Reuben Foster running on a treadmill

turtle28

There are two sides to every story.  The Redskins were in on Amari Cooper, but they offered about half of the amount of guaranteed money that Dallas offered him.  Was that a serious offer, or was that just doing due diligence on a top player?  Same with Austin Hooper.  You have that story coming out, and then multiple local reporters questioning if the team ever had that much interest to begin with as it pertains to Hooper.  

Also you need to read my post a bit more.  I never said Rivera had full control.  I indicated that he either had some degree of control, or this could be something he learned while he had a GM.  Clearly, there is a pattern throughout the years with the Panthers, and that is build through the draft.  Establish the culture with the original guys, and then continue to build it with every draft class.  Re-sign the players who perform well.  Rarely, if ever, spending money on top tier free agents.  

If you held a gun to my head and asked me what sounds more reasonable for Rivera- pulling an off-season spending spree for the ages (that many of us thought would happen and are let down by it) versus signing a bunch of veterans to 1-2 year deals, I would've pointed you to his history as much more evidence of the latter happening.  And it's been a clear progression with the Redskins too.  I'm also of the opinion that you build through the draft, and once you feel the window is close, then you go out and sign those 1-2 free agents who you are saving cap space for to put you over the top.  If you sign them too early, then you risk them being on the downside of their career once the team is actually ready to perform at their peak level.  

This is what's happening, and there was clear history to point to it happening.  All things that were available for us to look at when Snyder decided to hire Rivera.  I just don't know why it's such a surprise.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I agree with the principle.  In practice, I do not believe the Redskins have been drafting pretty well.  I would say we've been average to slightly above average.  

I think they have. I think this class will be the one that brings the last 3 together. I think they hit a homer in with Sweat even without Chase he was and still is my guy. One year without facing real comp in camp until we signed Penn. he had to learn on the fly after this year nobody will be missing that second from this year. Jimmy M is going to be a baller. This guy is going to be a good one. Payne is a beast. This year in a 4-3 this guy is going to make I think the biggest jump because he collapses the pocket better then all our DL. When Chase and Sweat have guys stepping up Payne is going to have the QB’s OL right in their faces. And I think we all see what Terry is. And if someone can lock away Guices Voodoo doll from whoever keeps cursing his knees then we have drafted well.

There’s many more that have shown flashes. Health is key. Holecomb is going to be a fan favorite who is just consistent. We didn’t Draft Sims but that guy looked foreal. And it all really depends on what Haskins becomes. Opinions are all over the board but I think he shows it!!! I believe he will not only earn the job. But I believe he silences a lot of critics this year

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

I think they have. I think this class will be the one that brings the last 3 together. I think they hit a homer in with Sweat even without Chase he was and still is my guy. One year without facing real comp in camp until we signed Penn. he had to learn on the fly after this year nobody will be missing that second from this year. Jimmy M is going to be a baller. This guy is going to be a good one. Payne is a beast. This year in a 4-3 this guy is going to make I think the biggest jump because he collapses the pocket better then all our DL. When Chase and Sweat have guys stepping up Payne is going to have the QB’s OL right in their faces. And I think we all see what Terry is. And if someone can lock away Guices Voodoo doll from whoever keeps cursing his knees then we have drafted well.

There’s many more that have shown flashes. Health is key. Holecomb is going to be a fan favorite who is just consistent. We didn’t Draft Sims but that guy looked foreal. And it all really depends on what Haskins becomes. Opinions are all over the board but I think he shows it!!! I believe he will not only earn the job. But I believe he silences a lot of critics this year

If you look at the last four drafts, this is how I would evaluate them.  

2019: Probably the best one we've had in decades.  Even if Haskins is a bust, the trajectory for Sweat and McLaurin makes up for it.  Holcomb and Martin look like very good mid-round contributors, and Harmon and Moreland are good late-round depth additions.  Bryce Love being anywhere close to the player he was in college could boost this even higher. 

2018: A solid draft at this point.  It seems we hit on Payne in the first round.  In later rounds, solid depth options in Trey Gruden, Stroman and Dion-Hamilton.  I feel we took a run-stuffing tackle too early in Tim Settle (though a good player) and Apke was an extreme upside pick that looks like a bust right now.  I also have to give Guice a bust grade right now due to his knees, and Geron Christian didn't push forward in his second off-season, to the point where we had to rely on signing Donald Penn.  With the potential misses and overdraft from 2-5, this could be an average, slightly below average draft.  

2017: Another solid draft, but nothing that screams above average.  Jonathan Allen fell to us at 17 and was a great pick-up, but I feel if he went #1 where he was originally projected, he would be considered a bust.  He's been very, very good for us though, and a fine value at 17.  Sprinkle and Roullier in the fifth round were great value.  The late round picks didn't survive long except for Harvey-Clemons as a special teamer.  Perine was a huge whiff in the fourth round despite a great grade from a lot of draft pundits at the time, and Montae Nicholson was a subpar starter.  Ryan Anderson has been a huge bust, and the verdict can still be out on Fabian Moreau.  

2016: Not a good one.  Doctson had some solid performances with Cousins but was a bust with injury and consistency issues.  Su'a Cravens was another huge bust in the second.  Kendall Fuller was a win coming out of the third and excels as a slot corner.  Big, big win on Matt Ioannadis in the fifth, but we also cut him at one point too.  We got next to nothing out of the rest of the draft as far as depth goes.  

So we are trending in the right direction.  I would like to hit more on the second and third rounders, who should be league average starters, and I would like some more longer-term depth from our late round picks.  

The Redskins have been drafting well since 2014, it's foolish to suggest otherwise.

2014: they drafted 4 guys that are on NFL rosters (Murphy, Moses, Long & Breeland), 3 of them started last year, 2 of them started in the playoffs (Breeland & Murphy), one of them played in the Super Bowl  (Breeland) and played well all playoffs for the Chiefs.

2015: 1st Rnd drafted pro-bowler OG Brandon Scherff. In rnd 2 drafted a good DE/OLB in Preston Smith who played well at times for us from 2015-2018 and had a breakout season for the Packers as a FA last year. Then, in round 4 they drafted one of the best slot WRs in the NFL (Crowder), they also drafted Kouanjio who started 8 games in the NFL & was serviceable. Then, they drafted Spaight who was a good backup/special teams guy and a spot starter and they drafted Kyshoen Jarrett in round 6 who was arguably our best safety that year and good in he slot, if not for his nerve injury he’d still be on our roster.

2016: Now this was the true stinker! It looked more like a Vinny Cerrato draft like Shanahan’s 2013 draft did. That being said, they did find a starring corner Kendall Fuller and arguably their best DL Matt 

2017: Drafted Jon Allen in rnd 1 - arguably their best DL along w/ Ioannidis. 2nd rnd pick Ryan Anderson has been stuck behind first round picks his entire career. He flashed some last year after Kerrigan was Shur down for the year and has an outside shot to start at SLB this year if Thomas Davis starts at WLB & someone else plays MLB between Bostic, a healthy Foster or Holcomb. They drafted Fabian Moreau in the 3rd who flashed in 2018 & 19 when healthy and he’ll again probably be our 3rd corner this year w/ Fuller sliding to the slot when teams go 3 wide. Monte Nicholson in round 4 did turn out to be a starter although he was a average at best starter who only flashed some over his 3 years in DC and battled injuries, he's still a backup level safety in the league if anyone signs him considering his off the field issues. Jeremy Sprinkle has been a fine selection as a 5th round pick, nothing wrong w/ a 5th round pick being a back up TE & he started 13 games last year although at a below average level but he was just a 5th round pick. Chase Roullier in the 6th was a good selection, he's an average to above-average center, great selection for the 6th round.

2018: Da’Ron Payne was a good pick in round 1.  Guice is TBD, the games he's played he's flashed really well but he's battled knee injuries his first two years - an ACL cost him his entire rookie year. Christian in rnd 3 hasn't gotten a chance to play much - maybe that's an indictment on him/maybe not - when he filled in last year for Moses vs NE, Detroit and most of the game vs Carolina when Moses went out, he wasn't a liability in any of them that I remember.  Then, they drafted Apke in rnd 4. He’s been a back up but he’s flashed some when he had to play last year, TBD if he’s anything more then a back up. Tim Settle, Shaun Dion Hamilton, Greg Stroman and Trey Quinn were all good late round picks.

2019: Haskins flashed the second half of the year as he started - especially in December once Steven Sims began starting to give him another dependable weapon besides Scary Terry. Sweat started off slow but had 5.5 sacks the second half of the year. Scary Terry was drafted in round 3 and he’s a pro bowl caliber WR, he was All-Rookie. Bryce Love is TBD bc of his ACL injury in his senior year but I’d healthy he’s got enough talent to be a feature back in the NFL. Wes Martin was also drafted in round 4, he had to start and fill in for Scherff when he was injured and it didn’t seem that we missed Scherff much. He may be our starting LG this year. Round 5 we took Ross P who was a back up interior OL but it’s TBD if he can be a starter. Then, we drafted Cole Holcomb in round 6 who started every game, was our best ILB vs the run and second on the team in tackles. We also drafted Kelvin Harmon in round 6 who started 8 games and at worst looked like a #4 WR. In round 7 we drafted Moreland who flashed as a CB and Jordan Brailford who sadly got injured but has potential as a back up DE but it’s TBD.

Edited by turtle28

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

In 2004 we landed Sean Taylor and Chris Cooley in the same draft class.  

Yeah, that was a great one. Too bad the rest of the class was trash. 2019 could end up w/ a franchise QB, a pro bowl DE, a #1 WR, possibly a starting LG, possibly a good RB (if he stays healthy), and a starting LB who had over 105 tackles as a rookie 5th round pick.

59 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, that was a great one. Too bad the rest of the class was trash. 2019 could end up w/ a franchise QB, a pro bowl DE, a #1 WR, possibly a starting LG, possibly a good RB (if he stays healthy), and a starting LB who had over 105 tackles as a rookie 5th round pick.

AHEM??!!!!

Z4BYZA2QOJA2LEZCIAZ6HS5274.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

In 2004 we landed Sean Taylor and Chris Cooley in the same draft class.  

Yeah, but if you look at it objectively, Taylor's tragic death cuts at it sadly, because we only saw one combined season of an elite Taylor.  Cooley was very good/great for us for most of his career, but we only had two other selections that weren't all that great.  So I can't really say it was all that great, but the big piece of that just happens to be circumstances out of everyone's control.  So maybe an asterisk for that one?  

• Like 1