Have you ever flirted with being a fan of another team?

TOUCAN

30 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm officially a free agent until Bill O'Brien is out of Houston. Thought about the Saints and Browns, Denver made a strong push for my fandom (very strong push, actually).

@ramssuperbowl99 and I are always listening to offers.

The Iowa Hawkeyes could use your vote solider.

Last year I "celebrated" my 50th year as a fan of the Vikings.  It hasn't been a very fun ride.  My dad has been a fan of this team since their inception in 1961, and I can remember as a kid seeing him putting on a snowmobile suit and filling up a thermos of hot coffee to go out to games to watch the Purple People Eaters at Met Stadium back in the 70's.  In May he will turn 90 years of age and probably won't ever be able to see our team win a Super Bowl. 

We have had a lot of very good teams over the years but they have never won it all.  I hate to say it, but it has gotten very old.  Now we just extended a quarterback who likely doesn't have what it will take to win a Super Bowl, and a coach who, although very good, doesn't seem to know how to put together a team that doesn't get steamrolled by more physical teams in the playoffs.  Two years ago we had a perfect opportunity to be the first team in history to win a Super Bowl in their home stadium.  We were one of the better teams in the league that year, but we all know how that turned out.  It's like a broken record that just keeps playing on and on and on.

I have to admit that I've considered moving on.  Half a century of ineptitude should be MORE than enough time for them to get their act together just once.  A new team might be a nice breath of fresh air, even if the other team isn't very good to begin with.  We'll see.  It would be REALLY lousy to change teams after a 50-year investment of time and then watch the Vikings finally win it all after I had jumped ship.  I don't even know what to think anymore.  I'm really just weary of the whole thing.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Last year I "celebrated" my 50th year as a fan of the Vikings.  It hasn't been a very fun ride.  My dad has been a fan of this team since their inception in 1961, and I can remember as a kid seeing him putting on a snowmobile suit and filling up a thermos of hot coffee to go out to games to watch the Purple People Eaters at Met Stadium back in the 70's.  In May he will turn 90 years of age and probably won't ever be able to see our team win a Super Bowl. 

We have had a lot of very good teams over the years but they have never won it all.  I hate to say it, but it has gotten very old.  Now we just extended a quarterback who likely doesn't have what it will take to win a Super Bowl, and a coach who, although very good, doesn't seem to know how to put together a team that doesn't get steamrolled by more physical teams in the playoffs.  Two years ago we had a perfect opportunity to be the first team in history to win a Super Bowl in their home stadium.  We were one of the better teams in the league that year, but we all know how that turned out.  It's like a broken record that just keeps playing on and on and on.

I have to admit that I've considered moving on.  Half a century of ineptitude should be MORE than enough time for them to get their act together just once.  A new team might be a nice breath of fresh air, even if the other team isn't very good to begin with.  We'll see.  It would be REALLY lousy to change teams after a 50-year investment of time and then watch the Vikings finally win it all after I had jumped ship.  I don't even know what to think anymore.  I'm really just weary of the whole thing.

On one hand, I enjoyed reading this because it’s given me insight into someone I’ve been internet acquainted with for well over a decade. On the hand, it’s not an altogether happy story. 

Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DaveDX said:

Their butts hurt extremely bad over our “mistreatment” of Cam. Also apparently we were mean to Olsen. And Luke’s retirement is somehow our fault also. They’ve retroactively decided firing Rivera was wrong too.  They’re Camther fans, basically. 

If they get mad at anyone, it should be at Cam's barber and clothier.  You guys are going to love Teddy.  He's a great young man and a pretty darn good player if he's put into the right situation.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

I'd live for my team and die for my team. 

It's never been difficult at all for me to support them.  

It's a team that really forged football popularity around the world.  

A dynasty that will always be better than the rest for their history of sheer brilliance.  

I would never think of ever rooting for another team after a lackluster season.  

It's just not morally right.  

Edited by RamblinMan99

This whole notion is foreign to me, to be honest. I can't choose who I root for, even if I want to try. If I had any agency over the decision, I would choose to not be a fan of any team, and just enjoy the sport. Over the years I've gotten slightly less die-hard about the Packers, but any time they start to go on a run it starts to suck me back in a little bit.

But yeah, i don't think fandom has ever been something that I've consciously chosen. Since moving out to Boston, without even trying I've become a huge Bruins fans, and root hard for the Celtics and Red Sox (eh...that's more love/hate). I still like all Wisconsin teams too. I couldn't just suddenly decide to move on to a different team, and then shop for one like I'm at the mall, and choose the one I like best.

I dunno, maybe others are able to do that. Might be kinda nice. But I just can't relate to that.

not with the steelers. I did try to become a Cubs fan in the mid-00s due to them always been televised locally in Pittsburgh and the Pirates being WOAT in my whole life up to that point, but it lasted for like a month. I'm gonna die a Pirates fan, unfortunately

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glen said:

The Iowa Hawkeyes could use your vote solider.

There's several things the Hawkeyes could use, more than I could fit in a single post. My vote will not put out the fire in that dumpster.

1 hour ago, DaveDX said:

Their butts hurt extremely bad over our “mistreatment” of Cam. Also apparently we were mean to Olsen. And Luke’s retirement is somehow our fault also. They’ve retroactively decided firing Rivera was wrong too.  They’re Camther fans, basically. 

I’ve been a Panther fan since 95 and I still think they did with Cam was wrong. Especially signing a lesser talent to replace him. Historically they have been pretty bad at parting ways, Steve Smith was botched too. 

Rivera should have been fired well beforehand.

13 minutes ago, RabidPanther89 said:

I’ve been a Panther fan since 95 and I still think they did with Cam was wrong. Especially signing a lesser talent to replace him. Historically they have been pretty bad at parting ways, Steve Smith was botched too. 

Rivera should have been fired well beforehand.

And you don’t need anyone to justify your feelings because you are fully within your rights to have them. I don’t disagree on all points. Hell, I have a proper, sewn-rather-than-printed Cam jersey that I’ll wear forever. But I do believe that current circumstances, along with different ideas for the future from team and player led to this outcome. 

• Like 1