Have you ever flirted with being a fan of another team?

TOUCAN

55 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nope. I have gotten less hateful of rivals though as I have aged. Does that count? 

We do not reward apathy, take a stand my good man !

For the our generation in WI, it was a rough ride growing up.
The shadow of the Glory Years loomed large and the 70's were as disastrous and the 60's were glorious

We took solace in T-shirts that said:
"We don't love them because they are good, we love them because they are ours"   

At that point we were both proprietary and provincial in our love for the Packers, and the cult grew from there.
Given my significant and lifelong investment, I simply do not have the currency for a 2nd team

Nope.  Closest I ever came was when Favre left the Packers.  I told myself that I would root for Favre as far as I could without actively rooting against the Packers.  That meant root against him in games a Jets or Vikings loss helped the Packers. 

I only started watching football when I was 21, and had very little contact with the sport before. I started watching a lot of NFL games and I started liking 2 teams, Saints and Chargers. 

In the end the Chargers were the team that I was actually emotionally invested in. 

It might have been touch and go for a moment, but I never looked back and despite being a fan of one of the most soul wrenching teams, them having already moved to a different town, and having one of the most inept and downright incompetent owner in all of sport, I don't think I will ever feel the same level of connection to a different team. 

I’ve been a Vikings fan since ‘96. Die hard for most of it. With that said, I contemplated what I would do if we fired Mike Zimmer this past year.

There was a lot of pressure to fire him last year, and there’s perhaps even more this year (though if he fails this year, it’s a different story). I don’t want to debate why I feel it would have been very wrong for us to fire him this pst year, but I would have felt that way. So if that happened, I’d possibly be a fan of my dad’s favorite team (who I’ve always loved to watch play): The Steelers.

On 4/4/2020 at 1:10 PM, Forge said:

Nope. I have gotten less hateful of rivals though as I have aged. Does that count? 

I want to know when that’s going to happen for me. I’ve been hearing about how as people age they appreciate the game more and resent rivals less. But I’m 36 and I definitely do not. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaveDX said:

I want to know when that’s going to happen for me. I’ve been hearing about how as people age they appreciate the game more and resent rivals less. But I’m 36 and I definitely do not. 

I'm kind of in that boat of not resenting my rivals as much as I used to. Most of it has to do with the effort required to REALLY hate something.

Hating a rival is hard work. It's a drain, especially if they're consistently good. 

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Hating a rival is hard work. It's a drain, especially if they're consistently good. 

Yeah, but you’re a fan of an AFC South team. None of your rivals have been consistently good since Peyton left. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pwny said:

Yeah, but you’re a fan of an AFC South team. None of your rivals have been consistently good since Peyton left. 

Still a drain. Rather think the Jags/Colts just don't exist.

(There's a special bit of soulful hatred towards the Titans, mind you. That's burned into my spirit).

On 4/4/2020 at 12:10 PM, Forge said:

See, I am the exact opposite. I used to try and play nice with our rivals. But then I realized I hate everyone in general and double that for Eagles fans. 9ers fans are up there as well, so you better watch your back buddy.