2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

Figured we could have a thread for college prospects since we occasionally will discuss college prospects in the various open threads.

The purpose of this thread:

• Team need discussions
  • Prospect discussions
  • Scouting reports
  • Prospect rankings

Aside from Michigan, Notre Dame and SDSU games, I don't watch other teams that much.

Here are some prospects that have stood out to me:

• Michigan DL Maurice Hurst
  • Michigan C Mason Cole
  • Notre Dame OG Quenton Nelson
  • Notre Dame OT Mike McGlinchey
  • SDSU RB Rashaad Penny
  • SDSU CB/S Hybrid Kameron Kelly

The easy answer is to keep fortifying the OL and target Mike McGlinchey, who isn't elite by any respect but is hard working, has passable athleticism and can start immediately at RT. His teammate Quenton Nelson is also really talented but I hope we can bring back Allen Barbre for one more year to get a bit of continuity on the OL. Draft another middle round OG and jettison Max Garcia to outer space.

Really only seeing weakness at OT, OG (And only if Barbre hangs them up), NT, ILB and CB (Only if Talib is gone).

I haven’t started watching any tape yet but in terms of positions to look out for:

Right Tackle (duh)

Pass Rusher (Barrett is an RFA next year and Ray will be in his contract year)

Defensive Line (If Walker stays permanent at OLB. Although I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the DL this year)

Tight End (Depending on Jake Butt’s progress but our other TEs are average)

To be honest I think we’re in a good position. We have a lot of picks and not many holes. If there’s a good quality offensive lineman in the top 10 it might be the year to trade up and get him, even if it means him playing Right Tackle or Guard. 

24 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

RT is definitely the biggest need, ILB and a 3rd WR could be definitely upgraded.

Todd Davis has been mediocre at best, and is a UFA after the season, but then it seems like Will Parks is almost being used as an ILB in this weird heavy nickel set that Joe Woods has been favouring.

The most common defensive alignment we've seen has been two edge rushers (Von and Barrett), two interior defensive linemen (Wolfe and Shelby Harris rotating with Peko and Gotsis), then Brandon Marshall as the lone true LB with three safeties and three corners.

Point being I don't think Elway is going to invest serious resources in a thumper next to Brandon Marshall when our defense doesn't really call for one anyway. I think we'll either re-sign Todd Davis or just sign a similar cheap veteran/mid round rookie to fill the 20% or so of snaps when we use 2 ILBs.

WR is an interesting one because Fowler is a RFA and Latimer is a UFA. I figure Latimer we'll try to resign for his special teams prowess. But the main thing that makes it interesting is that we took Carlos Henderson in round 3 this year. It's one of those positions I think we'll target if there's a BPA when we're picking but I'm not sure we'll force the issue there.

I'd love to draft James Washington if he slips to the second round. It's a nice looking WR class but I just can't see an early round investment there with the Henderson pick. I'd do whatever's necessary to get the right tackle of the future in the first round next year though. 

10 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I'd love to draft James Washington if he slips to the second round. It's a nice looking WR class but I just can't see an early round investment there with the Henderson pick. I'd do whatever's necessary to get the right tackle of the future in the first round next year though. 

Been a big fan of his for a while now

Positions that need to be addressed:

-RB- would not be surprised to see something happen here, especially with Anderson being able to be cut, Charles is a one-year thing, Henderson/Booker could be upgraded.

-3rd WR- depends on Henderson, but given we took him early, I imagine he'll be given a chance

RT- I would imagine this will be heavily targeted in either the offseason or more likely through the draft

DL- I don't think it's position specific, but we need DEs and an NT)

OLB- Can never have enough depth

ILB- Davis is gone and he stinks

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13RgfxMu4CW0NKMZebZ88cgg7b7MlszjfzXxEeId7Y34/edit?usp=sharing

My 2018 NFL Draft Database. 

Over 1,000 players. Player name links to college player page. Height/Weight links to NFLDraftScout prospect page. Report links to my Word Document background and eventual evaluation. 

If you have questions/additions/suggestions/etc PM me.

Thanks!

11 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13RgfxMu4CW0NKMZebZ88cgg7b7MlszjfzXxEeId7Y34/edit?usp=sharing

My 2018 NFL Draft Database. 

Over 1,000 players. Player name links to college player page. Height/Weight links to NFLDraftScout prospect page. Report links to my Word Document background and eventual evaluation. 

If you have questions/additions/suggestions/etc PM me.

Thanks!

For those that don't go to the NFL Draft Forum - @CalhounLambeau has been doing this for years, and while no one is perfect (especially when it comes to prospects), his work really stands the test of time.   Kinda excited to see the work start to filter out already...

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BroncoinGermany said:

Well, after Sunday night, let’s fire up the QB speculation. Not the worst year to look for QBs either in the college or free agency ranks. 

My QB ranking for the 2018 class would be:
1. Rosen
2. Darnold
3. Allen
4. Rudolph
5. Jackson
6. Falk
7. Browning
8. Mayfield

I really like Rosen and Darnold. After those two, there's a drop off to me. I think Allen is just not showing enough this season and it doesn't help his supporting cast is not very good. The rest honestly will shoot up and down this list for me as the season goes on.

3 hours ago, iLikeDefense said:

My QB ranking for the 2018 class would be:
1. Rosen
2. Darnold
3. Allen
4. Rudolph
5. Jackson
6. Falk
7. Browning
8. Mayfield

I really like Rosen and Darnold. After those two, there's a drop off to me. I think Allen is just not showing enough this season and it doesn't help his supporting cast is not very good. The rest honestly will shoot up and down this list for me as the season goes on.

There's no doubt in my mind that without significant upgrades in our OL and protection schemes we could destroy the career of anyone on that list.

We're watching it right now with Siemian. No QB can take that kind of punishment every week and perform at any acceptable level. It ruins careers.

27 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

There's no doubt in my mind that without significant upgrades in our OL and protection schemes we could destroy the career of anyone on that list.

We're watching it right now with Siemian. No QB can take that kind of punishment every week and perform at any acceptable level. It ruins careers.

Our line isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. We're middle in the pack in terms of pressures and time allowed in pocket. Not great, but it's not horrible. And Siemian exacerbates the situation by running himself into pressures and sacks due to his poor pocket awareness.  

I just wish people would stop making excuses for Siemian and just admit he's a crappy starting QB who's forced to start because we don't have anyone better behind him.

Archived