MLB Logan Wilson

BZski

He doesn’t fly off the page when you watch him, but he’s good. He doesn’t make spectacular plays and his highlight tape would bore you to death, but that’s fine. I just would have thought he would flash more big impact plays given his athleticism. Not really a knock, just something I noticed watching film. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

He doesn’t fly off the page when you watch him, but he’s good. He doesn’t make spectacular plays and his highlight tape would bore you to death, but that’s fine. I just would have thought he would flash more big impact plays given his athleticism. Not really a knock, just something I noticed watching film. 

Yeah. I think he'll be an A.J. Klein level of player. Quietly put together a relatively long, effective career, but he'll never really stand out. Good instincts but he doesn't get off blocks well enough to be a game-changing run defender. In coverage, he's very good in zone and can man up on TEs effectively, but I don't think he has the twitch to consistently man up on quicker HBs. Kind of a jack of all trades, master of none type imo.

I kind of wonder if you can't get something similar with Joe Bachie on Day 3. The question with him is the PED suspension. But he tested about as well as Wilson. I think Wilson is a better player in coverage right now, but Bachie is a better run defender. Bachie doesn't fight off blocks as well as I wish he did, but he's so quick to his spots and his strength/contact balance shine through when he meets a blocker in the hole. I wish he could use his hands better to disengage, but he will blow up and stalemate pulling OLs in the gaps.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah. I think he'll be an A.J. Klein level of player. Quietly put together a relatively long, effective career, but he'll never really stand out. Good instincts but he doesn't get off blocks well enough to be a game-changing run defender. In coverage, he's very good in zone and can man up on TEs effectively, but I don't think he has the twitch to consistently man up on quicker HBs. Kind of a jack of all trades, master of none type imo.

I kind of wonder if you can't get something similar with Joe Bachie on Day 3. The question with him is the PED suspension. But he tested about as well as Wilson. I think Wilson is a better player in coverage right now, but Bachie is a better run defender. Bachie doesn't fight off blocks as well as I wish he did, but he's so quick to his spots and his strength/contact balance shine through when he meets a blocker in the hole. I wish he could use his hands better to disengage, but he will blow up and stalemate pulling OLs in the gaps.

Bachie is awesome. Love him. He’s an animalistic linebacker. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Bachie is awesome. Love him. He’s an animalistic linebacker. 

I haven't seen many guys who occasionally get themselves out of position by getting to the designed gap before the HB actually does. xD

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I haven't seen many guys who occasionally get themselves out of position by getting to the designed gap before the HB actually does. xD

I coach with his High School linebacker coach now and he said he’s the best player he’s seen come through St. Eds, which is a national powerhouse. Raves about his mentality and his work ethic. A bit unhinged, but that’s a good thing. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah.  This pretty much exactly mirrors my read on him.  He's not amazing, he's not terrible...he's just kinda...there.  Does his job.  I like Jrry's AJ Klein sort of comparison.  Projects for me as, "Good Enough".

I think whatever the OP graphic is, comparing him to Fred Warner is...completely off base.  Warner showed all sorts of splash at BYU.  He flew around and constantly made plays that stood out on tape to me.  I loved watching film on Warner.  With Wilson it's kinda...yeah, okay, that happened.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

He's apparently had online meetings with the Bengals and checks all their boxes in terms of size/speed/production.  Unless one of Murray/Queen fall to the 2nd, seems like Wilson is a strong possibility at 65.

I hope the Lions take him in rd 2 LOL. I must not see the lack of splash plays. I see a 3 down MLB that is really, really good against both the run and the pass. Poor mans Luke Kuchley.

All of a sudden this guy is everywhere. I was listening to a Lance Zierlein podcast today on YouTube and he mentions Logan Wilson out of nowhere. Top 100 player was how he summarized. He also said that instinctive linebackers have it easier in the NFL than college because everything is more straight forward instead of all the jet sweep motion followed by an RPO