Crazy Media ideas thread.

cconocool

I had an interesting nightmare which I thought would make for a psychological horror story outline. Or at least, some of the elements.
A student attends a college two hours away from home. Every weekend the student calls their parents on the phone to relay the week's events. This past week, one before break, the student is unable to reach them. A bit worried, the student realizes a semester break is just around the corner, and a simple mishaps must have occurred. 
Arriving at home around evening, no house light is visible through the windows. A bit perturbed, the tired student sits in the driveway pondering the situation. As the fatigued student approaches the front entryway, a light flashes in the upstairs window. Exhausted from the long drive and a full plate of mid-term exams, the student attributes the brief flash to a hallucination due to wornout mental faculties. 
The entire first floor is darkened with the only illumination provided by the late evening through the windows. Now clearly frightened, the student attempts to turn the nearest light switch, but that proves futile. A quick look over, and it becomes apparent that every light fixture in the house had its bulb removed.
Sounds of footsteps echo down the stairway drawing the student's attention upwards to the rooms above. Slowly the student heads up the stairs, hesitant to call out with the lack of light and a crisp fear of an intruder rummaging throughout the upper level.
No creaks give away the student's position as they know the stairway's weak points from an active childhood filled with games like hide and go seek. Still nervous, but worried, the student decides to venture a call. Some shuffling becomes audible towards the farthest room, where the light was visible from the driveway of the house. Now entirely awake, but exhausted the students quietly and carefully maneuvers down the long familiar hallway. More shuffling is audible as the student draws near the wood door. 
Slowly the student places their hand on the cold handle, and with a slow and careful twist, they open the door. The backroom, which served previously as a bedroom, and now functions as a storage area with various plastic tubs containing assortments of holiday decorations, becomes visible in the late evening light. 
Hunkered shivering among the items, the student's parents become visible. Understandably distraught at seeing ones parents in such a shambled state, the student ventures a basic greeting then manages a what exactly is happening. The parents look like they hadn't slept for a week and a peculiar pallor covers their normally healthly active skin. Barely coherent, the parents' fatigue is evident as they relay the week's events. Apparently a certain type of monster (I need a good idea here as the original nightmare monster was terrible/laughable outside of the dream realm) had taken up residence on the main floor. The student recalls observing various tables and chairs knocked over and large unnatural and unrecognized gauges along the walls. Humoring the parents in their bizarre story, the student inquires as to why no authorities were called. They weren't able and handing over a landline telephone. The first thing the student notices about the bedraggled old phone was the entire plate representing the number 9 had been scratched out with the old styled circuitry protruding off the edge. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had another nightmare which I thought would make for great short story material. 
The last night janitor bids a tired greeting to the hunched night security as he leaves the school entryway. A bit woozy from the afternoon of light drink, the security guard murmurs a farewell, thankful the custodian doesn't pause to chat. After taking a quick glance to ensure the janitor left, he heads straight for the supply closet, where an unused cabinet stashes away a small assortment of booze. Before grabbing a half empty bottle, a thought enters his mind. He grabs a small security camera and heads out towards the back entryway. A strong moonlight illuminates the small cemetery chain linked off from the back playground. What type of city planner would place a cemetery next to a elementary school, he ponders. In a rush to get back to his libations, the guard half attentive half inebriated places the camera, so that the camera faces a closed classroom door rather than the windowed doors. 
A drink or two later, the drunken guard sprawls across the supply floor. The unmistakable sound of a doorlatch clicking enters through the speakers on his cellphone. A bit distraught, he observes the black numbers indicating the time to be a hair past midnight. The video feed, received from the small camera in the hallway, indicates the classroom doorway opening slightly then allowing the entrance of someone or something small in the back classroom. Jolted sober, he ponders his options. Such a state of inebriation would limit them severely. Steeling his resolve, he exits the small supply area and heads towards the back 1st grade classroom section. Even evident from the back of the long hallway and the limited moonlight glowing through the back windowed entry, it is apparent the classroom doorway nearest the cemetery has been breached. 
Reminding himself he is a security guard, he stumbles down the hallway, past the lineups of coats hooks and pieces of various child art towards the open doorway. As he fully opens the door, he immediately feels for the cold steel light switch plate. Finding it, he flips the switch, and at the speed of light, the room illuminates. Shielding his eyes with his hands, not accustomed to the bright light nor in much of a mood for it, due to his drinking bout, he draws a relaxed breath and realizes nothing is amiss among the small desks and chairs. Realizing the safety of the situation, he bravery grows and he attempts a more thorough investigation. Nothing unusual. Grey blotches cover the blackboard, indicating the day's usage and cleaning. No debris in the dark carpeted section along the forefront of the room. A uniform pattern of vacuum lines indicate the custodian had done a diligent job. Relaxed and satisfied, the guard heads back towards the doorway, his hand towards the switch and door handle. A quick flip and the room darkens, illuminating some glow in the dark chalk drawings assorted in various areas of the classroom. Pausing, he opens the door fully once again to investigate. 
Unobservable with the light on, the glow in the dark drawings depict various macabre scenes, scenes no child would be able to nor should ever witness. 

• 3 weeks later...

A funny Titanic like spin-off.

An elderly lady would be recounting days from her youth to one of the nurses. But you make the scenario insane. "I'm telling you, it was Brad Pitt. We spent long nights together #@#@#." "But Mam, Brad Pitt was born in xxxx." " I'M TELLING YOU, IT WAS BRAD PITT ON THAT ALIEN JACUZZI." 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought this would make for a hilarious tick-tock video.

Cue the Ric Flair entrance music. Have short shots of a person's hair, walk, etc, but not the face.

End music, a nerdy obese middle aged guy recites a Ric Flair promo verbatim. Give him a nerdy voice and off timing (no would be able to replicate Flair's anyway, but exaggerate it).

• 3 weeks later...

A show about a time machine that somehow falls into the hands of a Hollywood studio. The studio execs decide to use it to make a reality show where every week one lucky contest winner will have a chance to use the time machine to visit either a particular moment in history, or interact with a deceased loved one. They try to put strict controls on their winners so nothing they do in the past can affect the present in any way. But despite their efforts things around them start changing in ways that are subtle at first, but become exponentially more chaotic the longer the show runs, and as this happens the show gradually changes genres from sci-fi comedy to full-bore psychological horror. 

• 2 weeks later...

The joke would fit better in a bigger show around a retail store.

I was watching an older (30 years) coworker browse the schedules. I was thinking, "Why are you checking the cashier schedule? You work the floor." Then it dawned on me, because I have done the same thing before.

Five minutes later I asked him, "So does blank (female 60 year old cashier) work today?" "Yep."

I thought it was pretty funny, but it would work better in the confines of a show. 

• 2 months later...

I have been watching some media which takes place in the 1980s and realized that era is an ideal time period for horror type stories. A recent idea which would be ideal for this period. The entire US is proud after its space exploration program displayed its prowess 2 decades earlier, and every young American dreams of becoming an astronaut. Young people research the astronauts’ lives in schools and vow to emulate their lifestyles. But nobody brings up the question as to why the program hasn’t sent anybody else into orbit in the last 20 years.

One teen is quite enchanted with the space program and details an American astronaut’s biography scrounging for as much background as they can. The teen extends past a preliminary article search and notices the residental complex, where the astronaut spent his last years, had its name changed.

Further queries prove the building hadn’t always housed celebrities of years past, instead it served as an asylum. Further research shows a bizarre string of gruesome murders in the vicinity of the astronaut’s location. Although the hero was never suspected, the amount of evidence gathered should have incarcerated the national hero. Something about space travel unhinged his mind…

I was not which antagonist I should use in this backdrop. A mental illness pervades the teen’s sanity or a government group attempts to cover up the national hero’s history.

Edited by cconocool
Mistakes in writing.

• 1 month later...

Another skit involving Ryan and me today.

I like annoying Ryan as he drives out of the parking lot, stopping in his path as he attempts to return home. Today I walked towards his truck to irritate him and he reprimanded me. "Tony, don't play around like that. I got hit by a car." "Did the car get damaged?"

Edited by cconocool
Spelling mistake.