Burrow vs Lamar vs Mayfield: who would you take as a GM?

wackywabbit

Which QB would you take right now?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Top choice

• Joe Burrow
    • Lamar Jackson
    • Baker Mayfield
    • Mason Rudolph

19 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Unless you're suddenly going to decide that QB's like Kaepernick and Wilson aren't "running" QB's

Wilson is one of the best passers in football. That definitely can’t be said about Lamar. I get what you’re trying to say but that’s hardly an apt comparison.

16 hours ago, DawgX said:

Wilson doesn't need to rely on his legs as much as Lamar does, as he's a far better passer than Lamar. Again, bad comparison.

49 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Wilson is one of the best passers in football. That definitely can’t be said about Lamar. I get what you’re trying to say but that’s hardly an apt comparison.

Hence why I mentioned in 2013, not right now. In 2013 Wilson wasn't as good of a pocket passer as he is now. Yes, at that point in time he was still better than Lamar is right now but he was definitely what you would call a "running QB" at that time.

• Like 1

Baker mayfield is trash. He had great talent around him and still sucked.

Lamar jackson is the top guy right now.

Joe burrow had 1 mediocre college season,  then turned into a phenom the next, let's see how he does as a Bengal. 58% 16 td 5 ints first season though,  not good.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

In 2013 Wilson wasn't as good of a pocket passer as he is now.

Fair.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

he was definitely what you would call a "running QB" at that time.

I would disagree with that, even then. Wilson was a pass first QB since his rookie year. He just happened to be exceptionally mobile as well.

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Hence why I mentioned in 2013, not right now. In 2013 Wilson wasn't as good of a pocket passer as he is now. Yes, at that point in time he was still better than Lamar is right now but he was definitely what you would call a "running QB" at that time.

Yeah I feel like a lot of the really dumb things people used to say about Russ have been memory-holed that there's a new crop of mobile QB's to fixate on instead. Around 2013/14 he was accused all the time of just being a game manager and lots of arguments in the Luck/Wilson debates were made around Luck being superior because Russ was a mobile QB who relies on his legs or whatever as opposed to being a classic pocket passer like Luck. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Fair.

I would disagree with that, even then. Wilson was a pass first QB since his rookie year. He just happened to be exceptionally mobile as well.

This is revisionist history, to be honest. For his first like 3-4 seasons he was notoriously criticized here for scrambling too much out of the pocket and taking too many sacks as a result. Being a "pass first" QB doesn't also mean you're not a running QB unless, like I mentioned earlier, we're somehow changing the definition of a running QB now?

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 9:30 AM, Aussie9er said:

Running qbs just dont win in playoffs until they do i choose burrow cause the other two are rubbish. 

I mean... Cam Newton got to the Super Bowl. Colin Kaepernick got to the Super Bowl. Russell Wilson won a Super Bowl early in his career when he was primarily a running QB. Mahomes won in the playoffs this year by taking advantage of matchups with his legs. He turned into a running QB during the playoffs.

Out of the four most recent top running QBs (Kaep, Newton, Wilson, Jackson), there are four combined super bowl appearances and a ring. The non-Tom Brady pocket-passing QBs have had similar success. There are just more non-running QBs than running QBs, so of course there will be more of those types of QBs winning games. 

That's literally like saying "Lamar Jackson wasn't that good this past year because he's a running QB. He only won 14 games and the pocket passing QBs won more combined games." 

Look. I'm not sure that being a running QB is sustainable long-term, so I think that can play into things. RGIII, Kaep, and Cam didn't evolve their game so they had very short primes. Russ had that MCL injury, lost mobility short-term, and had to adapt. He did, and he did so marvelously. But he hasn't made the Super Bowl since he's been a great passer. He made it two times in a row when he was one of the league's best rushers, though.

The numbers are skewed due to sample size, but so far, it seems like you are MUCH more likely to make the Super Bowl with a running QB in their prime than a pocket passer. 

In reality, I think it's about how you build your team. It's a lot harder for any defense, including a playoff defense, to have the added pressure of a QB running and it can help cover flaws in a team's offense. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This is revisionist history, to be honest. For his first like 3-4 seasons he was notoriously criticized here for scrambling too much out of the pocket and taking too many sacks as a result. Being a "pass first" QB doesn't also mean you're not a running QB unless, like I mentioned earlier, we're somehow changing the definition of a running QB now?

Lesser quarterbacks with sub-par mobility have had that criticism as well. That’s not a “running QB” exclusive. 

You guys are probably having a semantics debate at this point. Does a “running QB” qualify as anyone who can move, like Wilson/Watson? Or a player that relies on their legs as much as their arm, like Lamar/Cam? I always figured the latter, but it’s semantics.

• Like 2