2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Between Falk, White, Lauetta, even Rudolph. I feel like with this class more than others many of the mid round qbs have more intangibles than the top guys. Maybe, that is manufactured publicity who knows.

I think Denver gets a qb at some point Paxton will not be on the roster much longer.

all this and he goes to the Senior Bowl and wins the MVP.  Sot it just provides further evidence that where there is smoke there is fire.  He screams Patriots to me.  Which F's up my final Mock

43 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

But that still gives us a 4.5M dead cap hit. I expect little if anything from him but keeping him on the roster with a tiny chance of putting it together is better IMO than a 2019 R6-7 pick and a 4.5M dead cap hit.

I see very little similarity between these two. Washington is closer to Devery Henderson than he is Deymarius Thomas.

That’s a name I had forgotten about. Henderson was more explosive. And Washington is more rocked up but similar games. 

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Re: WR, if we go there, totally agree that we have to think long-term DT/Sanders replacement.  It's why I'd just take guys who can help and play inside/outside.   Gallup is a favorite for the value, because he's a Rd3-4 target.   Anthony Miller is another favorite, although he'd likely have to go early Rd3 at best, might have to move up for him.   Elway's not had a visit with Miller, though, so that seems like a pipe dream - whereas DEN has shown clear interest in Gallup.   I hope we go there too.    We probably have to give C-Henderson another full year to show us if he can be part of our future, Day 2 picks deserve 2 full seasons to show what they can do....the problem was Elway invested 2 picks last year in pretty much identical WR types.  We can't invest another late pick in a similar type (gadget, speed-great, actual skill-poor WR).

And with Kubiak back in the mix as one of the decision-makers, I expect Gallup to be a prime target for us. Gary loves him some Rams

21 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

And with Kubiak back in the mix as one of the decision-makers, I expect Gallup to be a prime target for us. Gary loves him some Rams

As long as Elway doesn’t overreach for Gallup though this has a decent shot of working out.   Not like Gallup is a tweener like most of our Ram picks in the past.   

2 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Wouldn't mind also taking a flyer on John Kelly in round 4 or 5.

I suspect he'll go sooner than Rd5...and he's one of the guys I prefer to Ronald Jones, especially when you factor in the later pick cost.    He's not Kamara V2...but his meh Combine is pushing his stock down.   It doesn't match his tape, though, and I love the versatility.   Unlike Kamara, though, he doesn't have the home run speed, but he's got similar versatility (just wish he was a little quicker through the hole).

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I suspect he'll go sooner than Rd5...and he's one of the guys I prefer to Ronald Jones, especially when you factor in the later pick cost.    He's not Kamara V2...but his meh Combine is pushing his stock down.   It doesn't match his tape, though, and I love the versatility.   Unlike Kamara, though, he doesn't have the home run speed, but he's got similar versatility (just wish he was a little quicker through the hole).

I hear good things about the boise state rb too. What about the Auburn Rb?

If we get Kallen Ballage I'll freak out.

6 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I hear good things about the boise state rb too. What about the Auburn Rb?

If we get Kallen Ballage I'll freak out.

Ballage is the exact opposite of Kelly though - great combine skills.....awful tape.   That's a huge red flag.    I mean, Christine Michael level huge.    Johnson's problem is that he's not a great pass catcher...and he's got a ton of mileage.  I dislike the first part a lot, the last really worries me on injury risk during the rookie contract years.   Before you ask, Royce Freeman has the same mileage issue (and the fact the lanes in ORE's system are a mile wide, so hard to know how he navigates the jump to the NFL).   Kelly's falling in this group, and man, I think he's head and shoulders above this tier.   Jones belongs in this tier IMO.  Why I don't want him because he's being lumped in with much better RB talents IMO (Chubb, Michel, Penny).

Penny's going to likely go as a top 5 RB, and deservedly so.   Kelly is likely to fall to the 6-10 range, where guys like Ballage and Johnson will go.  I'd much prefer Kelly in that group.   Guice is going to likely be gone before we pick again at 2.40, and that's fine - I just don't want Ronald Jones.  Chubb, Michel, Penny in Rd2-3, or Kelly in the 3.99-4th range would be my ideal.   

If Denver is going to take a RB, they need to take someone who is an instant contributor and who is supremely talented. None of these "fliers" on mid-late round backs. They end up there for a reason. We need a bell-cow. Look at how some of the best offenses operate: they have a dynamic RB. We need to either be all in, or not. This isn't the ZBS days of old. Good teams are now investing in the RB position. We should be doing the same.

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Ballage is the exact opposite of Kelly though - great combine skills.....awful tape.   That's a huge red flag.    I mean, Christine Michael level huge.    Johnson's problem is that he's not a great pass catcher...and he's got a ton of mileage.  I dislike the first part a lot, the last really worries me on injury risk during the rookie contract years.   Before you ask, Royce Freeman has the same mileage issue (and the fact the lanes in ORE's system are a mile wide, so hard to know how he navigates the jump to the NFL).   Kelly's falling in this group, and man, I think he's head and shoulders above this tier.   Jones belongs in this tier IMO.  Why I don't want him because he's being lumped in with much better RB talents IMO (Chubb, Michel, Penny).

Penny's going to likely go as a top 5 RB, and deservedly so.   Kelly is likely to fall to the 6-10 range, where guys like Ballage and Johnson will go.  I'd much prefer Kelly in that group.   Guice is going to likely be gone before we pick again at 2.40, and that's fine - I just don't want Ronald Jones.  Chubb, Michel, Penny in Rd2-3, or Kelly in the 3.99-4th range would be my ideal.   

Kerryon Johnson's problem isn't necessarily mileage. He was only the start for the last year and a half and didn't see 300 carries in a season. The problem with Johnson is he runs hard as a truck but he's only 6' 210 and built like wes welker.

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Kerryon Johnson's problem isn't necessarily mileage. He was only the start for the last year and a half and didn't see 300 carries in a season. The problem with Johnson is he runs hard as a truck but he's only 6' 210 and built like wes welker.

That's a fair comment overall on usage - but his playing style, even 300+ touches for 2 years with a system like AUB, the risk he breaks down is much higher.   Upright runner, violent - Marion Barber comes to mind....and when those guys break down, it's mega-quick, rookie deal longevity is no lock with styles like him, it's often a 2+ year bright-light, then burn-out deal.    Guys like him are why NFL RB careers are so short overall.

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

If Denver is going to take a RB, they need to take someone who is an instant contributor and who is supremely talented. None of these "fliers" on mid-late round backs. They end up there for a reason. We need a bell-cow. Look at how some of the best offenses operate: they have a dynamic RB. We need to either be all in, or not. This isn't the ZBS days of old. Good teams are now investing in the RB position. We should be doing the same.

You make sense. With Henderson and Booker on the roster we've already got two "fliers" on the roster.

Archived