2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

Just now, paul-mac said:

There also that weird rumor that the FO has been upset with Demaryius Thomas' performance since he converted to a vegan diet and are considering shopping him in the offseason.

There's nothing this team can do about DT, IMO. You ain't moving that contract without attaching a solid pick. And as a rebuilding team you just can't afford to do that. I think you gotta live with that deal, unfortunately. 

Sanders? You can probably get a mid round pick. 

37 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Pure garbage piece.  ABSOLUTE garbage.  

Why:

1.  Voiding the deal was only an option in Feb 2017.  Not with a trade or in this offseason.  . 

2.  Once you void a deal you don’t get comp picks.  Like we didn’t get comp picks for opting out of Okung’s deal.    Does the guy even understand how comp picks work?  

Given those 2 foundation principles the author whiffed on anything else written there is highly suspect.   I know it’s MHR but come on.  

DT won’t be worth his 2019 salary if we don’t have a good QB.  And then the dead money is almost gone so we can make a decision.  But again he’s not even close to our problem (or Sanders) right now.  Or in 2018. 

QB. OL. TE.  3rd WR.  Those are our problem areas on O.   We do need to think WR beyond 2018 though that’s legit.   We should definitely be thinking WR long term beyond just 3rd WR.  But neither DT or Sanders are the problem.  They are just wasted with the O talent we have around them.  

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

Oh I agree just wondering what their issue is with his diet and what they think it has done to him?

Supposedly the team thinks he’s lost strength because of it.

On that note, DT used to be very good at catching passes with players draped all over him, he also was very difficult to bring down after the catch....both areas have regressed this season so the team may be onto something. 

34 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Supposedly the team thinks he’s lost strength because of it.

On that note, DT used to be very good at catching passes with players draped all over him, he also was very difficult to bring down after the catch....both areas have regressed this season so the team may be onto something. 

Was he? I've felt that he's never been an elite WR due to his inability to win battles against corners. I've always thought he needed separation to make plays for the most part.

I think his issue is simply all the nagging injuries and the physicality of the game catching up to him. He's not getting any separation. Hard to judge him with the total crap we have at QB, but I think his days as a 1,000 yard receiver are over. 

32 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Was he? I've felt that he's never been an elite WR due to his inability to win battles against corners. I've always thought he needed separation to make plays for the most part.

I think his issue is simply all the nagging injuries and the physicality of the game catching up to him. He's not getting any separation. Hard to judge him with the total crap we have at QB, but I think his days as a 1,000 yard receiver are over. 

I mean he was never Brandon Marshall in that area, but he was still pretty good.  He used to box a DB out and catch the ball away from his body and not even tuck it on his way to the ground.  He was never a great go up and win a jump ball type of WR though.  He used to be money on a slant route though defended or not.

Make no mistake, DT has been one of the greatest WRs in Bronco history, but it’s always felt like he had another level of dominance that could have been reached, but never was.

14 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I mean he was never Brandon Marshall in that area, but he was still pretty good.  He used to box a DB out and catch the ball away from his body and not even tuck it on his way to the ground.  He was never a great go up and win a jump ball type of WR though.  He used to be money on a slant route though defended or not.

Make no mistake, DT has been one of the greatest WRs in Bronco history, but it’s always felt like he had another level of dominance that could have been reached, but never was.

4 reasons for this:

1.  His running style - he made it look so effortless when he hit that extra gear, or highpointed balls, or made hand grabs.   When you are a glider, it always looks like max effort isn't being put out.   Sanders is more sudden, herky-jerky - which also makes it look like he's putting out max effort.   That's a huge reason to the perception difference IMO.

2.  His one weakness was that he was (and still is) vulnerable to press-man coverage.  That makes him look soft.

3.  His willingness to play nicked up, while admirable, also makes it frustrating to see him on the bench, or step away for plays.   When the reality is that most WR's probably would have taken games off.   DT shows up to play 16 games a year, even if he's dinged up.   

4.  The drops - let's face it, a guy this talented shouldn't be dropping as many balls as he does.  Crazy part is he also makes catches no one should be expecting either, but that sets a huge standard to live up to.

Finally, DT isn't a true alpha WR, that makes the O hum on his own, the way an Antonio Brown or OBJ do - he needs a QB who can get him the ball, he doesn't demand it, nor does the O feed him the way it does those guys (although PFM's O fed him regularly with the bubble screens).   It's made his contract less of a bargain as in the PFM days, for sure - but the lack of production isn't on him (or for that matter, Sanders).  Now, for sure, he's lost a half-step, and he's not able to break big gains after the catch - but let's be honest, part of that is that the D knows to key on him and Sanders.   Hard to break out when you're drawing the entire D's attention (as Sanders is).

Again, he's getting to a stage where after 2018, he won't be worth his salary, and the dead money makes parting ways very possible.  But like Sanders, DT isn't the problem at all.  Frankly, if we were without both, we'd realize just how much they've meant to our O - we just don't appreciate it much now, because they're not enough to overcome our miserable O, not by a longshot.

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

4 reasons for this:

1.  His running style - he made it look so effortless when he hit that extra gear, or highpointed balls, or made hand grabs.   When you are a glider, it always looks like max effort isn't being put out.   Sanders is more sudden, herky-jerky - which also makes it look like he's putting out max effort.   That's a huge reason to the perception difference IMO.

2.  His one weakness was that he was (and still is) vulnerable to press-man coverage.  That makes him look soft.

3.  His willingness to play nicked up, while admirable, also makes it frustrating to see him on the bench, or step away for plays.   When the reality is that most WR's probably would have taken games off.   DT shows up to play 16 games a year, even if he's dinged up.   

4.  The drops - let's face it, a guy this talented shouldn't be dropping as many balls as he does.  Crazy part is he also makes catches no one should be expecting either, but that sets a huge standard to live up to.

Finally, DT isn't a true alpha WR, that makes the O hum on his own, the way an Antonio Brown or OBJ do - he needs a QB who can get him the ball, he doesn't demand it, nor does the O feed him the way it does those guys (although PFM's O fed him regularly with the bubble screens).   It's made his contract less of a bargain as in the PFM days, for sure - but the lack of production isn't on him (or for that matter, Sanders).

Again, he's getting to a stage where after 2018, he won't be worth his salary, and the dead money makes parting ways very possible.  But like Sanders, DT isn't the problem at all.  Frankly, if we were without both, we'd realize just how much they've meant to our O - we just don't appreciate it much now, because they're not enough to overcome our miserable O not by a longshot.

It never made sense signing sand4ere once Manning left. Because we simply haven't had the qb play to make the wrs the highest paid players on our offense.

It's just an oversight by Elway evaluating talent. Elway wanted the wrs to help Lynch grow but Lynch is a lost cause.

Which makes the next guy that comes in at qb more likely to fail. Especially if we get rid of both DT and Sandere. The only positive thing is wrs value has generally gone down especially Watkins going for what he did. This hurts Dts value and Sanders.

2 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Having someone capable of throwing the ball to him would help.

Being a vegan has to hard as hell...there is nothing easy about forgoing a big juicy cheeseburger and fries.... I have tried.  It was easier quitting smoking. 

Archived