2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

10 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Josh Allen is another 'looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane' type prospect and I seriously hope Elway doesn't make it a hat trick of drafting QB's that fit that mold.

No Josh Rosen? He has better footwork and mechanics than Darnold by a good margin. Not as mobile but one hell of a passer. He is neck-and-neck with Darnold to me, and gun to my head I lean Rosen. Guys with his type of compact release and feel for the game at his age rarely fail.

Rosen is a hell of a prospect.  The dude can sling it and is mechanically sound.  Also comes from a more pro style offense with experience under center.

Darnold is still my #1, though.  He doesn’t have the arm talent of Rosen, but man he makes some accuracy, anticipation, throw the WR open type throws that are special.  His instincts as a passer and ability to place the football are as good as I’ve seen since I really got into football and watching prospects.  Not the most gifted overall talent I’ve seen (that was Luck) but he has qualities that great QBs typically have.

2 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Rosen is a hell of a prospect.  The dude can sling it and is mechanically sound.  Also comes from a more pro style offense with experience under center.

Darnold is still my #1, though.  He doesn’t have the arm talent of Rosen, but man he makes some accuracy, anticipation, throw the WR open type throws that are special.  His instincts as a passer and ability to place the football are as good as I’ve seen since I really got into football and watching prospects.  Not the most gifted overall talent I’ve seen (that was Luck) but he has qualities that great QBs typically have.

Heck 20 years old you can't beat that from a prospect. 

39 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Heck 20 years old you can't beat that from a prospect. 

I could see a lot of teams having Rosen rated higher, though.  Rosen has the better arm, mechanics, and comes from a pro style system.  Also didn’t have a lot of talent around him and still produced.  I think Rosen is the safer pick.  I think the Eli comparison is solid, I see a lot of Matt Ryan in him as well.  

Either would obviously be fine with me.  It’s almost 1A/1B between them for me.  I give the edge to Darnold simply because I love his instincts as a passer, Football placement, and ability to anticipate.  He’s also highly advanced for a college player using touch to complete throws.

Darnold’s ball security is definitely concerning.  I am interested to see his hand size.  Some of his fumbles shouldn’t happen.  Maybe it’s just been a bit of bad luck, but he’s lost the football on some plays where it raises some questions.  I haven’t looked lately, but in the past there has been some correlation between QB success and hand size.  Smaller handed QBs back then typically didn’t have success in the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Darnold’s ball security is definitely concerning.  I am interested to see his hand size.  Some of his fumbles shouldn’t happen.  Maybe it’s just been a bit of bad luck, but he’s lost the football on some plays where it raises some questions.  I haven’t looked lately, but in the past there has been some correlation between QB success and hand size.  Smaller handed QBs back then typically didn’t have success in the NFL. 

9 and 1/2 inches is the supposed ideal minimum.  Romo was 8 7/8.  Wilson & Brees are at 10 1/4.  

10 hours ago, germ-x said:

Yeah he definitely has to have smaller hands, some of the fumbles are him being careless but like you said some shouldn't happen. Still think he will be a very good QB but turnovers will always be an issue.

Wilson & Brees are at 10 1/4.  

This is huge for Mayfield. It shows that historically a QB under 6'00 absolutely needs to have abnormal hands to succeed. As always, there are and will be outliers, but for the small sample size of successful sub-6 foot QB's, they have all had enormous hands for their size.

29 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

This is huge for Mayfield. It shows that historically a QB under 6'00 absolutely needs to have abnormal hands to succeed. As always, there are and will be outliers, but for the small sample size of successful sub-6 foot QB's, they have all had enormous hands for their size.

Baker is 6'2"

25 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Baker is 6'2"

As per OU numbers alone.   Combine might show up differently.   A&M listed  Manziel at 6’1 ended up 5’11 at Combine, which are only numbers we can trust.     Colleges routinely fudge the #’s.  

Either way hand size more important than height difference here for QB - fumbles that Darnold had could definitely be due to smaller hands.  Will be interesting to see how they measure out at the Combine.   

I've got a question for you guys that really watch the college QB's. Out of the top QB's, which one is most likely to head butt one of his OL guys after a good play?

A McMahon type, QB with a LB mentality. Tough guy, fierce competitor. If you've got the time to rate 'em 1-10 or whatever I'd appreciate it.

17 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I've got a question for you guys that really watch the college QB's. Out of the top QB's, which one is most likely to head butt one of his OL guys after a good play?

A McMahon type, QB with a LB mentality. Tough guy, fierce competitor. If you've got the time to rate 'em 1-10 or whatever I'd appreciate it.

I am not a college expert by any stretch of the imagination, but from what I have seen and read Mayfield fits your specifications to a T.

9 minutes ago, BroncoinGermany said:

I am not a college expert by any stretch of the imagination, but from what I have seen and read Mayfield fits your specifications to a T.

I should have added "can make all the throws". I just assume if they can't you won't rank them. Thats pretty much a bottom line issue.

Archived