2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

8 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Our line isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. We're middle in the pack in terms of pressures and time allowed in pocket. Not great, but it's not horrible. And Siemian exacerbates the situation by running himself into pressures and sacks due to his poor pocket awareness.  

I just wish people would stop making excuses for Siemian and just admit he's a crappy starting QB who's forced to start because we don't have anyone better behind him.

Don't put words in my mouth.

I'm making no excuses for Siemian. His play has been poor and seems to be getting worse. 

I'm pointing out what should be obvious. When a QB gets pounded 10 times a game he hears footsteps. Self defense mode kicks in and his play deteriorates.

Do that for a season or two and bad habits develop that never go away.

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

There's no doubt in my mind that without significant upgrades in our OL and protection schemes we could destroy the career of anyone on that list.

We're watching it right now with Siemian. No QB can take that kind of punishment every week and perform at any acceptable level. It ruins careers.

I don't disagree with what you are trying to say. I think we can all agree (well most of us) that our OL would get most young QB's murdered on a consistent basis. 

Anyways, I just posted my top 8 QB prospects, that's all.

2 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

Our line isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. We're middle in the pack in terms of pressures and time allowed in pocket. Not great, but it's not horrible. And Siemian exacerbates the situation by running himself into pressures and sacks due to his poor pocket awareness.  

I just wish people would stop making excuses for Siemian and just admit he's a crappy starting QB who's forced to start because we don't have anyone better behind him.

I think you both right and wrong here. I think we are seeing who Siemian is as a QB and that is a career back up type of QB which isn't bad but that is what he is. It will be interesting to see how our OL is graded at the end of the year because so far we had 2 good games where they held up for the most part and three games where they were awful. It's too small of a sample size for us to consider this OL as middle of the pack because the eye test doesn't say that the last few weeks.

Siemian is certainly regressing, but he is also spooked by the RT issues. He imagined phantom pressure more than a few times the last few games. Problem is, he hasn't made a ton of great throws even with a clean pocket.

I'd like to see a RT drafted or signed at some point this offseason. MLB or RB is also high atop my list. I would LOVE Derrius Guice. I would also love Connor Williams from Texas at OT- he's coming off injury so he might be available for us. 

On 10/18/2017 at 6:07 AM, broncos67 said:

Siemian is certainly regressing, but he is also spooked by the RT issues. He imagined phantom pressure more than a few times the last few games. Problem is, he hasn't made a ton of great throws even with a clean pocket.

I'd like to see a RT drafted or signed at some point this offseason. MLB or RB is also high atop my list. I would LOVE Derrius Guice. I would also love Connor Williams from Texas at OT- he's coming off injury so he might be available for us. 

It is so interesting to watch the NFL position premium swinging before our eyes. The RT scarcity is mind-boggling. A case could be made that there are only 10-16 RTs across the league who aren't considered liabilities along their respective o-lines.

It'll be a tough position to patch up this offseason as there are dozens of teams looking to fill the spot as well. Hindsight is always 20-20 but as the roster is currently configured, should we regret tying up as much as we did in the two WR positions? Or going bargain-bin hunting the past few seasons at RT?

The way our money is allocated right now (offensively) doesn't seem conducive to the brand of football that we'd be best served to play.  

14 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

It is so interesting to watch the NFL position premium swinging before our eyes. The RT scarcity is mind-boggling. A case could be made that there are only 10-16 RTs across the league who aren't considered liabilities along their respective o-lines.

It'll be a tough position to patch up this offseason as there are dozens of teams looking to fill the spot as well. Hindsight is always 20-20 but as the roster is currently configured, should we regret tying up as much as we did in the two WR positions? Or going bargain-bin hunting the past few seasons at RT?

The way our money is allocated right now (offensively) doesn't seem conducive to the brand of football that we'd be best served to play.  

I'd imagine if Elway could have one "do over" he'd have spent the money for Whitworth rather than the Watson experiment.

Good post and points by the way.

Just judging the way we looked these past two weeks we can certainly get a top 10 pick if we continue to lose.

I'd love to get Rosen, I really like what I see but we'd need to tank hard and/or trade up.
I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing an OL like Brown Jr, McGlinchey or Nelson.

30 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

Just judging the way we looked these past two weeks we can certainly get a top 10 pick if we continue to lose.

I'd love to get Rosen, I really like what I see but we'd need to tank hard and/or trade up.

It’s early but this is definitely a year where the T are in the mix at BPA for an early mid teens range pick.  

With this D and a rookie coach I don’t see Elway going for the tank this early.   By the time we embrace it a low-mid teens pick seems most likely. 

I'm a firm believer in taking BPA regardless of position in round 1, especially if you're picking in the top 12 or so.  Denver as the team currently looks, could be in that range.  I haven't dug into prospects enough to have an opinion, but if a QB is there I think it'd be hard to pass up.

I will say just based on some of the college football I've watched, which hasn't been as much as usual (wife is pregnant, looking for a new house, putting our current one up for sale) I love Bryce Love.  He has crazy explosion/speed.  Solid receiver as well.  I wouldn't take him round 1, or at least early to mid round 1, but late 1st/early 2nd he'd be a great pick.  He's not an every down guy, just too small, but you can get him 15 touches a game in a variety of ways and he'd make a huge impact.

9 hours ago, germ-x said:

I'm a firm believer in taking BPA regardless of position in round 1, especially if you're picking in the top 12 or so.  Denver as the team currently looks, could be in that range.  I haven't dug into prospects enough to have an opinion, but if a QB is there I think it'd be hard to pass up.

I will say just based on some of the college football I've watched, which hasn't been as much as usual (wife is pregnant, looking for a new house, putting our current one up for sale) I love Bryce Love.  He has crazy explosion/speed.  Solid receiver as well.  I wouldn't take him round 1, or at least early to mid round 1, but late 1st/early 2nd he'd be a great pick.  He's not an every down guy, just too small, but you can get him 15 touches a game in a variety of ways and he'd make a huge impact.

What makes you say he's a solid receiver? or do you think he will be one? The dude barely catches passes. I've watched a lot of him and I definitely like him but I wouldn't take him in round 1, maybe round 2.

13 hours ago, iLikeDefense said:

What makes you say he's a solid receiver? or do you think he will be one? The dude barely catches passes. I've watched a lot of him and I definitely like him but I wouldn't take him in round 1, maybe round 2.

He hasn't caught many this year, which is surprising.  But in limited action his first 2 seasons playing behind McCaffrey his impact touches came from catching balls out of the backfield.

He still needs some development, but with his speed/explosion he would be dynamic getting the ball with some space to work.

On 10/25/2017 at 12:03 PM, iLikeDefense said:

Rosen really scares me.  Good QB, but it's rare that a guy whose teammates and coaches all dislike him has a good NFL career at the QB position, or becomes a franchise quarterback.  Those types tend to wear out their welcomes and move around a lot.  Feels like the next iteration of Jeff George and Jay Cutler.

I really like Josh Allen.  His skill set is elite, he's just playing behind an OL as bad as David Carr's rookie year with the Texans.  That kind of punishment can ruin a player, but from what I've heard along with the skill set Allen has awesome intangibles and smarts.  I think Lamar Jackson probably ends up a top 3 pick, but if he were somehow available I think I'd welcome that addition.  

I'd be really PO'd if we wasted our 1st on another QB. 1st round QB's are the biggest crap shoot in the draft and rarely end up with SB rings.

In the last 20 years 50 QB's have been drafted in the 1st round and only 5 have rings. The Manning brothers, both #1 overall picks, have 2 each. Big Ben has two and Flacco and Rodgers 1 apiece.

Of the 50 drafted in the 1st, 14 were drafted #1 overall and only the Manning brothers have SB rings. Actually, only they and Cam even have SB appearances.

Lot's of better ways to spend a 1st.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

I'd be really PO'd if we wasted our 1st on another QB. 1st round QB's are the biggest crap shoot in the draft and rarely end up with SB rings.

In the last 20 years 50 QB's have been drafted in the 1st round and only 5 have rings. The Manning brothers, both #1 overall picks, have 2 each. Big Ben has two and Flacco and Rodgers 1 apiece.

Of the 50 drafted in the 1st, 14 were drafted #1 overall and only the Manning brothers have SB rings. Actually, only they and Cam even have SB appearances.

Lot's of better ways to spend a 1st.

Who do you have starting for us at QB next year?

Edit: 1st, It's really dumb logic to base the success of a 1st round QB on super bowl wins. In case you haven't noticed, football is a team game. There are a lot of factors outside of the QB position (even though it's most important one) that determines championship success. 

2nd, 20 years is such an arbitrary cut off. Elway, Aikman, Kelly, Marino, Bledsoe are all 1st round QBs that have had championship appearances. even though some of them didn't win. 

You need a 1st round QB, realistically, to be competitive. Let's look across the league (off the top of my head)

Wentz, Eli Manning, Stafford, Rodgers (until injury), Trubisky, Newton, Jameis, Matt Ryan, Goff, Palmer (until injury), Tannehill/Cutler (until injury), Roethlisberger, Flacco, Watson, Bortles, Mariota, Luck (when healthy), Alex Smith, Rivers, Bradford/Teddy

20 of 32 teams have a 1st round QB. Not all of these are good QBs, but in general, having a 1st round QB is necessary in the NFL. Much harder to find the Dak/Russell Wilson/Cousins tier of guys. Even guys like Drew Brees (32nd pick), Kizer, Dalton, and Carr were relatively early picks.

If you draft a guy Round 1 and he's a bust, fine, but you gotta be willing to identify and take the talent when it comes. Relying on a late round pick to be a starter, let alone a successful starter, is a recipe for disaster.

None of the QBs this year really excite me. I value experience in terms of games played. Rosen doesn't stick out much but does have experience. Josh Allen is more hype than substance, IMO. Darnold will be good, but is probably best served another year. Honestly, I like Lamar Jackson A LOT. Kinda hard not to, and he reminds me a lot of Deshaun Watson, who is crushing his rookie season. I could see Denver being interested in Jackson, particularly if they are looking to add a more dynamic element to the offense.

Archived