2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

While I agree that we need talent across the board, especially on offense, I still retain the idea that this team is a QB away from competing. Maybe not being a favorite, but with a competent QB raises all ships. Its a near phenomenomon. The entire talent base on that eagles offense has jumped a few points with the stellar play of Wentz, and has been improving since he got into Philly. It is unexplainable, but its the truth. A great QB elevates the offensive play from OL to RB to WR. You get that talent and you can go from a bottom 5 offense with a terrible OL to a middle tier offense with a passable OL. And IMO that's all this team needs.

If we identify a guy we need to take him, but with the past two swings Elway has talent at a franchise QB in the draft, IDK if I even trust him or the scouts to find that man. So really, I don't even know what direction we should take in terms of QB.

What we really need is to get Lynch and Kelly some starts this season. Its over, we need to see what we have. I expect Lynch to fail. But putting Kelly on IR is foolish. Cut Brock, roll with Lynch and when he proves his worthlessness we can give Kelly some starts late in the season.

IDK man, just grasping at straws. Its been a rough fall from grace. But in the end, we got a trophy two years ago. Don't forget that guys. Many teams have fan bases that cant say that for the past two decades, much less two years.

You have four teams that haven't even been to a Super Bowl.  We are second to the Patriots for AFC Championships...yeah, we got it pretty good as Broncos fan.  It is a down year...every team goes through bad seasons...even good organizations.  I assume the Broncos and 49ers will rise again...they always do.

The talent level on this team's offense is GROSSLY overstated. We have two good, albeit aging, WRs. We have little else. OL is patchy, RBs are inconsistent at best, no TEs to speak of, no WR depth. Broncos fans grossly overstate how talented their offense is.

7 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

The talent level on this team's offense is GROSSLY overstated. We have two good, albeit aging, WRs. We have little else. OL is patchy, RBs are inconsistent at best, no TEs to speak of, no WR depth. Broncos fans grossly overstate how talented their offense is.

I think our rbs are fine booker henderson are both young and undervalued.  This line needs a guard and right tackle. And tight ends would be helped with better qb play.

This team isnt that far off. Im telling you an elite level qb does wonders. Its like we're cursed from having peyton now we have years of abysmal offense.

13 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I think our rbs are fine booker henderson are both young and undervalued.  This line needs a guard and right tackle. And tight ends would be helped with better qb play.

This team isnt that far off. Im telling you an elite level qb does wonders. Its like we're cursed from having peyton now we have years of abysmal offense.

We're just not going to agree. If you think these tight ends would improve, I'd like to know what that's based off of. They have shown NOTHING to suggest this is the case. Our RBs are fine? Booker is slow. Henderson hasn't been active at ALL this year. Also, we shouldn't be staking our wagon at RB to a 6th round rookie. 

This offense needs TALENT. There should be NO sacred cows. No one is good enough right now to not be replaced- but realistically, Leary, Bolles, maybe Paradis, DT, and Sanders are the core players. Everyone else is play for their future job.

1 minute ago, broncos67 said:

We're just not going to agree. If you think these tight ends would improve, I'd like to know what that's based off of. They have shown NOTHING to suggest this is the case. Our RBs are fine? Booker is slow. Henderson hasn't been active at ALL this year. Also, we shouldn't be staking our wagon at RB to a 6th round rookie. 

This offense needs TALENT. There should be NO sacred cows. No one is good enough right now to not be replaced- but realistically, Leary, Bolles, maybe Paradis, DT, and Sanders are the core players. Everyone else is play for their future job.

Agreed. 

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I've been a big believer in Booker's talent, but even I'd say there's no guarantee he can be a between-the-tackles guy.   He's got the 3rd down/2-min drill role locked up - while he's cheap.  As soon as he's cheap, we should wish him well and say goodbye.  That's the life of RB's nowadays.  To overvalue them is ridiculous given how fungible the position is nowadays.  

All of which to say..yeah, our O talent is severely overrated.  DT clearly shows what he can do with volume, Sanders is very good to great...but he's also hitting that dangerous age where decline in skills is coming.  Paradis' health is the major issue thinking long-term.    

If we overhauled 3/5 of our OL, no one should blink an eyelash.  If we overhaul TE and our WR corps behind DT/Sanders, same.  The only guy who's safe next year IMO is Booker as a pass-catcher, 2-min guy (for now).  That's simply not the definition of a good offensive core.   

Outside of our core guys, our players on O are actually pretty offensive. 

Ya, I mean look at this offensive breakdown.

3 Above Average Starters - DT + Manny (Who's value is greatly diminished by our QB play) + Leary

2 Average Starters - CJ + Paradis

1 Slightly Below Average Starter - Bolles

With everyone else being considerably below average (I still don't think Booker is much more than a Lance Ball caliber JAG). That's HORRIBLE. I believe all teams should look to upgrade average starters, so right now we truly have three guys on offense that are not replacement quality.

I guess Janovich could be considered an Average Starter but we don't use him enough to really have him qualify.

We need total talent infusion on offense, but again a franchise QB can be the quickest way to make trash smell like flowers.

4 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Ya, I mean look at this offensive breakdown.

3 Above Average Starters - DT + Manny (Who's value is greatly diminished by our QB play) + Leary

2 Average Starters - CJ + Paradis

1 Slightly Below Average Starter - Bolles

With everyone else being considerably below average (I still don't think Booker is much more than a Lance Ball caliber JAG). That's HORRIBLE. I believe all teams should look to upgrade average starters, so right now we truly have three guys on offense that are not replacement quality.

I guess Janovich could be considered an Average Starter but we don't use him enough to really have him qualify.

We need total talent infusion on offense, but again a franchise QB can be the quickest way to make trash smell like flowers.

Gotta agree.

Now, try the same with the defense, especially compared to our SB defense. If one is objective, it's quite an eye opener. Not only in positional talent but also depth.

Anyway, give it a shot and see what you think.

Defensively:

Above average starters- Wolfe, Miller, Talib, Harris, Stewart, Roby?

Average starters- Peko, Marshall, Ray/Barrett, Simmons, Gotsis

Below average- Davis, Parks

The issue here is that depth is really poor, and we're going to have to make some tough decisions. I think there's no chance that Talib AND Roby are here next year. Letting Roby walk saves $8MM, Talib saves $11MM. I could see letting Talib go for Roby, particularly because of age considerations. Simmons/Parks have some role going forward and will be good enough, although Parks can easily be replaced. Davis sucks, and will be replaced this year. That could have a positive impact on Marshall, who is lost without a speedier LB next to him. Gotsis has played better. We have zero NT depth or prospects. Not good. Shelby Harris is a nice find as a rotational DE.

We need NT depth for certain. DE could use depth via a mid round draft pick or veteran FA. LB needs an overhaul, particularly ILB, both from a starter and depth standpoint. This needs to be addressed via draft and not the bargain bin. CB is a question mark depending on how we approach the Talib/Roby situation. Keep both, things are okay for another year or two. But the capable depth behind them needs to be firmed up ASAP.

5 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I could totally see Talib taking less money to stay...there aren't too many organizations who are going to gamble on an aging CB.  Unless, it is a bad team reaching for a captain...oh wait...we are bad team reaching a bit...

I think the Ward cut will actually have some positive consequences moving forward. It showed that the spots are not guaranteed as a result of the play in the Super Bowl two years ago. This off-season when Talib sits down with Elway, he'll know that Elway won't hesitate to move in a different direction. 

Archived