Making Moves Mock Edited

rampantjet

So.... pretty bored.   Been thinking about JD moving around the board on draft day.  In this scenario the Jets don't make any more big signings or and trades pre draft which seems the most likely scenario.

FA:  

Prince Amukamara CB-  I think we make one more mid level signing and I think locking down another CB spot with a vet for Gregg Williams would be very helpful.  

Draft:

Jets trade back to #21 with the Eagles.  The Eagles move up to take Ruggs, which makes me a bit sad since i love me some Ruggs, but i can't be mad about getting extra picks.  Jets send #11 and receive #21, #53.  We take a touch below trade chart value because we prefer the extra pick.  

#21:  Josh Jones OT-  We move back and still pick up a premium OT.  There are some critiques about his technique but i take that as a positive.  Kid had the best pass blocking grade in college last year despite those technical deficiencies.  Clean up those and how good could he be?

#48:  Brandon Aiyuk WR-  Love this kid.  Plays way faster than his timed speed, can jump out of the gym with a 42" vert, and most importantly is a great YAC guy.  Needs to develop some of his route running but I think that'll come.

#53:  Donovan Peoples Jones WR-  I get it he has some question marks.  His production leaves a lot to be desired, but you just don't see guys with these physical gifts around outside of the 1st.  He was the top WR recruit coming out of HS, and just never seemed to get utilized enough at Michigan.  Add in his usage with fairly horrible QB play and you have a potential reason why he didn't light it up.  Though he ran good 40 for his size (6'2 212) and had the 2nd highest vert and 3rd farthest broad jump in the history of the combine....... he is also a good returner and good with the ball in his hands.   

#68:  Josh Uche EDGE-  We take a much better swing at solving edge in this years 3rd round than we did in last years.  A bit under sized but has a ton of pass rush moves, and some juice to get around the edge.  Can also do some off ball LB stuff.  

#79:  Troy Pride Jr CB-  Kid is super scrappy, has all of the athleticism you could ask for and can play man or zone.  Score.  

#120:  Anthony McFarland RB-  Kid can move, and fits Gase's one cut zone scheme perfectly.  Find the hole plant his foot and crank up the speed.  He can take it to the house at any time.  

Jets trade #158, and #211 to the Seahawks to move up to #144 getting us back into the tale end of the 4th.  The Seahawks are always looking to add more picks.  

#144:  Ben Bredeson OG-  I really like this kid.  I have no idea why he isn't being talked about in the 2nd or 3rd round.  He has a strong anchor, can pull pretty well considering his size, and the thing i like most about him is that he always has his head on a swivel looking to find work.  How many times have we seen Jets blockers end up with no one to block and not looking around as the QB is getting killed.  Not this kid, I've seen him not have a man initial and look around and end up laying out an edge rusher coming in from the opposite side of the field.  Love it.  Gives us a guy to throw into the OG competition, and i think he wins 1 of the spots sooner rather than later. 

#191:  Isaiah Coulter WR-  Super under rated kid out of Rhode Island.  6'2 ran a 4.45 at the combine, and his speed shows up on the field.  Has the ability to be a developmental guy.  

Ok made some edits here after the feedback.  Bredeson is the guy that made me feel better about waiting on more OL.  I like him almost as much as Jackson so getting him 2 rounds later makes it a nice trade off.  

Edited by rampantjet
  • Like 1

Not enough done at WR for me and I like Aiyuk. Just we need at least 2 good WRs early this year IMO. If a 1st isn’t used than a 2nd has to be used and 1 of the 3rds for sure as well.

I see the vision of this mock and don’t “dislike” it. It’s just as I said weak at WR

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Not enough done at WR for me and I like Aiyuk. Just we need at least 2 good WRs early this year IMO. If a 1st isn’t used than a 2nd has to be used and 1 of the 3rds for sure as well.

I see the vision of this mock and don’t “dislike” it. It’s just as I said weak at WR

I get it but I think you're underselling Cephus.  Kid had almost 1k yards at Wisconsin who barely ever throws.   He's only there for us because of his combine.  I think he's as good as summer of the guys in the 3rd or 4th right now.   Throw in a flyer on Coulter and we have several shots at a guy developing. 

I guess I could have gone WR in the 4th instead of McFarland but he'd be the home run threat we really need out of the backfield. 

Who that I took in the 3rd or 4th would you remove and who would you replace them with?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I get it but I think you're underselling Cephus.  Kid had almost 1k yards at Wisconsin who barely ever throws.   He's only there for us because of his combine.  I think he's as good as summer of the guys in the 3rd or 4th right now.   Throw in a flyer on Coulter and we have several shots at a guy developing. 

I guess I could have gone WR in the 4th instead of McFarland but he'd be the home run threat we really need out of the backfield. 

Who that I took in the 3rd or 4th would you remove and who would you replace them with?

Didn’t he also sit out a year on a potential domestic violence that charges got dropped on? So there might be character issues there as well. But take that away and I don’t see him purely on skill among 3rd round guys. To each their own. I have guys I like that others don’t. 

9 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I like it a lot but I wouldn’t go OG with the 2nd I’d double dip at WR. If we don’t go WR in the 1st and did manage to trade down to get an extra 2nd then I’d want two receivers. 

Higgins/Mimms then Aiyuk would give us the best of both worlds. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Agreed. More was done this offseason for the OL than WR where we added just Perriman and lost a starting WR.

The OL we spent $30 mil on a LT who is going to start for better or worse.  And we spent money on signing 4 interior linemen. 

If we don't address WR Darnold is going to have the worst WRs in football. 

12 hours ago, xenajets said:

I like it a lot but I wouldn’t go OG with the 2nd I’d double dip at WR. If we don’t go WR in the 1st and did manage to trade down to get an extra 2nd then I’d want two receivers. 

Higgins/Mimms then Aiyuk would give us the best of both worlds. 

I would go crazy with joy if we could land Higgins in the 2nd. I think he’s a top 4 receiver in this class that might have 20-25 receivers starting within the next couple of years.
As to this draft, I really like it. I have Aiyuk as a top 10 receiver and both Cepheus andCoulter in that group of 20-25. if push came to shove, I would probably rather have Jones and another 2nd over Becton and Willis. I’d prefer Muti at OG but Jackson is a solid choice. I think Uche will at least be a good situational pass rusher  Alex Taylor is an interesting prospect.At 6’9” he’d be one of the tallest players ever in the NFL. I would guess his ceiling would be more  King Dunlop than Jonathan Ogden but still a great 6th round pick, IMO.

Yeah @Rich51 I agree. 

I think we are so blessed that this year has such a stacked wide receiving class. The best thing about it is the fact we have different types of wide receivers. Outside of the top 3 guys you have the:

All rounders: J.Jefferson, Shenualt jr, Aiuyk, Edwards, DPJ, AGG

Speed guys: Highins, Mims, Reagor,Claypool

Possession: V.Jefferson, Pittman, T.Johnson, C.Johnson

Shifty/YAC: Hamlet, Bowden, Duverney

Obviously I’m forgetting other names too but this draft is so good it’s a joke. Ideally if we don’t get a receiver in round 1 then I would be happy going receiver in rounds 2, 3 and 4. Probably get three guys all doing different things.

I’m leaning more towards that option as it may be more beneficial for Sam to have multiple guys who all bring unique skill sets than just 1 superstar like JJ, Lamb or Ruggs. 

6 hours ago, Rich51 said:

I would go crazy with joy if we could land Higgins in the 2nd. I think he’s a top 4 receiver in this class that might have 20-25 receivers starting within the next couple of years.
As to this draft, I really like it. I have Aiyuk as a top 10 receiver and both Cepheus andCoulter in that group of 20-25. if push came to shove, I would probably rather have Jones and another 2nd over Becton and Willis. I’d prefer Muti at OG but Jackson is a solid choice. I think Uche will at least be a good situational pass rusher  Alex Taylor is an interesting prospect.At 6’9” he’d be one of the tallest players ever in the NFL. I would guess his ceiling would be more  King Dunlop than Jonathan Ogden but still a great 6th round pick, IMO.

I want nothing to do with Muti, he could be Quentin Nelson,  doesn't matter if you can't stay on the field 3 season ending injuries in a row and he's only played 3 games each of the last 2 years.   No thanks. 

Edited by rampantjet

3 hours ago, xenajets said:

Yeah @Rich51 I agree. 

I think we are so blessed that this year has such a stacked wide receiving class. The best thing about it is the fact we have different types of wide receivers. Outside of the top 3 guys you have the:

All rounders: J.Jefferson, Shenualt jr, Aiuyk, Edwards, DPJ, AGG

Speed guys: Highins, Mims, Reagor,Claypool

Possession: V.Jefferson, Pittman, T.Johnson, C.Johnson

Shifty/YAC: Hamlet, Bowden, Duverney

Obviously I’m forgetting other names too but this draft is so good it’s a joke. Ideally if we don’t get a receiver in round 1 then I would be happy going receiver in rounds 2, 3 and 4. Probably get three guys all doing different things.

I’m leaning more towards that option as it may be more beneficial for Sam to have multiple guys who all bring unique skill sets than just 1 superstar like JJ, Lamb or Ruggs. 

Besides the 20 you named I would add Cepheus, Coulter, Hightower, Hill and Gibson as possible starters or at least key contributors. Of course, for some of them it will depend on who drafts them and who are ahead of them on the teams depth chart, but for us, imo all of them could be day one starters

I like this.

I agree about the mid level free agents. Amukamara would be a good locker room guy as well. He fits our team on so many level. I’d like us to sign Vinny Curry too.

In terms of the draft , I think the Philly trade back is realistic. I think they will want to come up for a WR since a run WR might happen in the teens. 21 and 53 looks fine to me. If we can get a 2021 day 3 pick even better.

I like your first two picks. I need to check out Jonah Jackson. If he’s as good as you think, then our OL is rock solid. Crowder, Aiyuk, Herndon, Bell and Perriman is not great but not awful but but it has potential especially if we have an above average OL.

Thumbs Up from me.

Edited by SDotNova

I don't like the trade at all. Dropping 10 spots for pick 53 is not good. We will miss out on so great players to pick up a pick that we suck at drafting in the second round. If I'm trading with the eagles it will be next years first before I drop 10 spots. If Eagles want it It would be next years first 21 and either this years 3rd or next years 3 and 4th, 

27 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't like the trade at all. Dropping 10 spots for pick 53 is not good. We will miss out on so great players to pick up a pick that we suck at drafting in the second round. If I'm trading with the eagles it will be next years first before I drop 10 spots. If Eagles want it It would be next years first 21 and either this years 3rd or next years 3 and 4th, 

The "we suck at drafting in the 2nd round" narrative is really dumb.   We don't even have the same front office or GM.  Devaluing a 2nd round pick because guys who aren't there anymore made some bad picks isn't how you run a team. 

• Like 1