2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

7 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Even if we get cravens?

Cravens is a hybrid S/LB player.  We need an actual 3-down ILB.  And frankly the Davis re-sign was a mistake.  The best argument people had was that we had no one left.   In an ideal world Davis and Marshall are both expendable after this year. 

The team has to build depth to be more than just starter-deep.  And realistically 2019+ in mind.   Even with a Cravens trade we need 2 long term ILB in a perfect world.   Marshall could bounce back but once the injuries start at that position it’s frightening how quickly it robs them of their necessary skills.  

16 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Curious what you guys think of the TE position this year. I'm honestly a pretty big fan of Dallas Goedert and would not be opposed to drafting him in Round 2.

Love his skill set.   I think he’s the most talented of the big 3.  Hurst being 25 a big minus with the redshirt year factored in.    Gesicki is an all catch no block TE so it’s hard to justify that.  Goedert on the other hand is young has elite athleticism and production (main problem is competition faced - but was dominant in the Senior Bowl scrimmages).  Taking him  at 2.8 would be close to overall BPA.   I’d have no objections if we went that route.  He has th Ertz / Kelce skill set. 

Having said that I seriously doubt Elway goes there.   Simply because going TE pretty much commits a redshirt year.   And that’s not in Elway’s DNA.   It should be but it hasn’t been how he’s tackled skill positions at all.   Even when he drafted Lynch he didn’t rule out him trying to compete for the starter’s job (which was unbelievably ridiculous but it speaks to his mjmdset).   On the other hand he does have that craft physical ceiling (unlike the guys Elway has reached for Goedert has actually shown football skills lol).  So there is that. 

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Love his skill set.   I think he’s the most talented of the big 3.  Hurst being 25 a big minus with the redshirt year factored in.    Gesicki is an all catch no block TE so it’s hard to justify that.  Goedert on the other hand is young has elite athleticism and production (main problem is competition faced - but was dominant in the Senior Bowl scrimmages).  Taking him  at 2.8 would be close to overall BPA.   I’d have no objections if we went that route.  He has th Ertz / Kelce skill set. 

Having said that I seriously doubt Elway goes there.   Simply because going TE pretty much commits a redshirt year.   And that’s not in Elway’s DNA.   It should be but it hasn’t been how he’s tackled skill positions at all.   Even when he drafted Lynch he didn’t rule out him trying to compete for the starter’s job (which was unbelievably ridiculous but it speaks to his mjmdset).   On the other hand he does have that craft physical ceiling (unlike the guys Elway has reached for Goedert has actually shown football skills lol).  So there is that. 

Agreed, I love Hurst, though.  Bradley Chubb and Hayden Hurst are my two favorite players in this draft.  Hurst plays the game like he’s on fire and has a unique ability to make defenders miss.  He can lineup like a traditional TE where while he is a bit undersized his effort makes him a solid blocking TE, in the slot, and in the backfield.  He’s money in the screen game because of his run after catch (something Kubiak loves), has enough size/speed to exploit the seam, and can be a gadget player with TE handoffs/shovel passes.  Not to mention he has a hell of an arm (former minor league pitcher) which SC utilized on a few occasions.

Honestly, if there is a TE Kubiak falls for its Hurst.  He can work all over the field and whose game is more like an H-backs, like an Owen Daniels, Casey James, or Joel Dreesen.  But Hurst is even more physical and talented.

Not that Denver would draft him, but I could see at least Kubiak being all over Hurst.  In terms of skill set I see him quite similar to Aaron Hernandez, with a special blend of size, power, versatility, but he isn’t your traditional TE.

Denver had visits with quite a few LB prospects, most of whom I quite like. Josey Jewell is a player. If he's there at 71, count me in. I also saw we met with Fred Warner from BYU. I started reading more about him and wow, color me quite intrigued by that one. He sounds like he could be a hell of a weapon for us.

On 4/2/2018 at 5:11 PM, germ-x said:

Agreed, I love Hurst, though.  Bradley Chubb and Hayden Hurst are my two favorite players in this draft.  Hurst plays the game like he’s on fire and has a unique ability to make defenders miss.  He can lineup like a traditional TE where while he is a bit undersized his effort makes him a solid blocking TE, in the slot, and in the backfield.  He’s money in the screen game because of his run after catch (something Kubiak loves), has enough size/speed to exploit the seam, and can be a gadget player with TE handoffs/shovel passes.  Not to mention he has a hell of an arm (former minor league pitcher) which SC utilized on a few occasions.

Honestly, if there is a TE Kubiak falls for its Hurst.  He can work all over the field and whose game is more like an H-backs, like an Owen Daniels, Casey James, or Joel Dreesen.  But Hurst is even more physical and talented.

Not that Denver would draft him, but I could see at least Kubiak being all over Hurst.  In terms of skill set I see him quite similar to Aaron Hernandez, with a special blend of size, power, versatility, but he isn’t your traditional TE.

I can see new england drafting hurst if Gronk leaves  

Interesting little tidbit.  Baker Mayfield is not going to the Draft. 

Two possibilities. The Baker machine thinks he is above it. 

Or...My prediction all along, he is falling and the thought of sitting at that table is too much for him.

I do think he is falling personally and when I just saw that he made that announcement I wonder even more?

Also. Leighton VE just got an invite?  Last year the Broncos strangely had G Bowles and his famous infant there. could this be the trade back for the BPA at 12 and LVE at 21?  He and his family bus show up in place of the Bolles baby?  

Love me some random theories.

Archived