2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

10 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

I don’t understand why Q Nelson at 8 is such and amazing pick for Chicago at 8 and a reach for the Broncos at 5?

Frankly, the kid deserves 5 money and would be a wonderful player to add at a huge position of need and we have instant depth with Connor who can play OG and Center. Our ****ty line becomes a position of strength. I love Chubb too, but we can get a depth player in Round 2 and 3. 

I want to come out of the draft with, assuming we stay at 5 and don’t draft a QB, OG, ILB, WR, DT hybrid and a RB.

starting with Nelson at 5 would be fine by me. 

I don't think he's a reach at 5, but it's absolutely fair to note that the # of talented players at guard is greater than the number of talented players at DE in this draft. I don't think we should aim to come out of this draft with a bunch of specific positions, FWIW, even though we probably will. We need talent across the board. Could use help at QB, RB, WR, TE, OT, OG, NT, LB, CB. That's just an undeniable fact right now. Any help to those positions would be welcome.

19 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

I don’t understand why Q Nelson at 8 is such and amazing pick for Chicago at 8 and a reach for the Broncos at 5?

Frankly, the kid deserves 5 money and would be a wonderful player to add at a huge position of need and we have instant depth with Connor who can play OG and Center. Our ****ty line becomes a position of strength. I love Chubb too, but we can get a depth player in Round 2 and 3. 

I want to come out of the draft with, assuming we stay at 5 and don’t draft a QB, OG, ILB, WR, DT hybrid and a RB.

starting with Nelson at 5 would be fine by me. 

Nelson would be an amazing pick at 8 because he'd be unanimously the BPA on the board by then.  He's not necessarily a reach at 5 but there's a very clear division of opinion on who overall BPA is there if all 3 non-QB's are on the board, or even if 2 are.  Chubb/Nelson/Barkley are in my top 5 overall board, with Rosen/Darnold.   Given that QB is going early though, it's not like Nelson is likely the only guy in that tier left.  So there's an actual choice of very similar talent.   There shouldn't be if he's available at 8.

Even if we think 4 QB's are going early, going 8 means someone let him fall at 7, it really should only be those 3 at the nonQB tier (Derwyn James and Minkah are really good, and they are in the next tier, but I'd have them clearly behind the top 3).    It's easy to see why people would say 8 is a fantastic bargain for Nelson, and yet 5 there's a huge split in opinion.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Nelson would be an amazing pick at 8 because he'd be unanimously the BPA on the board by then.  He's not necessarily a reach at 5 but there's a very clear division of opinion on who overall BPA is there if all 3 non-QB's are on the board, or even if 2 are.  Chubb/Nelson/Barkley are in my top 5 overall board, with Rosen/Darnold.   Given that QB is going early though, it's not like Nelson is likely the only guy in that tier left.  So there's an actual choice of very similar talent.   There shouldn't be if he's available at 8.

Even if we think 4 QB's are going early, going 8 means someone let him fall at 7, it really should only be those 3 at the nonQB tier (Derwyn James and Minkah are really good, and they are in the next tier, but I'd have them clearly behind the top 3).    It's easy to see why people would say 8 is a fantastic bargain for Nelson, and yet 5 there's a huge split in opinion.

So it just means at 8, there is going to be fantastic value no matter who they take because of the predicted run on QBs. One of the 5 BPA is there no matter what, so we could say that about any of them. If 4 Qb's go on the top 6, 3 of the top 5 will be there at 8.  And Chicago has need at RB, OG, DE, and CB/S. 

I am fine with the 5 players he mentioned above, I would just argue that 5 is as good a value for the BPA on your board as any one left at 8.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

I am completely fine taking Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson at #5. 

That's exactly where I come down as well. As I said the other day, the only things we could do that I would have a problem with would be taking Mayfield or trading up. 

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

Me but Mayfield over Allen 

Same. I'm going to lose my sh!t if we take Allen at 5 over Rosen, Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, or even Mayfield.

IMO, there is no more worrying concern in a prospect than accuracy concerns in a quarterback. 

5 hours ago, germ-x said:

Scherff is a great comparison, one I’ve thought of myself.  Damn near identical players.  I read an article saying no OG had been selected in the top 5 in the modern draft era, which isn’t true, Scherff was listed OT at Iowa, but was drafted with every intention of playing OG in the NFL.

Actually Scherff isn't close. Just the nearest I can think of. Nelson's larger, stronger, meaner, quicker and a far better technician. Quite simply, he's the best college OG I've ever seen, no real comparisons. He has the ability to be the best that ever played the game. Outside of Barkley I don't see another player in this class that you can say that about.

I know we won't agree but it will be fun to revisit this in a year or two.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Actually Scherff isn't close. Just the nearest I can think of. Nelson's larger, stronger, meaner, quicker and a far better technician. Quite simply, he's the best college OG I've ever seen, no real comparisons. He has the ability to be the best that ever played the game. Outside of Barkley I don't see another player in this class that you can say that about.

I know we won't agree but it will be fun to revisit this in a year or two.

Scherff is a complete freak for his size in terms of quickness and explosion, even more so than Nelson.  Nelson has size/strength on Scherff.  As far as technique I have no idea, both came from elite college programs along the offensive line. Whose the nastier player? probably still a toss up.  I remember watching Scherff that year and he was nasty almost to a point of recklessness (similar to Brian Price).  Scherff is a top 3 OG in the NFL as well.

As far as the bolded, scares the hell out of me. Every 4-5 years an OL gets that label and it has yet to workout.

So, realistically I feel with Case we have another year to draft a QB, who are the 2019 QBs that look to be available ? If we draft BPA based on anyone other than QB and fill 4-5 needs, we can go all in next year while seeing impact from our draft this year.  

3 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

So, realistically I feel with Case we have another year to draft a QB, who are the 2019 QBs that look to be available ? If we draft BPA based on anyone other than QB and fill 4-5 needs, we can go all in next year while seeing impact from our draft this year.  

Drew Lock from mizzou. Possibly Jacob Eason but I’m not sure if he is sitting out at UW. Stidham has shown flashes but is an underclassman as has Herbert from Oregon. Definitely not as good as this year.

32 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Need based drafting is how we got into this mess.   We haven’t been able to fill need in year 1 for any more than 1-2 spots since 2011.   4-5 is a pipe dream.  Rookies take time.  The NO 2017 draft happens 1x a decade if not longer and it’s also with teams that take the overall BPA approach (witness NO had Reuben Foster on the phone for 1.32 when SF traded up to take him at 1.31 - then went off the big board and took Ramczyk 1.32, and went LB 3rd round with Anzalone).    We have no reason to believe Elway has even gone back to BPA style drafting...so hoping for 4-5 needs hit right away is just unrealistic beyond hope.

And the news gets worse for 2019’s QB draft class.   It’s unimpressive to say the least.   If we don’t go QB this year I’d rather we just play Keenum out 2 years than reach badly for a Lynch type redux in 2019.  

4 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Drew Lock from mizzou. Possibly Jacob Eason but I’m not sure if he is sitting out at UW. Stidham has shown flashes but is an underclassman as has Herbert from Oregon. Definitely not as good as this year.

Eason isn’t eligible to play.  He’s sitting for 2018.   It’s Lock and that’s pretty much anyone with even half as much enthusiasm as the top 3-4 this year.    If ppl want Lock it’s likely to be even more expensive than to get one of the top 4 guys this year (unless you have a top 3 pick).   No thanks.  

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Eason isn’t eligible to play.  He’s sitting for 2018.   It’s Lock and that’s pretty much anyone with even half as much enthusiasm as the top 3-4 this year.  

And lock is still in that 57% completion range. Although he has gone up each year. 

Archived