The first three rounds

OneTwoSixFive

The first three picks. Using TheDraftNetwork as a guide, I've listed picks that might be available at WR, DL, OT and ILB at each of the first three draft rounds (ie picks #30, #62, #94).

For this exercise I've ignored many positions like S, CB, QB, TE, RB for simplicity. Looking at the options for each of the first three picks, who would YOU choose to draft ? I'd expect a better result than Gutekunst could manage, simply because you already know who is available in each round, so the bar is set high.

Round 1

WR Gone – RuggsIII, Lamb, Jeudy, Jefferson.     Available – Mims, Reagor Shenault, Higgins.
OT Gone – Wirfs, Thomas, Becton, Wills.             Available – J.Jones, E.Cleveland, A.Jackson.
DL Gone – Brown, Kinlaw.                                       Available – Gallimore, Blacklock, Davidson.
ILB Gone – Simmons.                                              Available – Murray, Queen.

Round 2

WR Gone – K.J.Hamler.                                           Available – Peoples-Jones, Aiyuk, M.Pittman.
OT Gone – Niang.                                                     Available – P.T.Wanogho, I.Wilson, M.Peart.
DL Gone – Madubuike, R.Davis.                             Available - D.Hamilton.
ILB Gone – none.                                                      Available – M.Harrison, J.Brooks, W.Gay.

Round 3

WR Gone – none.                                                     Available – C.Claypool, B.Edwards, Van Jefferson.
OT  Gone - none.                                                      Available – Saahdiq Charles, Ben Bartch.
DL  Gone – none.                                                     Available – J.Elliott, R.Lawrence.
ILB Gone – none.                                                     Available – Davis-Gaither, T.Dye.

My personal choice is: WR Reagor,  DL Hamilton,  ILB Davis-Gaither.  How about you ?

PS WR Peoples-Jones availability might be a little bit of a stretch in round two, but it isn't beyond the bounds of possibility.

Blacklock, Peart, Davis-Gaither ( I could grab Van Jefferson in 3rd and be OK with it too)

I could also make a case for grabbing either Murray or Jones in round 1. 

I'm pretty locked in on wanting help at DT, OT and ILB personally. If we go WR it won't be a bad thing. 

Edited by Golfman

I was in a real debate between Jones and Higgins in the first. Ended up with Jones, Aiyuk and Claypool.

My thing is I would go OT in the 1st then 2nd WR and in the 3rd WR.

OR if none of the top 5 OTs around in the 1st then I would go WR,  2nd OT, and in the 3rd WR 

Jones / Hamilton / Van Jefferson 

I feel like all 3 players fill an immediate need, Van Jefferson is a polished route runner and would be able to come in and compete Day 1, only downside is the age but I think where he is at with his route running, kind of makes up for that. 

Jones is the obvious choice after Bulaga left for LA and Hamilton would provide a nice piece along side Clark. 

Edited by Nick_gb
  • Like 1