2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

On 4/8/2018 at 9:51 AM, thebestever6 said:

You're comfortable with the positions this year. We have aging positions especially wrs. It's not black and white. There's a grey area.

I am comfortable enough to invest in our QBOF if he is on this board.  There are lots of potential solutions on our roster now to shore up the receiving corp/OL/RB.  And we know them already.  Namely Carlos Henderson, Jake Butt, Austin Traylor Connor McGovern and De'Angelo Henderson.  I am gonna get nailed on this one but even Isaiah McKenzie could rebound and compete for the slot.    Anyone we draft at those positions is gonna have to beat them out and from my research, the Broncos are putting them in a position to win jobs.  So if you trade back and draft a WR, OG, RB, TE it must be assumed that that payer is an immediate starter over the above guys.  Which is a 50/50 to me, at best.

Taking the BPA at 5 guarantees a starter day one, but no trade back strategy does.  Every roster is has grey areas in today's NFL.  And any analysis can be blown up by an injury or personnel bust.

But the current roster needs a QBOF or the BPA day 1 starter at 5, I prefer it being the offensive player (Nelson/Barkley). Not players to compete for a starting job.  We can add youth and depth with our middle round picks and FA between now and June. You only get a shot at this once every 10 years the odds say to pick this high.

My opinion has evolved on this as the Broncos have made moves at RT and with Su'a Cravens coming in as that TE covering hybrid LB/S, as trading back would have probably been more important as I saw those as huge holes that have now been turned in to a strength.

So many what if's still, right?  If I could know one thing that would completely cement my final opinion it would be;  Did Elway and Kubiak (VJ is not part of this decision) fall in love with 1 QB?  If so, the draft should play out only one way.  TRADE UP and get him. And then fill needs with whats left.

15 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

The only way I'd trade down is I'd you get the two number ones from the Bills. That is it. Otherwise, take Chubb, Nelson, or Barkley. 

We would need a premium like a future 2nd or this years 2nd for this to work for me.  IT would allow us to potentially move back up if Nelson falls

44 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

But the current roster needs a QBOF or the BPA day 1 starter at 5, I prefer it being the offensive player (Nelson/Barkley). Not players to compete for a starting job.  We can add youth and depth with our middle round picks and FA between now and June. You only get a shot at this once every 10 years the odds say to pick this high.

If the Broncos stay at 1.5.  I am more convinced that Barkely just won't be available.  I think he either goes Giants or Browns, and there is nothing the Broncos can do about that.  So, I think the best player is Chubb...I'd rather put two to three more talented players on the defensive side of the ball to keep our defense as dominant as ever.  You put a top three defense out there, with Keenum protecting the ball, and improved special teams, then we have something that contend this year.  If they want to transition to an offensive team, then I might divorce my fandom, becuase have seen what works...a$$ kicked in the Super Bowl with offensive teams, win Super Bowl with kick a$$ defensive team.  It aint a pretty game to watch, but it is effective.  

The only X-factor in all of this, is I am not sure what that conversation was like in the private workout with Darnold.  If the Brown can pick up draft picks and still get Allen and the Broncos can move into the #1 overall...that makes things interesting.  Because Darnold is just twenty years old...he has a few years to sit behind Keenum.  There could be some thinking there.  I hope the Broncos don't go there and just build the defense back up to where teams are just scoring 10-13 points a game.  I think the offensive we have should get 17-20 points per game...again, it aint a pretty way to win...but it wins.  

2 hours ago, BaldyBronco said:

I am comfortable enough to invest in our QBOF if he is on this board.  There are lots of potential solutions on our roster now to shore up the receiving corp/OL/RB.  And we know them already.  Namely Carlos Henderson, Jake Butt, Austin Traylor Connor McGovern and De'Angelo Henderson.  I am gonna get nailed on this one but even Isaiah McKenzie could rebound and compete for the slot.    Anyone we draft at those positions is gonna have to beat them out and from my research, the Broncos are putting them in a position to win jobs.  So if you trade back and draft a WR, OG, RB, TE it must be assumed that that payer is an immediate starter over the above guys.  Which is a 50/50 to me, at best.

Taking the BPA at 5 guarantees a starter day one, but no trade back strategy does.  Every roster is has grey areas in today's NFL.  And any analysis can be blown up by an injury or personnel bust.

My opinion has evolved on this as the Broncos have made moves at RT and with Su'a Cravens coming in as that TE covering hybrid LB/S, as trading back would have probably been more important as I saw those as huge holes that have now been turned in to a strength.

So many what if's still, right?  If I could know one thing that would completely cement my final opinion it would be;  Did Elway and Kubiak (VJ is not part of this decision) fall in love with 1 QB?  If so, the draft should play out only one way.  TRADE UP and get him. And then fill needs with whats left.

I think they can do both. I think they can trade down and still get Lamar Jackson and some nice players.  I agree qbotf is the top priority. 

35 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

If the Broncos stay at 1.5.  I am more convinced that Barkely just won't be available.  I think he either goes Giants or Browns, and there is nothing the Broncos can do about that.  So, I think the best player is Chubb...I'd rather put two to three more talented players on the defensive side of the ball to keep our defense as dominant as ever.  You put a top three defense out there, with Keenum protecting the ball, and improved special teams, then we have something that contend this year.  If they want to transition to an offensive team, then I might divorce my fandom, becuase have seen what works...a$$ kicked in the Super Bowl with offensive teams, win Super Bowl with kick a$$ defensive team.  It aint a pretty game to watch, but it is effective.  

The only X-factor in all of this, is I am not sure what that conversation was like in the private workout with Darnold.  If the Brown can pick up draft picks and still get Allen and the Broncos can move into the #1 overall...that makes things interesting.  Because Darnold is just twenty years old...he has a few years to sit behind Keenum.  There could be some thinking there.  I hope the Broncos don't go there and just build the defense back up to where teams are just scoring 10-13 points a game.  I think the offensive we have should get 17-20 points per game...again, it aint a pretty way to win...but it wins.  

I subscribe completely to being that dominant defense.    Talib being gone is a big hole, but really feel like we have the personnel.  I feel like Cleveland will take Josh Allen and Bradley Chubb. Barkley goes #2 to the Giants. I think Cleveland is in a position to get the their #1 QB and the Best Defensive player in this draft and it is very real chance that it will happen.

A dominant offense is not who we are, but we need a franchise QB, regardless.  Look at every AFC Champion over the last 15 years....Even though Peyton was compromised, he was instrumental to us winning.  Blake Bortles almost made the case that an average QB with a dominant D could get there, but it did not happen.  And Philly actually pulled it off.  Still Phily HAS the franchise guy and think them winning with Foles was sort of the perfect storm.

If we trade to 1 or 2 I feel like we can build the roster to be what it needs to be to be competitive NOW.  Not Super Bowl or bust, but winning football.  We give up a lot and it's super painful on paper to think of the player, or players we could have had on the roster now.  Any guy we give up to get the QB will haunt us for years, and that may be the cost we have to pay.

If we stay at 5 and Chubb fell and we took him over Nelson, I could not argue, but the thing that has held this team back more than any thing is the lack of consistent OL play.  We have a chance to draft a HOF caliber Guard at a position we have not been strong at since Vasquez and maybe Stink or Dan Neil before that. I would say to agree with the dominant defense, we have to match that with the equally dominant running game.  They go hand in hand right?  Nelson will make everyone around him better and vise versa.

Our defense is so solid and got a lot younger and signing Clinton McDonald was huge to fill a day one leader in the locker room role.  I have a really strong feeling that the Gotsis thing is gonna go away and that Derek Wolfe will bounce back.  We have figured out that we misused Demarcus Walker last  year and moving him back to the proper position more inside with more weight will go a long way to him adding a great rotation with Wolfe, Kerr, Peko, Gotsis and McDonald.  Add a healthy and hungry Shane Ray to the mix and the current "No Fly Zone" and we are still VERY good on defense. Getting Su'a to protect Todd Davis seems very smart too.  There are just not many holes on our defense.  

If you were told, the Broncos as they are currently built would be a +7 turnover team, this defense would be Top 5 right now.  Would you take Nelson over Chubb?  I would, because it would go a really long way to getting that running game moving in the way it needs to go.

It ends up that I would rather see an OL that has Bolles, Leary, Paradis, Nelson and Veldheer with our current front 7 on defense and using draft capital on an edge rusher later.

56 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I think they can do both. I think they can trade down and still get Lamar Jackson and some nice players.  I agree qbotf is the top priority. 

DEN hasn't worked out Jackson in private - that's a dead giveaway they aren't looking there.   Keep in mind Elway's had the other 4 QB's on workouts, and even guys like Vita Vea and Donte Jackson.    Elway's telegraphed his 1st round targets year in and year out.   Jackson comes in, then we can talk, but Elway's history says this isn't happening.

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

DEN hasn't worked out Jackson in private - that's a dead giveaway they aren't looking there.   Keep in mind Elway's had the other 4 QB's on workouts, and even guys like Vita Vea and Donte Jackson.    Elway's telegraphed his 1st round targets year in and year out.   Jackson comes in, then we can talk, but Elway's history says this isn't happening.

Yeah.  I don’t want Jackson at all anyway.

I’m okay with a slight trade back, probably #12 overall being the lowest.  But talk of going back into the 20s I’d be completely against.  4 QBs will go in the top 12, which leaves the top 8 position players on the board.  Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, Fitzpatrick, Ward, James, Vea, Edmunds, Smith (so 9) all are capable of being some of the best players in the NFL at their respective positions.

5 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Yeah.  I don’t want Jackson at all anyway.

I’m okay with a slight trade back, probably #12 overall being the lowest.  But talk of going back into the 20s I’d be completely against.  4 QBs will go in the top 12, which leaves the top 8 position players on the board.  Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, Fitzpatrick, Ward, James, Vea, Edmunds, Smith (so 9) all are capable of being some of the best players in the NFL at their respective positions.

That's a fair assessment, although I'd point out Edmunds is so raw instinct-wise compared to the others (clearly amazing ceiling).   Vea is a freak, NT's shouldn't be as explosive and agile as he is.  I can see why we brought him in if there's even a chance we drop to 12.  But we shouldn't be dropping back any further - and I'd argue the Nelson / Chubb / Barkley tier is well above the next level.   

The fact we haven't done any homework on Edumnds/Smith/Ward really tells me that Elway isn't thinking about moving back far as plan A or B.  Frankly, I don't blame him, given that NYG & CLE really hold way more leverage than we do.   We don't have anyone behind us that's targeting QB, so it's so unlikely that we end up being the team that gets a ransom - NYG at 1.2 or CLE at 1.4 will likely be that team.

@BaldyBronco I think Roby is going to be a fine replacement....he isn't going to be Talib...Talib at this point is a borderline HOFer, even if you don't like him or his mouth or his off the field issues.  But, I think Roby has all of the talent in the world to be a starting CB.  I think where you will miss talent is Roby in the nickle.  That is where the Broncos need to go in terms of the secondary via the draft, I think.  

1 hour ago, BaldyBronco said:

A dominant offense is not who we are, but we need a franchise QB, regardless.  Look at every AFC Champion over the last 15 years....Even though Peyton was compromised, he was instrumental to us winning.  Blake Bortles almost made the case that an average QB with a dominant D could get there, but it did not happen.  And Philly actually pulled it off.  Still Phily HAS the franchise guy and think them winning with Foles was sort of the perfect storm.

You are right...Peyton wasn't your average QB during the Super Bowl run.  He was far worse.  Had the Broncos lost the Super Bowl, you could have hung that loss on his shoulders.  He fumbled and threw a few picks in the Super Bowl.  Had the Broncos not had a defense that stonewalled the Panthers, we would have lost...I think had the Broncos had a Keenum type QB with that defense...the Panthers wouldn't have been favored to win. 

1 hour ago, BaldyBronco said:

If you were told, the Broncos as they are currently built would be a +7 turnover team, this defense would be Top 5 right now.  Would you take Nelson over Chubb?  I would, because it would go a really long way to getting that running game moving in the way it needs to go.

Chubb lined up with Von with Peko, Wolfe and McDOnald/Walker...pretty f***cking dominant if you ask me.  Add in a quality nickle and a quality ILB...where does the QB throw to?  They don't?  And, with King pinning offenses on their goal line creates even more problems.  Chubb makes our defense super scary!  If the Broncos decided to go Nelson...I am okay with that...totally on board with that.  I love the idea of going LT last year number one and guard this year....get that OL right...totally on board...but Chubb in an already pretty stacked defense...effing crazy good.  

Chubb and Von together puts the Bosa and Ingram combo at an "eh" WATCH THIS! 

7 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Seems like we're fully on the Ronald Jones train. We've been linked to soooo many second round prospects a trade back seems highly likely.

DJ Chark in for a visit as well.  If anything from this offseason in terms of players Denver is in on, speed seems to be a priority.  

Archived