Jump to content

Why can't the Redskins make good trades? Or end up on the win side of one?


Recommended Posts

For as long as I can remember, we never do well on any trade. Or at least I'm forgetting the ones we have.

Pretty sad, that we can't even get appropriate compensation for a 7x pro bowl borderline HOF tackle.

It's almost ridiculous, if it wasn't such a long trend for as long as I can remember.

Good God, Vikings get a 1st+ more for Diggs.

Miami gets multiple 1sts & a 2nd for LT Laremy Tunsil? I got to be honest...I didn't even know who he was, before being traded. Lol 🤔

Then we get a 5th for our #1 corner? Are you serious?

But this crap goes back years...

A 2nd & Champ Bailey (HOFer) for Portis.

A 2nd for McNabb?

Didn't we pay rent of a 2nd rounder for that dude from the Dolphins? Gets hurt for us, then goes back to the dolphins the following year? I mean....GOD! ☹️

I know there's much more, but I'm so pissed, that I'm drawing a blank.

Brunell

Anyways, can anyone tell me some good trades we've made? I can't remember...lol

I'm actually afraid to trade down from #2.

Me might give that TEAM all our draft picks...🙏

And I know 50% of ya, are gonna blame Bruce. But it's been going on way longer than him being here.

Is it a curse, bad luck...

Seriously, why do we suck at trades?

Edited by aceinthehouse
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

For as long as I can remember, we never do well on any trade. Or at least I'm forgetting the ones we have.

Pretty sad, that we can't even get appropriate compensation for a 7x pro bowl borderline HOF tackle.

It's almost ridiculous, if it wasn't such a long trend for as long as I can remember.

Good God, Vikings get a 1st+ more for Diggs.

Miami gets multiple 1sts & a 2nd for LT Laremy Tunsil? I got to be honest...I didn't even know who he was, before being traded. Lol 🤔

Then we get a 5th for our #1 corner? Are you serious?

But this crap goes back years...

A 2nd & Champ Bailey (HOFer) for Portis.

A 2nd for McNabb?

Didn't we pay rent of a 2nd rounder for that dude from the Dolphins? Gets hurt for us, then goes back to the dolphins the following year? I mean....GOD! ☹️

I know there's much more, but I'm so pissed, that I'm drawing a blank.

Brunell

Anyways, can anyone tell me some good trades we've made? I can't remember...lol

I'm actually afraid to trade down from #2.

Me might give that TEAM all our draft picks...🙏

And I know 50% of ya, are gonna blame Bruce. But it's been going on way longer than him being here.

Is it a curse, bad luck...

Seriously, why do we suck at trades?

We have. And I think holding firm on comp for Trent is the right thing. But fixing this ship over time is what you have to hope we do. While we aren’t happy about the names so far as popular forum opinion if they produce and we look together by the end of this year on defense and Haskins and Terry and Guice grow we don’t know what we can be. But we have been burned on trades for a long time.
 

We didn’t have a person up top capable to make the smart trades like Bethard!!!! But hopefully the ones not liking this off-season get proven wrong and next year maybe we have something to cut them some slack on because they played safe and for this season I like it. If Dwayne doesn’t work your set up good without a expensive defense and pieces we have to hope can still produce when the next QB develops.

I like rolling back money this year to see what we can do with a different staff and scene behind closed doors. Only time will tell. But I just want to see this team look like a team!!! If we can be competitive in every game and we see young players grow and health improves going forward I think that could go a long way on opinions. We’re all burnt out with this team. But we’ve lost key reserves that blossum under coaches from Rivera’s tree. I’m going to give him a chance. I believe either way this team will be run better behind the scenes and in the locker room when he’s leaving. So I really hope he don’t get cute year 1. Learn the club mid season they will start seeing some fruits if the off-season isn’t completely scrapped

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brunnell was a bad trade for us. We gave up a 3rd & then gave him the huge contract we couldn’t get out of until 2007. In 04 we should have just rolled w/ Ramsey & a vet FA that we wouldn’t have had to trade for. Then, on that on top of that we made the mistake of not keeping Pierce and Ryan Clark - instead signing Archuletta - was a big mistake last decade. 

We did win the Santana Moss trade, but it still bothers me that we didn’t just draft Moss or Drew Brees in the 2001 draft over what Marty did in drafting Rod Gardner.

Man, we could have had Brees to Moss & Laverneus Coles for most of last decade.

Thai was one of the few against the Jason Taylor trade in 08 and he ended up being right about it, but it’s also true that Taylor got compartment syndrome which really affected his play. If Taylor had stayed we may have not drafted Orakpo in 09, so in that way it was a good thing he didn’t bc we got some good years out of Orakpo before his pec injury in 2012 & 2014.

But, Truthfully the main reason we haven’t been able to win trades the last several decades boils  down to our awful front office - Snyder, Allen & Cerrato. They’ve failed us, Gibbs & Shanahan to a lesser degree did too because they either went along with it or didn’t have enough sway to stop Snyder from doing some of the dumb/bad trades that Cerrato/Snyder & Snyder/Allen did the last 20 years.

Heck, we didn’t even win the Brad Johnson trade when we should of bc Snyder demanded we not keep him and instead that we go with Jeff George. If Johnson was our starting QB from 1999-2004, things are probably different and we would have won more, then in 2005 we could have drafted Aaron Rodgers.

The trade up that Gibbs/Cerrato did for Jason Campbell was stupid in 2005, they should have waited to see if he fell to them in round 2. The Bailey for Portis trade was done out of necessity, he wasn’t going to re-sign with the Redskins, but we wouldn’t have had to give up a 2nd round pick when we trade Bailey for Portis.

Oh well, can’t change it now, I just hope Rivera & Kyle Smith don’t do stupid trades, starting w/ this draft.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Agreed. And to accurately put the blame where it belongs? You only need two words

 

Daniel...

...Snyder

I mean, we’ve basically been ripped off in every trade since he took ownership. I can’t really think of one we came out on the better end unless you consider Santana Moss. But we should’ve just picked him anyway instead of Gardner and never gave up a top 15 pick for Coles. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, we’ve basically been ripped off in every trade since he took ownership. I can’t really think of one we came out on the better end unless you consider Santana Moss. But we should’ve just picked him anyway instead of Gardner and never gave up a top 15 pick for Coles. 

That is why trades of first round picks for franchise tag guys is stupid. Glad we at least figured that out. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/4/2020 at 8:06 PM, aceinthehouse said:

For as long as I can remember, we never do well on any trade. Or at least I'm forgetting the ones we have.

Pretty sad, that we can't even get appropriate compensation for a 7x pro bowl borderline HOF tackle.

It's almost ridiculous, if it wasn't such a long trend for as long as I can remember.

Good God, Vikings get a 1st+ more for Diggs.

Miami gets multiple 1sts & a 2nd for LT Laremy Tunsil? I got to be honest...I didn't even know who he was, before being traded. Lol 🤔

Then we get a 5th for our #1 corner? Are you serious?

But this crap goes back years...

A 2nd & Champ Bailey (HOFer) for Portis.

A 2nd for McNabb?

Didn't we pay rent of a 2nd rounder for that dude from the Dolphins? Gets hurt for us, then goes back to the dolphins the following year? I mean....GOD! ☹️

I know there's much more, but I'm so pissed, that I'm drawing a blank.

Brunell

Anyways, can anyone tell me some good trades we've made? I can't remember...lol

I'm actually afraid to trade down from #2.

Me might give that TEAM all our draft picks...🙏

And I know 50% of ya, are gonna blame Bruce. But it's been going on way longer than him being here.

Is it a curse, bad luck...

Seriously, why do we suck at trades?

giphy.gif

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

But we should’ve just picked him anyway instead of Gardner and never gave up a top 15 pick for Coles. 

Wonder what we would have done with that pick. That 1st round was pretty much terrible outside the top 10 (or top 11, as Marcus Trufant was a good player), with one notable exception. Troy Polamalu went #16, just a couple picks after our original pick at #13. 

Knowing the Redskins, they would have had a one-track mind approach (gotta get a WR) and drafted Bryant Johnson from PSU with that pick.  But they did draft Sean Taylor the next year, so they clearly were in the market for high-level safety play at that point. They had Ifeanyi Ohalete and Matt Bowen starting at S for them in 2003, so it would have been a real possibility. Interesting to think about. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, we’ve basically been ripped off in every trade since he took ownership. I can’t really think of one we came out on the better end unless you consider Santana Moss. But we should’ve just picked him anyway instead of Gardner and never gave up a top 15 pick for Coles. 

Heck, we could've drafted Coles in the 2000 draft and Moss in the 2001 draft and had them both all last decade, that’s why I said we would have had both and not lost that first round pick trading Coles.

Edited by turtle28
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Wonder what we would have done with that pick. That 1st round was pretty much terrible outside the top 10 (or top 11, as Marcus Trufant was a good player), with one notable exception. Troy Polamalu went #16, just a couple picks after our original pick at #13. 

Knowing the Redskins, they would have had a one-track mind approach (gotta get a WR) and drafted Bryant Johnson from PSU with that pick.  But they did draft Sean Taylor the next year, so they clearly were in the market for high-level safety play at that point. They had Ifeanyi Ohalete and Matt Bowen starting at S for them in 2003, so it would have been a real possibility. Interesting to think about. 

Wow! We could’ve had Lavar Arrington, Sean Taylor, Troy Polamalu, Shawn Springs, Fred Smoot and Antonio Pierce all on the same D in 2004?? Holy schnikies!

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f298b1628e2fa9c97d63e

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...