2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

44 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I don't know how you can say that when since 2000 only two qbs have gone on to be franchise qbs 6 feet or under. Thats 17 years! 

One of the qbs from those 2 literally has such a unique skill set. It's a generational skill set. Russell Wilson is a magician scrambling around and escaping situations. 

Mayfield has no traits equal to that trait of Wilson.

So basically we've seen a qb that short have HOF success once in 17 years!

Well, I'm using a bit larger sample size than 17 years.  Also, it's far rarer to find a QB 6'5" or over that's successful than to find one 6 or 6'1".

Either way, unless you're 6'6" plus you can't see over a LOS anyway. You still need passing lanes.

The only difference really is release point. Not enough IMO to use as a major criteria in judging a QB.

5 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Well, I'm using a bit larger sample size than 17 years.  Also, it's far rarer to find a QB 6'5" or over that's successful than to find one 6 or 6'1".

Either way, unless you're 6'6" plus you can't see over a LOS anyway. You still need passing lanes.

The only difference really is release point. Not enough IMO to use as a major criteria in judging a QB.

The problem with using a larger sample size is it's not accurate. Because the college game has changed so much same as the pro. The fact that a guy is short and comes from a spread offense makes that much more if an issue. 

Lets face it lets say Mayfield is a rookie next year. He's named the starter if he doesn't adjust playing in a pro style offense quickly I feel like the more liability he is to injury. 

6 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

The problem with using a larger sample size is it's not accurate. Because the college game has changed so much same as the pro. The fact that a guy is short and comes from a spread offense makes that much more if an issue. 

Lets face it lets say Mayfield is a rookie next year. He's named the starter if he doesn't adjust playing in a pro style offense quickly I feel like the more liability he is to injury. 

The game hasn't changed that much.

23 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

This would be the worst case scenario coming true...

It’s pretty bad that we have to hope that either Allen falls flat on his face or Lynch balls out last week vs. KC to prevent Elway from thinking about spending 1.x on Allen.  O.o

Maybe Elway is taking the "leave no stone unturned" approach? I mean, this is what I would want him to do.

6 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

Maybe Elway is taking the "leave no stone unturned" approach? I mean, this is what I would want him to do.

Showing up in person means there’s more than just “dot your I’s and cross your T’s interest” though.  

Russell being there also likely means he’s not getting replaced.  I’m more bummed about that TBH. 

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Showing up in person means there’s more than just “dot your I’s and cross your T’s interest” though.  

Russell being there also likely means he’s not getting replaced.  I’m more bummed about that TBH. 

Exactly my feelings when I heard the news that Elway and Russell are going to the game together. Russell must know where the figurative bodies are buried. 

So I was on the Wyoming sideline against Air Force assisting the team Docs (I was doing a sports med rotation with USAFA) and had a chance to watch Allen up close before and after his injury. The kid has all of the tools, and is a hell of a leader. Wyoming scores as we were walking back out of the tunnel after his evaluation and he sprinted onto the field and head butted his teammates without his helmet (maybe not the brightest crayon). He was definitely the leader of that team. 

He doesn’t throw with great anticipation (honestly only Rosen does) but he does read the entire field and he had full command of that offense. After the injury he was coaching his backup. 

I have no doubts about his love of the game or his work ethic. I have him and Darnold and 2a and 2b.

19 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

So I was on the Wyoming sideline against Air Force assisting the team Docs (I was doing a sports med rotation with USAFA) and had a chance to watch Allen up close before and after his injury. The kid has all of the tools, and is a hell of a leader. Wyoming scores as we were walking back out of the tunnel after his evaluation and he sprinted onto the field and head butted his teammates without his helmet (maybe not the brightest crayon). He was definitely the leader of that team. 

He doesn’t throw with great anticipation (honestly only Rosen does) but he does read the entire field and he had full command of that offense. After the injury he was coaching his backup. 

I have no doubts about his love of the game or his work ethic. I have him and Darnold and 2a and 2b.

I am with you.  I don’t understand all the Allen hate.  He’s raw, I get that, but I actually like him as a prospect.  The completion % is concerning and I need to watch more than highlights of him, but I have by no means written him off the way many have.

@germ-x He's just in the conversation bc he's got potential/tools that he hasn't put together, like, at all. His stats are embarrassing. I think that scares people, and it should, looking at our track record for development and the fact that we need a starting QB day one...most likely. Allen could definitely become a good player with the right development. 

I personally hate the thought of spending a first on him and I like Jackson and Mayfield significantly more. I will say Allen is significantly more talented than Osweiler was when he got drafted so that comparison is pretty meh, but I think he is somewhat comparable to Lynch. But we all know Elway telegraphs his picks so I'm scared lol 

Archived