2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

^^^Accept that Watson went to two national championships and almost won two of them...to me what separates Watson from Jackson is that he is a proven winner...Jackson isn't. 

Tim Tebow also won titles. He wasn't a "winner" in the NFL. Jackson is playing about as well as humanly possible considering the state of Louisville's football program. 

If Denver doesn't take QB, there are some good options. There is a bunch of OL talent in this draft I think we could benefit from. There's also a lot of DL talent that we could use. 

3 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Tim Tebow also won titles. He wasn't a "winner" in the NFL. Jackson is playing about as well as humanly possible considering the state of Louisville's football program. 

If Denver doesn't take QB, there are some good options. There is a bunch of OL talent in this draft I think we could benefit from. There's also a lot of DL talent that we could use. 

Can we really say that Tebow wasn't a winner?  He led the Broncos to the playoffs and won a playoff game.  But, I get your point.  There is something special about Watson though...that whole "it" factor is real.  

2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Can we really say that Tebow wasn't a winner?  He led the Broncos to the playoffs and won a playoff game.  But, I get your point.  There is something special about Watson though...that whole "it" factor is real.  

Tebow wasn't a winner? That was pretty much the only box he checked. 

1 hour ago, bMiller031 said:

Tebow wasn't a winner? That was pretty much the only box he checked. 

He wasn't a winner in the NFL. He went 7-4 and then was out of the league after a few years. Yes, he has a winning record, but him being a winner in college didn't translate to this immense NFL success.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

He wasn't a winner in the NFL. He went 7-4 and then was out of the league after a few years. Yes, he has a winning record, but him being a winner in college didn't translate to this immense NFL success.

Okay.  Well, what has Lamar Jackson done?  What can he do in the NFL that Chad Kelly can't do? 

At this point, unless we decide to make a very risky trade up for Darnold or Rosen (Wont happen IMO), I would lean towards signing a QB and drafting a RT. The kid from Notre Dame is my pick for RT. Tough, polished, athletic enough, plug-and-play guy.

Unless we can get a franchise QB, we really are forced to target a RT IMO.

2 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

At this point, unless we decide to make a very risky trade up for Darnold or Rosen (Wont happen IMO), I would lean towards signing a QB and drafting a RT. The kid from Notre Dame is my pick for RT. Tough, polished, athletic enough, plug-and-play guy.

Unless we can get a franchise QB, we really are forced to target a RT IMO.

I would argue we are going to be picking WAY too high to take an RT. If we pick Top 10 and took an RT I would probably explode.

I don't think this team is particularly good, so I wouldn't be surprised if we're in that 5-10 range. If that's the case, I would think Barkley could even be an option. We need to get back to accumulating talent as the board falls. The idea that OT should absolutely be the pick is what got us to this situation in the first place.

I agree we have to stop going for need over overall BPA (except if a team is set at QB, then going QB again is dumb - but that's not the case with us lol).  We're not 1 player away.  That's 2014-2015 thinking, and as @broncos67 pointed out, it's what got us into this mess in the first place.

Having said that, I have no problem if we go T if that is who truly who is overall BPA on the board.  LT, RT, it doesn't matter nearly as much - even C/G are key positions.  It's no coincidence the best teams are those with amazing OL's, save for SEA & NE, whose QB's are just elite at making up for their OL issues - and I'd say NE was a top 10 OL last year, to boot.   @BroncosFan2010 is correct in that a T might actually be the best guy on the board, depending on where we pick.   We're not getting into the top 6-7, that tier is set, and likely with games vs. NYJ, CIN & IND, I think the prediction of a 7-9 season that guys like @AnAngryAmerican made is very likely to come to fruition - that is not getting us a top 10 pick, early-mid teens most likely.  T is definitely in play as overall BPA there.

Just gotta wait and let the board shake out, and see where we are, but agree Elway has to go back into 2011-13 mode, where you just accumulate best talent overall, not worry about positions.   Too soon to say what that looks like in Rd 1.

I think, personally, QB, OT, DL, and LB have to be the options for us at a 10,000 foot view right now. Maybe an outside shot at RB depending on who was available. If we become a total dumpster fire, I'm not sure I wouldn't consider Saquon Barkley for example.

I would argue we are going to be picking WAY too high to take an RT. If we pick Top 10 and took an RT I would probably explode.

I don't think this team is particularly good, so I wouldn't be surprised if we're in that 5-10 range. If that's the case, I would think Barkley could even be an option. We need to get back to accumulating talent as the board falls. The idea that OT should absolutely be the pick is what got us to this situation in the first place.

I don't think we are bad enough for a top 10 pick. If we are, I would certainly entertain the idea of Barkley. He is a stud.

But I also don't think taking a RT in the top 10 is too early. Look at how defenses operate now, they almost always move the most talented EDGE to a matchup against the worst OT on the opposing team. That makes RT just about as important as LT. I think the premium spots in this game are 1) QB 2) Pass Rushers 3) OT (Both LT & RT) 4) Secondary.

We are being decimated because of our RT play. Its how teams game plan to beat us. If there is a bookend, plug-and-play, elite RT available I would take him top 5. The play at that spot is running this season, and impacting the team more than our poor ILB play, poor LG play, poor WR3 and TE play. Only QB play has been arguable as impactful on this 3-4 season as RT. Its just KILLING us.

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The good news is we're going to have a lot of draft ammo. We have an extra 4th from the Niners for Kapri and an extra 5th from the Falcons for Sambrailo. We will also likely get one or two compensatory selections. 

And if the season ended today we would have the 12th overall pick

The issue is those 3 games vs. IND/CIN/Jets.   We have the toughest schedule out of the entire NFL, but hard to see us losing any of those games, as bad as our O is right now, the struggles on O to level out vs. mediocre teams.   But say we still only win 2 of those 3, not hard to see us scratching out 2 more wins out of the rest of 9 games left with the D we've got...so your 7-9 scenario really makes a 12-14 pick the best case. 

Archived