2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

FWIW I would be really surprised if Darnold stayed at USC - that OL was awful, and their D got pushed around (#42 was unbelievable though, nice Day 2-3 guy IMO).  They have zero hope of being a BCS contender next year, and frankly, Darnold's risk of getting hurt if they face good D's is sky-high. 

In the end, I think both Rosen and Darnold declare.   The real wild-card is what CLE does, and does NYG end up with the 2 pick (seems likely with Shepard & Engram out, and more drama on that team, but WAS is on the road, so that's always a tougher game to predict, esp. given it's very possible this is Eli's last game, no matter what the GM Gettleman says, it's all PR-speak and spin control right now).

On 12/30/2017 at 3:03 PM, broncos67 said:

Wholeheartedly agree and then some. If they land Cousins (or Smith/Taylor/etc) they would be well served to have a complementary running game. Barkley is special. He's generational. It would be well worth our effort to get him if our biggest need gets addressed elsewhere

That’s what I’ve been saying!!

On 12/5/2017 at 12:33 PM, Broncofan said:

BTW, as we wait to see where we end up picking Rd 1 - the plan A is to get our QBOTF, and we need a plan B if the cards don't fall our way (obviously if we pick 1.3 or better, we feel great about getting Darnold/Rosen, but if we don't...well then it gets interesting).

But the draft lives on well after we decide on QB. So let's talk about some non-QB prospects - we've already mentioned OL, a little on ILB...I'd like to mention Day 2-3 RB's.

We know Barkley is likely going top 5, if not top 3 overall.   If we have Darnold/Rosen in our sights, while I absolutely think Barkley could be a generational player, but that's an easy call - QB impact and longevity say Darnold/Rosen.  Pure-talent wise independent of position, Barkley could make a case to be 1.1 pure BPA (but impact at QB matters in the BPA equation, franchise QB makes a bigger impact than franchise RB).

Now, the other RB that I suspect goes Rd 1 that we won't get a shot at is LSU's Derrius Guice.   Frankly, I'm ok with that, because he's got a fair amount of mileage, and if you aren't HoF-ceiling, best-of-your-generation RB, I don't think you are wise to spend a Rd1 pick on RB - the position is that short-lived, and that volatile.   I have a feeling Nick Chubb might get the 3rd RB taken treatment, too.

Booker's got 4 more games to show he can do something between the tackles - he gets a pass for Week 13 as he had the flu and was wiped out (why we went CJ/JC).    He's absolutely a 3rd down weapon we can use - but even then, he'll be entering his 3rd year, and once year 4 is done, we should be saying goodbye - yes, RB is THAT disposable if you aren't elite.   DeAngelo Henderson has raw promise - but honestly, RB is so disposible, we should not get married to anyone to avoid taking a RB (higher ceiling guys in Day 2, flier guys Day 3). 

So now is the year to consider RB (again) -  who would be there on Day 2-3 that we should be interested in?  My thoughts on a few:

Day 2 (Rd 3+)

1.  Sony Michel, Georgia (3rd)-  I actually think he's a better NFL prospect that Chubb.   Better at pass catching, better at pass pro.  Really stood out in his sophomore 2015 year, then took a backseat in 2016-17 for Chubb, but when Chubb was out, did well.   Great 3-down abilities - put on bulk this year, so added toughness to his all-around, mostly-pass catching 2015-6 label.   I love him as a Rd 3 pick TBH.   I think he has the potential to be the next Kareem Hunt / Kamara (not as good as Kamara obv, so few are that good - but the Rd3+ pick that shows he can be a starter).

2.  Rashad Penny, SD State (3rd) - small school will downgrade him like Kareem Hunt, but a great blend of power, speed, and patience.   I'd definitely be fine with nabbing Penny in the 3rd, provided his Combine/medicals hold up (his usage merits this check). 

3.  Damien Harris, ALA (?3rd) - great all around play, outplayed Bo Scarborough, the darling of the BCS.  The only caveat is he's from 'Bama.  So much harder to know if he can play when the OL/DL mismatch isn't as tilted as it is with the Tide. 

I know guys like Bryce Love (and Guice & Chubb, late Rd1/early Rd2) likely are there on Day 2, not feeling they are worth it.  Even Harris I'm iffy on.  Gotta say I love Michel, especially because he probably gets discounted being in Chubb's shadow (another parrallel to Kamara's situation, where they underutilized him).

Day 3

Akum Wadley, Mike Weber, Ronald Jones, Josh Adams- all intrigue me if we are into Rd 4-5 or later.    

RB's are the most disposable position.  Booker is the only guy we can count on, and not for anything more than a 3rd down role (but much like how NO and ATL have 2 threats at RB, we shouldn't discount getting a true bellcow RB and have Booker be his Robin...and if DeAngelo Henderson can develop, then we have our cheap pair of RB's heading into 2019 with our 2018 draftee, once Booker starts to get expensive).    

Now, final point -  RB's are the weakness in my scouting evaluation - I was all over calling Montee Ball a bust, and wanted Lacy over him, from Day 1 - but also would have taken Christine Michael too.  And I've been expecting better from Booker in-between the tackles than he's shown.   I did love Cook and Kamara the most out of the elite 2017 class top-tier and next-tier, but no one could have seen Kamara explode like he has.   I wonder if Michel is that guy (and best of all, I'd be shocked if he isn't there at 3.x where we pick).

What do the other draft guys think?

Before I'm called a bandwagoner in pimping Sony Michel, I'll just point to the above - the problem now is that with this breakout game, he's no longer a Rd3 target.   We'd probably have to spend our 2nd to get him.  I'd be all for that.   Such a dual threat difference maker, and like Kamara (no one is that good), low mileage, which matters for RB. 

2 hours ago, Zukhyubern said:

Who are some day 2-3 WRs that we should be looking at? I’m a big fan of Christian Kirk..

I have a feeling with the Combine that it would be a stretch to see him in Day 2.  But yeah, great target to be sure - athletic profile like Corey Coleman, but with better hands (and Coleman tested like a freak).

Michael Gallup is a name to watch. He will be on the north squad at the senior bowl.

Love this kid. Not the biggest, nor strongest, nor fastest. But he is adequate in all those areas and, most importantly, he knows how to play football. Great at getting open, great after the catch, wins 50/50 balls, excellent character, loves contact, loves the game, beats press, etc. Kid would be an excellent, NFL ready type pick with our R3 Comp Pick or either high R4 pick.

IMO he is the type that you can realistically expect a rookie floor as a lower tier WR3, which is great value around pick 100. Draft him, keep Sanders and boom, you have your WR trio. I think Jermaine Kearse is a decent comparison.

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Love this kid. Not the biggest, nor strongest, nor fastest. But he is adequate in all those areas and, most importantly, he knows how to play football. Great at getting open, great after the catch, wins 50/50 balls, excellent character, loves contact, loves the game, beats press, etc. Kid would be an excellent, NFL ready type pick with our R3 Comp Pick or either high R4 pick.

IMO he is the type that you can realistically expect a rookie floor as a lower tier WR3, which is great value around pick 100. Draft him, keep Sanders and boom, you have your WR trio. I think Jermaine Kearse is a decent comparison.

I can see the Kearse comparison. Kearse is a bit thicker and Gallup might have a little more juice. I expect him to have a consistently good week of practice at the Senior Bowl. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not to be a huge homer, but DJ Moore is going to be an excellent WR for whoever drafts him. He was an animal in a very competitive B1G, especially considering Maryland's putrid passing game. He was 1st team all B1G at WR, he's going to be a good pick for someone who is willing to use him properly. Hopefully it's us.

North Team Roster have some prospects I like: Baker Mayfield, Kalen Ballage, Dimitri Flowers, Braxton Berrios, Tyrell Crosby, Will Hernandez, Skai Moore, Mike McCray, and Darius Phillips. There are other big names, but those are ones I’m familiar with and like. It’s too bad we couldn’t get kameron kelly and rashaad penny.

3 hours ago, iLikeDefense said:

North Team Roster have some prospects I like: Baker Mayfield, Kalen Ballage, Dimitri Flowers, Braxton Berrios, Tyrell Crosby, Will Hernandez, Skai Moore, Mike McCray, and Darius Phillips. There are other big names, but those are ones I’m familiar with and like. It’s too bad we couldn’t get kameron kelly and rashaad penny.

This looks like a good spot to post the North roster.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Meet-the-Senior-Bowls-North-Team-coached-by-HC-Vance-Joseph-and-staff/0b1851cc-8ab2-417c-9182-d94202d11dd3

3 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

The Pittsburgh offensive tackle, O’Neill is intriguing.  A bit undersized, but a former TE whose really athletic.  Glad he’s on the North squad.

There are some guys from the South squad I wish were on the North, but overall I’m happy with the players Denver is able to get a longer look at.

Archived