2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

49 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Clayton Thorson from Northwestern has received some hype.  

45 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Herbert is my favorite. But none of them even come close to Rosen or Darnold as prospects IMO. 

And I'd argue that they probably haven't received even Allen or Jackson-levels of love in their year-before-the-draft.  And this is when the hype is already supposed to be there.    

I don't favor reaching for a QB if he's not a franchise-ceiling guy and has a reasonable floor to be at least league-average - so I'm sold on Darnold/Rosen, and I'll stick to that.   But I also think if people think this year is a debate on reaching, next year is far, far worse.   In that respect, I'd much rather we spend a 3.99/4th round pick on a Lauletta/Mike White than have to consider investing in 2019 if we don't go QB 1.5 - the price for the same level of talent is probably going to be much worse in terms of reach.  I'm still hopeful Rosen at 1.5 has life, though.   That would be a dream come true.

18 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Not in his league. The difference between Nelson and the 2nd best OLineman is huge. Much larger than the gap between Chubb and the #2 DE.

I don’t disagree with that really, but I’m the context of this team’s needs I think Chubb will be a bigger difference maker. 

At our D’s peak it was the presence of Malik Jackson and Ware that really allowed Miller to go off. This D still is and should be our identity and Chubb helps immensely to get us back to our bread and butter. 

This is takes nothing away from our woes on O and how dreadful the line has been. If we take Nelson I will honestly be thrilled to see what his impact will be.

At this point I just think we can still find a difference maker at guard in the later rounds, while it will be much harder to find an immediate impact pass rusher. 

18 minutes ago, Zukhyubern said:

I don’t disagree with that really, but I’m the context of this team’s needs I think Chubb will be a bigger difference maker. 

At our D’s peak it was the presence of Malik Jackson and Ware that really allowed Miller to go off. This D still is and should be our identity and Chubb helps immensely to get us back to our bread and butter. 

This is takes nothing away from our woes on O and how dreadful the line has been. If we take Nelson I will honestly be thrilled to see what his impact will be.

At this point I just think we can still find a difference maker at guard in the later rounds, while it will be much harder to find an immediate impact pass rusher. 

Now that's a conversation we can have. I get a bit torn here. I love good trench play on both sides of the LOS. IMO it's totally under rated. Chubb would be a huge addition to our defense. A little more weight and strength and he's the Malik Jackson our D has been missing but man does that kid have talent.

Nelson I believe is the best OL prospect I've ever seen. For guys that play with their hands in the dirt he's massive, mean and quick. I always look at just a few categories from the combine that translate well to line play. Bench Press, 3 cone and short shuttle. For Chubb, its 24 reps, 7.37 in the 3 cone and 4.41 in the short shuttle. Impressive stuff! It really just confirms what you see on tape. Also got great hands and can really shock and turn a guy.

Nelson seems from another planet. He outweighs Chubb by 60lbs and turned in 35 reps, 7.65 3 cone and 4.62 short shuttle. That's almost bizarre for a man that size. He will redefine the position.

Anyway, if we decide to go with Chubb over Nelson I won't go totally nuts. Just give me at least one of 'em.

Oh yeah, I think Nelson would have the greater impact right now. He'll stonewall the best DT's and 3 tech DE's in the league.

52 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

How does will hernandez numbers and measurables compare to Nelson I'm curious.

Almost identical.  Nelson taller with longer arms.  But weight wise 325 for Nelson 327 for Hernandez, 319 for Scherff (Scherff had the longest arms of the 3). I’m just gonna throw Brandon Scherff into this mix for the hell of it.

Hernandez ran 5.15, terrific number for size.  Scherff was 5.05 (crazy # for size). Yet to find Nelson’s 40 appears he skipped it at both the combine and pro day.

Hernandez 37 bench reps to Nelson’s 35, Scherff 22. Hernandez 24 inch vert to Nelson’s 26.5, Scherff 32.  Hernandez 104 broad jump to Nelson’s 105, Scherff 107. Hernandez 7.59 3 cone to Nelson’s 7.65, Scherff 7.18 (crazy # for size).  20 yard shuttle Hernandez 4.70 to Nelson’s 4.62, Scherff 4.57. 

As far as Hernandez/Nelson Hernandez is the slightly bigger player and based on strength, 3 cone, and short shuttle Nelson is only better than Hernandez in 1 category, the short shuttle.

20 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Almost identical.  Nelson taller with longer arms.  But weight wise 325 for Nelson 327 for Hernandez, 319 for Scherff (Scherff had the longest arms of the 3). I’m just gonna throw Brandon Scherff into this mix for the hell of it.

Hernandez ran 5.15, terrific number for size.  Scherff was 5.05 (crazy # for size). Yet to find Nelson’s 40 appears he skipped it at both the combine and pro day.

Hernandez 37 bench reps to Nelson’s 35, Scherff 22. Hernandez 24 inch vert to Nelson’s 26.5, Scherff 32.  Hernandez 104 broad jump to Nelson’s 105, Scherff 107. Hernandez 7.59 3 cone to Nelson’s 7.65, Scherff 7.18 (crazy # for size).  20 yard shuttle Hernandez 4.70 to Nelson’s 4.62, Scherff 4.57. 

As far as Hernandez/Nelson Hernandez is the slightly bigger player and based on strength, 3 cone, and short shuttle Nelson is only better than Hernandez in 1 category, the short shuttle.

Nelson pulled his hammy in the 40, why he didn't register any #'s, then decided against Pro Day, as it wasn't worth it (since he was a surefire top 10 prospect, hard to blame him).

EDIT:  Wait, wrong guy.  Need sleep. 

EDIT#2:  Yes, he did pull it at Combine...man I really do need sleep.

Just now, Broncofan said:

Nelson pulled his hammy in the 40, why he didn't register any #'s, then decided against Pro Day, as it wasn't worth it (since he was a surefire top 10 prospect, hard to blame him).

I see.  Don’t blame him in the slightest.

12 hours ago, germ-x said:

Great comparison.  I think Hernandez will be a solid Pro.  Makes me hope we can land Chubb/Barkley at #5 and snag Hernandez at the end of Rd1 or early 2nd.  

13 hours ago, Broncofan said:

EDIT:  Wait, wrong guy.  Need sleep. 

EDIT#2:  Yes, he did pull it at Combine...man I really do need sleep.

You can sleep when you're dead.

2 hours ago, IronJ said:

Great comparison.  I think Hernandez will be a solid Pro.  Makes me hope we can land Chubb/Barkley at #5 and snag Hernandez at the end of Rd1 or early 2nd.  

I did this in the eight man GM draft 

1.5- Chubb

1.27- Hernandez

3.71- Donte Jackson (the good big corners were gone by this pick and I don’t trust Brock manning the slot. Jackson is feisty and plays well in the slot letting Roby and Harris stay outside)

45 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I did this in the eight man GM draft 

1.5- Chubb

1.27- Hernandez

3.71- Donte Jackson (the good big corners were gone by this pick and I don’t trust Brock manning the slot. Jackson is feisty and plays well in the slot letting Roby and Harris stay outside)

That would be excellent. What was the trade? 

1 hour ago, Zukhyubern said:

That would be excellent. What was the trade? 

Gave up more than I wanted. But none of the guys I thought were starting guard material right away were making it to 40. Price went 30, Daniels 33, Williams went 26, and so on.

I gave 40,99,106 for 27.

So I gave up according to the trade value chart 686 points for 680. I think it worked out. Also getting a fifth year option on Hernandez with how much these guards are making now is an added plus.

Archived