the deal to $16 million, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported, per sources informed of the deal. The new contract also includes a no-trade clause, per Rapoport and Garafolo.

Terez Paylor of Yahoo Sports first reported the news.

The pay cut keeps Watkins in K.C. while adding a much needed $5 million in salary-cap space for a Chiefs team that was pressed as tight against the cap as possible ahead of the draft.

Set to make $13.75 million in base salary -- none of which was guaranteed -- with a $21 million cap figure (highest on the team), there was no chance the Chiefs were entering the 2020 season with Watkins on the same deal.

So leverage would be:

1) They could have outright cut him and receiver market has been cold - he might be better staying in KC and making another run at better production

2) He could actually make more this year if he hits the incentives in the deal

• Like 1